Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

be wary of strange facebook mails

Options
  • 12-12-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

There is a virus/trojan doing the rounds via a facebook e-mail so delete if you get any strange message. I somehow opened a mail from a registered friend on facebook (similiar to any other message), my anti virus had just gone out of date and now my lappie is infected with internet aids and is in hospital:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Ye this is quite old, was going around bebo also.

A "Freind" would send you a PM with the title saying "OMG WOW"
    and the description would say that you are in a video and you loo pretty wasted.

I opened this mail and got a nasty virus, I had to re install vista, pretty sick

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Laxie

Am I right in saying you didn't get the virus by opening the Facebook mail, but by opening the link/attachment posted in that mail? MSN is the same at the minute. People from your list sending a link that if you click on it, gives you a virus. So unless you're sure the person actually sent it to you - DON'T CLICK THE LINK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

flushje wrote: »
    Ye this is quite old, was going around bebo also.

A "Freind" would send you a PM with the title saying "OMG WOW"
    and the description would say that you are in a video and you loo pretty wasted.

I opened this mail and got a nasty virus, I had to re install vista, pretty sick

Bit of an over reaction. It's pretty easy to remove without reinstalling Vista. It is a pain though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Oh not, not facebook. Just as well boards is my only internet social dealie thing.

Nasty viruses are horrible though. I got one a couple of years ago on my pc that stopped me connecting to the internet. Itinvolved mucho annoyance on my part fixing it, and I can only imagine the horror someone not familiar with how to do this feels when their computer fails to work. It must be like me when my car is broken I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Bit of an over reaction. It's pretty easy to remove without reinstalling Vista. It is a pain though.

Okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

eh... just buy a Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

cuterob wrote: »
    eh... just buy a Mac

this is less and less true.

article on the bbc wevsite about it. it's called the koobface virus. it looks for your credit card details.

to delete it, no need to reinstall windows:

as per website

"Just go to your Windows directory and search for these two files: tmark2.dat and mstre6.exe.

"If you find either of them delete them straight away."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Yeah i got a strange mail from facebook the other day. Jackyback added you as a friend *shivvers* :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Just got this yesterday, thankfully 1 of my buddys warned me not to open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

I opened it but the antivirus protected me. I get one every couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Flushdraw wrote: »
    Yeah i got a strange mail from facebook the other day. Jackyback added you as a friend *shivvers* :pac: :pac:

How do you take someone of your friends list on Facebook?:rolleyes: My work PC is back running thankfully and Kaspersky Anti Virus is now fully loaded. Was looking like i had to do a system restore at one point whoch would have been a pain.
    On a side note how can you make a backup or copy of PokerTracker for the 2nd time this year it looked as if i was going to loose all my data.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

my anti virus had just gone out of date and now my lappie is infected

I use the free anti-virus package from AVG and it stopped this opening on Bebo.

Free subscription and no need to renew.

http://free.avg.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

AVG is the nuts, I use AVG pro though, I think the only difference is more regular updates and a few extra features.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

**** i opened that yoke by accident yesterday but haven't had any problems. maybe avg caught it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

**** i opened that yoke by accident yesterday but haven't had any problems. maybe avg caught it

ye prob caught it, for some strange reason my work lappies anti virus had expired and it got through. Worth checking avg history to see if it caught it as it took a few hours to get in and rightly fook up things on my system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

tipp86 wrote: »
    I opened it but the antivirus protected me. I get one every couple of days.

open it every couple of days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd do a full anti virus scan in safe mode just to be sure. Also, scan for malware and spyware with.

Advertisement