Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best books for 5's and unders

Options
  • 12-12-2008 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

Im gonna get some books as Christmas presents for my two nieces. What books would you suggest?

I got them The Gruffalo before and they love it. Currently thinking of Charlie and Lola books at the mo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Gruffalo's Child is another great one.

Smartest Giant in Town would be on a par with the Gruffalo, there's a cd for it out somewhere that has it in song format.

Little Rabbit Foo Foo,
    another one with a rhyme so good you could sing it. I work in preschools, and usually have to go to different ones every other day of the week. have met kids who could remember this book in its entirety by singing it, and they were only 3-4 years old! speaks volumes as to how much they enjoy it, and as to how well it's written, imo.

another book im quite in love with at the moment is Gorgeous, it's got gorgeous pictures, beautiful story, and lovely rhyming, and word-sounds in it. very cute, funny story to it too, really love this one.

The Little Penguin - this is just a beautiful book, the language, the story, and the illustrations are just exquisite. the illustrations have texture to them, so you can feel the bump of the snowflakes, and the penguins' feet, etc. really really beautiful book, boys and girls under 5 seem to love it.

Giraffe's Can't Dance is another favourite in my current preschool, lovely story, pictures, phrasing, ticks all the boxes, really.

lastly, off the top of my head would be The Animal Undies Ball... really enjoyable, funny, and some bits that will fly over the kids' heads but amuse the adults (my favourite line is 'what is this?! underwear and politics?!'). basically, the animals have a special undie ball every year, and all turn up in their undies, but certain animals can't find undies to fit, and are excluded, so turn up angry, and then they all have to figure out what to do... eventually decide that going in their birthday suits is the best option. kids love it anyway :D

there's others, i know, but ill think of them later :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Room on the broom
    we're going on a bear hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Every child needs a Richard Scarry book in their bookcase - I loved 'What do people do all day'! Good value on www.play.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

for young kids (1.5-3)

"Farmer Duck" is a goodie - very simple but the love the idea of knowing whats coming!

Charlie and Lola are also great as are the "How do Dinosaurs ..." eat their food, go to bed, tidy their room etc.

"Monkey Puzzle" and "Room on the Broom" are classics

"The 3 little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig" is brilliant and a good snigger for the adults

The Dora books go down well but are head wrecking to read repeatedly

Things change quite significantly at about 4 - much more sophisticated - practically adults in their own minds, particularly if there is a younger sybling, so making a distinction can be a good plan. (we put maggot minor to bed first reading her story to both then read maggot major his story - makes him feel really grown up while enjoying the "baby" story)

We have read "The Hobbit" - Graphic novel version, great pictures and oddly enough they all seemed to end up getting safely tucked up for bed about every 5 pages or so! (won't get away with that for too much longer)

"Thomas the Tank Engine" - the big story book is also ideal as the stories are 3-4 pages long with a picture and about two paragraphs of text per page so putting the bookmark in place is a good prelude to bed.

We are currently reading "The BFG" which is going down a treat as he can recognise letters and (very) simple words which gets him very excited about learning to read!

Duck In A Truck - brilliant book! rhyming, humour, sound effects.. one that's asked for over and over,a nd i have no problems reading over and over again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

Room on the broom

I love room on the broom, also monkey puzzel is good, same author as the gruffalo.

my favourite is the tiger that came to tea.

not a fan of the charlie and lola books, not for under 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Thanks for all the replys!

Its always better to get some advice as some books are wonderful for kids and others aren't, and only people around kids know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

any winnie the pooh,thomas,dora(even my little lad likes it)and most definitely Charlie and Lola

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

the daisy books are a nice read, funny, cheeky books

link

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

I know its after christmas now but I have loads of suggestions for future book presents,

tiddler
    gruffalo's child (if they don't already have that one)
    a squash and a squeeze (love this one)
    guess how much I love you
    stick man
    sometimes i like to curl up in a ball
    don't put your finger in the jelly nelly
    ketchup on your cornflakes
    how to catch a star
    billy's bucket
    don't eat the teacher

• Advertisement

.... so, how'd they go down? what'd you get in the end?

Advertisement