Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious Crash on Sean Mulvoy Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Just after hearing from a friend that the woman who was seriously injured has now also passed away in hospital.

Such a tragedy.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I can see what happened which means I cannot see how any of the 3 drivers is entirely blameless :(

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Zzippy wrote: »
    Well, IIRC Civics are quoted as much higher risk than other cars of similar engine size by insurance companies due to their popularity with boy racers...

Yeah, I know that. But what I was responding too was Spongebob jumping to conclusions. Who's to say the Civic on the other side of the road was at fault of the accident, or was an innocent victim in this.

Spongebob, do tell us what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Passed there at 9.00 this morning and knew something serious was up. Have to say I'm dissappointed regarding the 2 civics?? and the Levin in the photo. I tend to assume the worst when I hear those car types. Could be wrong at the same time. Sympathy to any one involved.

Not really important but that meriva looks more like a marea (fiat) and it looks in a sorry state

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Look at the photos Mandy , FFS :( Look at the multiple damage points on the Meriva ( or is that a Marea guys ...it is hard to tell)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

KevR wrote: »
    That's aweful if the second person has passed away.

Scratch that. Only one person has lost their life thankfully according to Galway bay FM. Apologies for misinformation I had heard that the woman had passed away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Scratch that. Only one person has lost their life thankfully according to Galway bay FM. Apologies for misinformation I had heard that the woman had passed away too.

Someone texted me saying that the woman passed away aswell. I can't find anything about this on the web and I've replied to the person who texted me asking them where they heard it so i'll know if it's definite or not.

Really hope it's not true though.

Look at the photos Mandy , FFS :( Look at the multiple damage points on the Meriva ( or is that a Marea guys ...it is hard to tell)

Ah yes Sponge Bob, the best bit of exercise ya got today, jumping to conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

I know the road, I see the pictures, but I can't honestly understand/visualise how it happened.

And at 9am, when there was bound to be many other cars on the road, thus limiting the speed of all three cars.

Well, seeing as the photos aren't aerial photos, and I'm not a car crash investigator, it's difficult to imagine what happened. The cars look fooked to me, I haven't studied the photos closely looking for each and every dent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

well a car must have been coming up the hill at speed from the magic roundabout, which in my experience is the norm

How would that be though, when 2 of them are on the other side of the road (ie. the Statoil side)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I know the road, I see the pictures, but I can't honestly understand/visualise how it happened.

Ditto.

Could've been a break in traffic and just went for it, easy to pick up speed on the roundabout if you already have a bit of momentum.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Ah yes Sponge Bob, the best bit of exercise ya got today, jumping to conclusions.

The civic, very tragically , is evidently the car that made it the furthest from the roundabout and by a considerable margin !!

The Marea presented a side profile to whichever of the two cars hit it . It was not rear ended .

....and I am old enough to have driven through "Suicide Cross" before that roundabout ever went in so please :rolleyes: !!

I still blame the Traffic Corps for their pathetic non enforcement of roundabout discipline in Galway . This was, more than anything, an inevitable consequence of pathetic and useless policing and of misuse of very generous Traffic Corps resources .

That is my main conclusion :(

I am sure that someone will tell me that I am wrong ( citing examples) and that the Traffic Corps is absolutely brilliant and that it targets intelligently in Galway . I promise to be nice to that person if they show up .

I suspect they won't !

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You are posting complete nonsense on here imo. How can you tell what happened from those photos?

I can tell that they were all heading generally west from suicide cross ! Nobody was heading east from the Headford Road roundabout .

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

The Marea looks like it was flipped - there is a lot of damage on the roof. Thats the only conclusion I'd be willing to jump to.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Don't mean to be insensitive here but does anyone know if the road is open / or will be reopened.

The roof was cut off the Marea by the fire brigade, rear left and right .

So I suppose, one of them pulled out of the Statoil onto Sean Mulvoy Road or something? Maybe the Marea? I still can't see how they'd end up in that position. One of the cars is way down the road (the one that crossed over to the ESB side of the road). I can't account for all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

MS paint representation of what you think happened would be great Sponge.... :o

So I suppose, one of them pulled out of the Statoil onto Sean Mulvoy Road or something?

That is the only way the Marea could have been damaged in that way Mandy . There is no evidence of a rear impact .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Kazooie wrote: »
    Don't mean to be insensitive here but does anyone know if the road is open / or will be reopened.

*GALWAY CITY* Sean Mulvoy Rd has reopened following a serious crash shortly before 9am this morning. Traffic is now very heavy in the city centre, particularly the Headford Rd in both directions. *

aaroadwatch.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

I still blame the Traffic Corps for their pathetic non enforcement of roundabout discipline in Galway . This was, more than anything, an inevitable consequence of pathetic and useless policing and of misuse of very generous Traffic Corps resources .

Personal responsibility has nothing to do with it no?

Whenever I hear of a fatal accident, I feel absolutely no sympathy if the person who causes the accident dies. And by causes the accident I mean speeding, bad driving etc.

I only feel sympathy if people die and the only reason they died is because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If we were all utterly responsible there would be no Traffic Corps !

As there is then the issue arises of how to use it properly , non ???

The Traffic Corps , typically , does not proactively deploy in rain because their radars and lasers do not work . That would be half the time in Galway :( !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Holy fkin ****! How the hell did the cars manage to end up that far apart?! absolutely insane, they must have been doing mental speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Just listening to the radio there it's still stating that only 1 person died and the crash involved 3 men (no mention of a woman)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

I passed about 5-7 mins after it happened at 8:40 on a bike so I was able to go down Sean Mulvoy road.

Fire brigade and ambulance were there but no cops.

From what I could see the guy in Marea looked shook but okay, someone just holding his neck while they got a brace.

The other car was very badly damaged. Either alot of speed or it just crumpled.

The surface on that road is terrible since the job which put that top layer of slop that they use to resurface on the cheap was done. Noticeably slippy especially coming up the hill to the roundabout

The civic, very tragically , is evidently the car that made it the furthest from the roundabout and by a considerable margin !!

The Marea presented a side profile to whichever of the two cars hit it . It was not rear ended .

....and I am old enough to have driven through "Suicide Cross" before that roundabout ever went in so please :rolleyes: !!

That is my main conclusion :(

I am sure that someone will tell me that I am wrong ( citing examples) and that the Traffic Corps is absolutely brilliant and that it targets intelligently in Galway . I promise to be nice to that person if they show up .

I suspect they won't !

Rolleyes all ya want my friend, but from those two photos I am amazed you can come to a definitive conclusion of how that accident happened.

I have stated in other threads here, Traffic Corps my ar$e. There should be a bigger presence of the Traffic Corps on the roads and their number one responsibility should be targetting the a$$holes we all see on the road everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

RIP to the victims.

Surely someone must have been going at a ridiculous speed/acceleration for a fatal accident to occur so close to the roundabout?

I agree that the road surface is terrible there, I always seem to get wheel spin when going into the roundabout there from the Tuam road direction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement