Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious Crash on Sean Mulvoy Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

well my first assumption was that a car was coming up the hill at speed, lost control, crossed the divide and hit the mera head on on the drivers side.
    Not so sure now.

I dont see how you,sponge bob that is, can work out what happened from those 2 photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I haven't read all the posts so sorry if it's i'm repeating...

One car, the estate, was heading downhill on the road towards Terryland Dunnes

The other 2 cars, a Toyota Levin and a Honda Civic were driving up the hill towards the Statoil Station

The levin crossed the road, over the island and stopped facing the Statoil station

The Civic crashed into a pole at the ESB place

I heard a rumour of what was going on, but as it's just that, a rumour, i'm keeping my mouth shut

And yeah, as has been said, the person killed was 19, not 29 and is a local lad

RIP

-Edit- Guys sorry to seem like a jackass here, but some of your theories are WAY off. The roundabout at the Statoil station at the top of the hill is lethal yes, but had NOTHING to do with this accident. The estate car had come off the roundabout and was driving down the road, the other 2 cars were coming UPHILL from Terryland, not from the roundabout. Where the confusion may arouse is "How the fcuk is the levin on the side of the road going downhill" - It was coming up the hill and veered over the island, stopping on the other side of the road

so the levin hit the estate before coming to a stop at the entrance to the petrol station?

skelliser wrote: »
    so the levin hit the estate before coming to a stop at the entrance to the petrol station?

From what i've been told by reliable sources, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

A friend of my dad was behind one of the cars that was hit, not sure which one exactly though. He was beside statoil coming from Bothermore and went down Sean Mulvoy road when another car came over the divide at speed and flew into him.

I passed by at around 8:50 and saw that car wrapped around the pole outside the ESB. Horrible sight, I dunno if the person in that car was the one that died or not but I can't imagine how they escaped. The pole was embedded as far as where the gear box would be, with the rest of the car making a U shape around the pole. Dunno how he got there, was so far away from the other 2 cars.

• Advertisement

Anima wrote: »
    A friend of my dad was behind one of the cars that was hit, not sure which one exactly though. He was beside statoil coming from Bothermore and went down Sean Mulvoy road when another car came over the divide at speed and flew into him.

I passed by at around 8:50 and saw that car wrapped around the pole outside the ESB. Horrible sight, I dunno if the person in that car was the one that died or not but I can't imagine how they escaped. The pole was embedded as far as where the gear box would be, with the rest of the car making a U shape around the pole. Dunno how he got there, was so far away from the other 2 cars.

The Civic was coming up-hill and hit the pole before the Levin went over the verge

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I haven't read all the posts so sorry if it's i'm repeating...

One car, the estate, was heading downhill on the road towards Terryland Dunnes

The other 2 cars, a Toyota Levin and a Honda Civic were driving up the hill towards the Statoil Station

The levin crossed the road, over the island and stopped facing the Statoil station

I heard a rumour of what was going on, but as it's just that, a rumour, i'm keeping my mouth shut

And yeah, as has been said, the person killed was 19, not 29 and is a local lad

RIP

-Edit- Guys sorry to seem like a jackass here, but some of your theories are WAY off. The roundabout at the Statoil station at the top of the hill is lethal yes, but had NOTHING to do with this accident. The estate car had come off the roundabout and was driving down the road, the other 2 cars were coming UPHILL from Terryland, not from the roundabout. Where the confusion may arouse is "How the fcuk is the levin on the side of the road going downhill" - It was coming up the hill and veered over the island, stopping on the other side of the road

That seems spot on. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Oh right, makes a lot more sense. Still, horrible stuff. RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I was wrong so , save in one respect . The Levin and the Civic could not stop in time !

RIP to the victim.

I was stopped at the headford road round about pointing in the headford direction at about 8:45 and Im fairly sure I saw both the Levin and a Blue civic(not sure if its the 1 in the crash as I havnt seen any photos) come of the bridge and head up sean mulvoy road so both were going in the same direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Something like this then John?
    Must have been doing crazy speeds

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I was wrong so , save in one respect . The Levin and the Civic could not stop in time !

Think it was more a stuggle of stayin in control and in a straight line than stopping

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »

when put like that people are going to read between the lines, maybe this should be ended before speculation takes over and we forget the lost of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

Good diagram.

In the photo, it looks like a Honda Civic outside the Statoil...what's this Toyota Levin?? Was it a case of the two cars speeding, and losing control - one crashing into a pole outside the ESB, the other crossing over to the other side of the road and crashing into the estate-type car, then stopping outside the Statoil?

