Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Refueling from 2010 - Offical

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Hmmm, interesting changes. Jordan would have loved to make it as far as these changes!!

I think these energry effeciency practices will eventually result in less loud cars, people like the noise!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

It seems like the powers in F1 are hitting the panic button desparately trying to revive their sport. If they used their heads and thought out some sensible ideas then they might be able to, I don't think this is sensible or smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Deadzone

Like making it a sport for drivers again not the techies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

* For a race weekend there will be standardised radio and telemetry systems, a ban on tyre warmers, mechanical purging of tyres, and most crucially, a ban on refuelling.

For the entire weekend, that'll be some fuel tank:D

I think this is a good idea, force economy which will in turn feed into conventional road cars over time. It will potentially make KERS even more important to, eeking out every bit of available energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Interesting times ahead in F1. Im not sure about having no pitstops but if it works at providing more overtaking it will be a good thing.
    A possible standard kers system for 2010? So basically any development on kers so far and for 2009 has been for nothing (unless it is actually usefully in 2009 which i doubt).
    Im glad the medal idea was not considered. I wonder if this is what the FAI calls market research? Its a pity they dont show the results of the poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I'm not sure about a few of these rules.

The ban on refuelling is ok but banning tyre warmers is unsafe imo. Its bad enough trying to get heat into the tyres at the moment but without tyre warmers they will be completely cold coming out from the pits. It could be very dangerous if a car comes out trying to defend a position from full speed car. I also don't think it would cost that much to have a few tyre warmers running, considering all the teams currently have them and surely the cost of maintaining them can't justify banning them, but thats just my opinion.

The ban on mechanical purging of tyres I also can't see saving the teams much money as they will just do it manually instead and again they already have the equipment to do it available.

I like the ban on testing during the season because I think it will lead to teams putting a lot more effort in during Friday practice and trying to make the most of the time they have on track, which only benefits the spectators at the track.

I'm not sure about the medals idea, I think I actually like it. I like the idea that the driver who wins the most races wins the championship and agree it would make the drivers race for the win rather than take the safe option of a few points. I also never liked the idea of only having 2 point difference between 1st an 2nd, an idea that was only brought in to stop Schumacher from dominating. It won't affect the constructors championship either as the current points system will be kept for it so the small teams will still have something to race for too.

I'm totally opposed to shortening race distances, I think it will detract from the spectacle of a race weekend and possibly reduce the attraction of attending a race.

I don't understand the logic behind standardising KERS either, the reason for introducing it was that the competitive nature of F1 would speed the advancement of the technology and make it easier to implement in road cars. surely standardising it will go against that and mean the development will slow because there is no competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

dor83 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about a few of these rules.

The ban on refuelling is ok but banning tyre warmers is unsafe imo. Its bad enough trying to get heat into the tyres at the moment but without tyre warmers they will be completely cold coming out from the pits. It could be very dangerous if a car comes out trying to defend a position from full speed car.

I probably will get slated by someone here for this but are/were tyre warmers not allowed in champ car series?
    Was that not what Montoya was untouchable on ?
    After a pitstop he was able to put in a blinding fast lap and that was where he was able to make up time?

Only posting by memory :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Why not just give out the point at the end quialifing, that would save lots of money. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I probably will get slated by someone here for this but are/were tyre warmers not allowed in champ car series?
    Was that not what Montoya was untouchable on ?
    After a pitstop he was able to put in a blinding fast lap and that was where he was able to make up time?

Bourdais too when ChampCar was still on the go, but the drivers are so close that the lack of tyre warmers will make damn all difference overall.

amacachi wrote: »
    But the drivers are so close that the lack of tyre warmers will make damn all difference overall.

I am not so sure about that.
    Some drivers will be able to handle cold tyrese better than others along with some cars ( McLaren ) seem to be able to get the heat into them faster than others.
    Should point to an advantage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

vectra wrote: »
    I am not so sure about that.
    Some drivers will be able to handle cold tyrese better than others along with some cars ( McLaren ) seem to be able to get the heat into them faster than others.
    Should point to an advantage

Well with the completely redesigned cars and the knowledge of the tyre-warmers being banned in advance, I'm sure most of the teams will have it covered somewhat better than Ferrari did last year. Even with the current cars I'd've thought at most it would make a difference of a half second.

Not to worried about the tyre warmers it will make the first few laps after a stop more interesting and I'm sure bridgestone will use tyres that will heat up quicker anyway.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I'm sure bridgestone will use tyres that will heat up quicker anyway.

But wouldnt tyres that heat up faster go off earlier during a race ?

vectra wrote: »
    But wouldnt tyres that heat up faster go off earlier during a race ?
    Possibly but i guess that would depend on the tyre. What i probably should have said was bridgestone will come up with a tyre that will work better starting cold, how they do that i don't know.

Advertisement