Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ide mobo to sata optical drive compatability?

Options
  • 12-12-2008 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

is this possible?
    my PC is 2003 and not sure if it can handle a sata dvd burner.
    On reflection any previous drive i installed had IDE connections (large block type one and smaller power one)
    I have bought a sata dvd burner and wondering is there an adapter out there for this specific task?
    thanks
    john

PS do the lenses (cd/dvd) burn out over time on these optical drives?
    I have a dvd burner that does not recognise either dvd or cd and another that only recognises dvd's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Best go for an IDE burner if you don't have SATA connectors. Check out the manual for your machine or try searching online for this info. You can get adapters but there are mixed reports about how well they actually work.

Yes, the burners do stop working eventually. Had a CD-ROM drive in a 2000-era machine refuse to read most CDs recently but it's to be expected. Good thing the drives are cheap to replace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

any way to get this going at all?
    thanks
    john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

could the problem on both my drives be that there is a conflict as both could be set to either master or slave or whatever the 3rd option is?
    thanks
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Do you have a spare IDE connector? Usually are two if not three. Failing that, put all IDE devices in cable select mode (diagram should be on the drive) as SATA drives don't have jumpers for this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement