Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Damaged Wheel

Options
  • 12-12-2008 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

i damaged my alloy rim on a monsterious pot hole

so i went to garage today to get new tyre as i though i needed that , the owner said it was the rim that was damaged at the back , it was buckled etc

he said send in a letter with proof of pics and u may get money from them for the damage

i know its probably very unlikely , but where would i send my details too ?? any ideas

i mean we all pay road tax for roads and this road is a joke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    i damaged my alloy rim on a monsterious pot hole

so i went to garage today to get new tyre as i though i needed that , the owner said it was the rim that was damaged at the back , it was buckled etc

he said send in a letter with proof of pics and u may get money from them for the damage

i know its probably very unlikely , but where would i send my details too ?? any ideas

i mean we all pay road tax for roads and this road is a joke

To the county council of the area you hit the pothole in. It happened me before but i couldn't get any money out of them even though i did €200 worth of damage :mad:

If you need to get your wheel fixed, go to Collins engineering in Bray, highly recommended. www.wefixalloywheels.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

As far as I know, you need to show that the council were aware of the pothole and did nothing to repair it before you can claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

felim wrote: »
    As far as I know, you need to show that the council were aware of the pothole and did nothing to repair it before you can claim.

Council will not pay for it!

I tried this before i was pi$$ed walked into the council office with the wheel asked to speak to the highest person there still said nothing they could do!

The pothole in question was about 5 inches deep too! It was surprising fixed within two days though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

yeah happened to me and couldnt get a cent off the council

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The law on this is as follows:

If they carry out a poor repair or leave the road in the condition which damaged the car, then they are bound to pay.
    If a pot hole develops from normal wear & tear they are not liable.
    So in OPs case, if the pothole showed signs of being repaired previously(loose chipping around it etc) then he may have a claim or alternatively, if he had reported it numerous times and no action taken, then they would also be liable.
    I cant remember the dates etc but there was a document produced which was supposed to pass into irish law which would have compelled the councils to maintain the roads properly but guess what, the irish government put it on the never ending finger as usual. This is why we cannot claim for damage due to poor road. We can only claim for poor works carried out by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

miceal wrote: »
    The pothole in question was about 5 inches deep too! It was surprising fixed within two days though :rolleyes:

Ya and well then do fill them, they fill them with stones. Dopes.

Op, there's been many an unsuccessful post in this forum with people looking for money for the same reason. You'll have to try avoid the craters from now on.

Advertisement