If so, I don't have as much sympathy for the eejits who were speeding. They didn't deserve to die, nor do their families deserve the grief, but seriously....when will boy racers learn that they need to cop on?

I know that the 19-year-old was only young and probably felt invincible, but there comes a stage when they need to realise that they aren't invincible, and have to grow up. You can't always feel sorry for them when they're aware of the dangers of that type of driving.

it's a levin outside statoil..

axiom32 wrote: »
    when put like that people are going to read between the lines, maybe this should be ended before speculation takes over and we forget the lost of life

+1

Mods can we close this, as much as I hate to say it. I have a feeling that this accident could also have legal implications in the future so best to close this thread now (even delete it?) before rumours takeover and our fine Galway 'newspapers' decide to use these forums as a source of their info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Why not let us in on the rumor? All rumors have at least some truth.

I'm guessing the two boys in the hondas where racing each other? Probably stopped at the traffic lights side by side at the "magic roundabout", and decided to have a little race up the hill.

When someone dies why do people get a little coy about saying these things, it's a very Irishesque thing. I want to see on the news a computer generated recreation of all accidents, with the speeds at which the cars were going, points of impact etc.

TBH, whats all this "rip" craic? Due to his actions, his family is left devistated and the people in the other cars could be left without limbs, paralised etc.

because in fairness this is all speculation and her'say.

Plus you shouldnt speak ill of the dead

Because i'm not a loud-mouth cnut who gets pleasure at talking about other people - That's what the newspapers are for

And as said above, it's just a rumour. Would you like stuff being said about you/your family on the Internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I'm guessing the two boys in the hondas where racing each other? Probably stopped at the traffic lights side by side at the "magic roundabout", and decided to have a little race up the hill.

Whether true or not I don't think its fair to suggest that especially since its based off the sterotype that comes with honda civics.
    +1

Mods can we close this, as much as I hate to say it. I have a feeling that this accident could also have legal implications in the future so best to close this thread now (even delete it?) before rumours takeover and our fine Galway 'newspapers' decide to use these forums as a source of their info

+1

+1 on deletion after say page 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Im pretty sure its a free country so dont see why the discussion cant continue?

Have to say when I heard civic I thought of only one thing (and im guessing many others did too)

Caliden wrote: »

Have to say when I heard civic I thought of only one thing (and im guessing many others did too)

Agreed
    but i dont want these comments and theories to help lazy journalists to fill pages in their respective rag sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Caliden wrote: »

Ill be honest, When I read "Honda civic" of course I thought they were at fault. But its not worth saying since it is speculation and that goes double since there was a fatality. My concern (and perhaps others would agree) would be that a family member of the deceased would read this thread, which would be especially bad if it was just an accident and no one is at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Speed is a big part of the reason the accident happened, your car does not get rapped around a pole by magic. Its pretty obvious that the civic is well rapped around that sign pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

live by the sword, die by the sword
    i am just glad that the innocent man in the car going the other way didnt die

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭claireeney

i live behind that road and can see part of it from my window. i drive to work everyday down that road and missed that accident this morning by the luck of god. it shocked me to the core.
    i dont see anything wrong with discussing this. my main interest was to see what happened so i could watch out for it.
    honestly i thought it was someone exiting statoil and cutting off someone. when i seen the levin (which it is) i assumed he flew off the roundabout into someone exiting statoil.
    from the state of the car wrapped around the roundabout sign you couldnt tell what make it was. i thought it was a fiat. looked too big to be civic.
    bottom line i went out to see. levin had damage front and side, car in middle had damage back and side and the other car had damage all over. even though the roof was cut off it looked as if it rolled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Krieg wrote: »
    Whether true or not I don't think its fair to suggest that especially since its based off the sterotype that comes with honda civics.

Just like all non sensationalist rumors have some truth, all stereotypes exist for a reason.

When you have two cars traveling in the same direction, one ends up wrapped around a pole and the other ends up 100 feet further on the opposite side of the road after making ****e of another car, throw into the mix both cars are honda civics, and one is clearly "supped" up from the pictures we can see, I'm pretty sure the first cops on the scene were thinking the exact same thing as alot of people on here are thinking.

There's absolutely no reason why this thread should be closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Folks I'll just say that it does not take massive speed to 'wrap' a car around a pole or to get yourself killed,cars are not as bullet proof as some people think.

RIP to the person that died and speedy recovery to the injured.

Seven Worlds will Collide

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement