Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious Crash on Sean Mulvoy Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

RTE have confirmation that one man was killed and another has serious injuries:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1212/rta.html

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That sounds serious, hopefully it'll mostly be metal damage.

Just read the rte there, RIP

The second picture that RTE have shows 2 cars really badly smashed up and on different sides of the carriageway. I wonder did someone come across onto the other side or something?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It says, 2 Honda Civics and a Meriva (station wagon).

My mind has drawn a conclusion. I hope it's the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The guards are looking for info on the cars prior to the accident. Hopefully they'll find out what caused this. Altho it won't be much consolation to the families. What a tradegy and so close to Christmas. RIP. Very sad.

• Advertisement

Just spoke someone I know who works in an office on the Sean Mulvoy Rd. She said that one car went over the traffic island and into a pole at the ESB. The man in this car was the man who died. A man from one of the other cars is seriously injured. 2 people from the other car were taken to hospital but their injuries aren't too serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It says, 2 Honda Civics and a Meriva (station wagon).

My mind has drawn a conclusion. I hope it's the wrong one.

I think I know what that conclusion is, I kind of had the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I was walking into town this morning up the Headford Rd, all I could see were lines and lines of frustrated angry drivers. Poor them, sitting in traffic, and a man dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

schween wrote: »
    I was walking into town this morning up the Headford Rd, all I could see were lines and lines of frustrated angry drivers. Poor them, sitting in traffic, and a man dead.

If that was an attempt at sarcasm then was a pretty poor one. the drivers would not know what had happened and assume that it was just another holdup. Am sure they would be as shocked and upset as everyone else and pass on their condolences to all

What I'm saying is people seem to whine to much, things could always be worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

A lad here at work says his mother just rang and told him that it was his neighbour and that he was actually 19 and not 29

That's all hearsay though so don't take my word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Went past the scene just after 9am, first Guarda car hadn't long arrived, I think.

Didn't look good at all.

Incidentally, the cars were more or less opposite the main entrance to the petrol station, a good bit up from the ESB & the other side of the road.

Condolensces to the friends & families of those involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah he was 19/20, not 29 as stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

It's terrible news. I am after hearing that a second person has passed away too.
    Hate to draw conclusions but speed would seem to be a factor in this on top of the monsoon like conditions. God love them and their families, it's going to be some Christmas in those households. RIP

Wasn't it around this time last year that two people were killed on the Quin bridge in another bad smash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

2 Honda Civics . Hmmm .

Mind you I am quite concerned about the occupants of the Meriva

0001ed9b10dr.jpg

One civic seems OK

0001ed9a10dr.jpg

That roundabout they seem to have come off is feckin lethal . Too Narrow and too many muppets and never a traffic cop to pull and ticket :( .

Whenever I hear of a fatal crash in Galway one of my first thoughts is that I hope I don't know the person who was killed. I know that means somebody else will have to suffer losing someone, and it's aweful, but I can't help hoping that I don't know the person whenever I hear of something like this.

It's terrible news. I am after hearing that a second person has passed away too.
    Hate to draw conclusions but speed would seem to be a factor in this on top of the monsoon like conditions. God love them and their families, it's going to be some Christmas in those households. RIP

Wasn't it around this time last year that two people were killed on the Quin bridge in another bad smash.

That's aweful if the second person has passed away.

Yeah I think it was about a year ago when a man was killed on the Quincentenary Bridge.

Jesus the car behind the Meriva in the background is a wreck. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    2 Honda Civics . Hmmm .

Mind you I am quite concerned about the occupants of the Meriva

0001ed9b10dr.jpg

One civic seems OK

0001ed9a10dr.jpg

That roundabout they seem to have come off is feckin lethal . Too Narrow and too many muppets and never a traffic cop to pull and ticket :( .

2 Honda Civics???? WTF, are all Civic drivers the cause of accidents???

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Very sad news

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

KevR wrote: »
    That's aweful if the second person has passed away.

It would be great if its not true. One of the lads here in work said he heard it on the news. Just shocking stuff so close to xmas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Your right about the rounadbout its a joke. The exit to the petrol station is way too near to the rounabout too. If a car comes around the rounabout too fast and somebody was pulling out from the petrol station it could be dangerous

The car behind the Meriva ( in the photo) must have come out of the roundabout at some amazing speed to get that far ...is all I will say .

I will say nothing about the black civic at all . The cameras in the Topaz garage it stopped at will do all of that for us :(

It is high time that a special team of traffic plod did some roundabout enforcement in Galway with hi res cameras and all . I would start on a saturday afternoon at the far end of the Sean Mulvoy road from those photos where the standard of roundabout driving should make the Traffic Corps accounts department very happy at a job well done . They should be able to pull in about €500 an hour in spot fines .

I would then bring the lot of them to court and ask the judge send the lot of them on a special course on roundabouts .

Then I would print their names and addresses in the local papers .

Finally I would print group photos of them receiving their certificates in de-muppeting in the papers the following month .

I would do that every weekend for at least a month . It would have a salutary effect on Galway drivers the stupid ignorant ***** .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I feel sorry for anyone involved in this accident, as well as their loved ones.

Are the tyres off the wheels of the black Levin? If they are, it must have gotten one hell of a jolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Went by on my way to college at about 11.30, pretty sure the black car is a Toyota Levin though, wouldnt be uncommon for them to get it wrong.

Was very hard to see how it/what happened. Reckless driving no doubt.

Terrible altogether.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Your right about the rounadbout its a joke. The exit to the petrol station is way too near to the rounabout too. If a car comes around the rounabout too fast and somebody was pulling out from the petrol station it could be dangerous

Not only is that roundabout dangerous but I've always said they should have put some sort of a central crash barrier on the Sean Mulvoy and N6 across the City which would stop cars going across onto the other carriageway for a head on collision.

I know the space is not there on the N6 - therefore it would be highly difficult, costly and cause probably the worst traffic disruption the City has ever seen. Barriers should have been included from the start when they first built it.

But the space is there on the Sean Mulvoy due to the concrete traffic island which is a few wide in the middle of the road. It could be easily done here and while it probably wouldn't have prevented the actual crash today, it would have prevented that man's car going across onto the other carriageway and into the pole - quite possibly (although I won't say definitely) saving his life.

If there had of been a central crash barrier on the Bridge for that crash last year, the man who was killed would probably still be alive today in my opinion. Like I already said above, they should have really made the space and put the barriers in from the start when they were builing the N6 from Ballybrit to Westside.

I can see what happened which means I cannot see how any of the 3 drivers is entirely blameless :(

The Traffic Corps in Galway are responsible. They readily swamp areas bagging people at night but they never swamp a roundabout ticketing muppets for being muppets .

I have never heard of a sudden lane changer getting a ticket in Galway, ever , unless they hit someone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Can only imagine someone was doing high speed going up the hill towards the roundabout, I can't see any way you could come off that roundabout at enough speed to cause a major collision. Its too tight to go round it at any speed. Very strange too considering it was during rush hour...

DeadSkin wrote: »
    2 Honda Civics???? WTF, are all Civic drivers the cause of accidents???

Well, IIRC Civics are quoted as much higher risk than other cars of similar engine size by insurance companies due to their popularity with boy racers...

I have never heard of a sudden lane changer getting a ticket in Galway, ever , unless they hit someone :(

It annoys me that they will position themselves in an un-marked car on the bend of the Tom Hogan Dual Carriageway aiming a speed gun out the window probably trying to catch anyone going 101kmh. But they won't dream of stopping anyone on the same Dual Carriageway who suddenly changes lanes without indicating or who pulls out of the Tom Hogan service station from a STANDING POSITION without using the slip lane to build up speed.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Very strange too considering it was during rush hour...

That struck me aswell. You would think that traffic would have been pretty heavy and therefore it would have be hard to have been going at any sort of high speed in that area. But traffic must not have been too heavy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Das Kitty wrote: »
    A lad here at work says his mother just rang and told him that it was his neighbour and that he was actually 19 and not 29

That's all hearsay though so don't take my word for it.

ya he was 19, i knew of him, messed up. RIP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement