Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom idiots...selling 3-7mb for a 1mb line..anything for a sale

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Kenno90 wrote: »
    give eircom a go they are far more reliable then any wireless BB , they don't suffer from interference

Interference is only an issue, if the network isn't well managed and you can't get the same upload speeds on DSL as on fixed wireless. Also latency can be very much better on wireless, it can be worse, too, depending on who build the network.

But that kind of discussion could last forever and there's always for and against. Just try read the complaints here on the forums about people on high interleave and 7.2 meg and you see how bad dsl can get.

/Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

i suppose it's just my sister had wireless BB , and i thought it was terrible , it would depend on where in the house you were ,if you were near a window and i could never watch a video because the buffer would be constantly loading , that was with clearwire , which are you's using

Kenno90 wrote: »
    i suppose it's just my sister had wireless BB , and i thought it was terrible , it would depend on where in the house you were ,if you were near a window and i could never watch a video because the buffer would be constantly loading , that was with clearwire , which are you's using

There are many products, that are called "wireless". What you are describing is a product with an indoor receiver. Clearwire and Ripwave are notoriously for bad speeds.

Also 3G devices suffer similar issues.

If you take IBB Breeze, Digiweb, ourselves (Airwire) and most of the other wireless providers, that is fixed wireless. It's an entire different kettle of fish, because the antenna is mounted fixed outside the building and pointed to a mast.

I'm on 3 meg in Roscommon and get this result:
    415128833.png

Speed is slightly dropping off, because I use house internal wireless. The ping times is something you hardly see on DSL.

So don't just take any wireless product and put it in the same basket. There are at least 4 or 5 different flavours and they range in quality from rubbish to fiber quality, where fixed wireless, if done right, is better than dsl.

/Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,903 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Marlow wrote: »
    And if you read your mail end of january, given that you supplied us with your email-address, you're going to be on 1 mbit/s before end of march, if you not already are .. for the same 30 eur. (1.5 meg goes to 2 meg).

I don't see, why you think it's expensive, because the phoneline alone is around 25 eur .. in a bundle you're up around 45-50 EUR for 1 meg DSL (128 kbit upload), but alone the hassle with eircom customer service and the lack of broadband is actually, why we started airwire. Just didn't want that kind of hassle anymore.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Technical Manager
    Airwire

And when i made the original post in dec it was long before the email stating that you were upgrading me to 1mb at no extra cost.
    If you think 30eu pm for 512 was competitive then ill have to disagree
    and 45pm for the 1.5mb was very expensive.
    My speeds haven't increased yet either but I know that will come.

Im greatful to have you guys where i live (given the nitemare i had trying to use the 3 modem for a year) also and that was my only
    negative comment amonst all the postive ones
    Installation was expensive also.
    The bottom line was this,

Why wouldnt i want a 3mb broadband package with eircom
    with line rental, unlimited local and national calls (off peak),
    free set sports online and the download allowance of 30gb is
    sufficient.
    The cost of this 3mb dsl package is actually 50eu pm.
    http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0155858730.1235274020@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadegifkfggicefeceiedffndffj.0&cid=3MbFriends&site=Res
    Ok, so we all know eircom cs sucks bigtime but that was still
    a huge saving over a year for me at the time they rang me.
    You pay for the savings in a way when things go wrong with
    eircom but at the end of the day...money talks.

mailburner wrote: »
    And when i made the original post in dec it was long before the email stating that you were upgrading me to 1mb at no extra cost.
    If you think 30eu pm for 512 was competitive then ill have to disagree
    and 45pm for the 1.5mb was very expensive.
    My speeds haven't increased yet either but I know that will come.

Im greatful to have you guys where i live (given the nitemare i had trying to use the 3 modem for a year) also and that was my only
    negative comment amonst all the postive ones
    Installation was expensive also.
    The bottom line was this,

Why wouldnt i want a 3mb broadband package with eircom
    with line rental, unlimited local and national calls (off peak),
    free set sports online and the download allowance of 30gb is
    sufficient.
    The cost of this 3mb dsl package is actually 50eu pm.
    http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0155858730.1235274020@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadegifkfggicefeceiedffndffj.0&cid=3MbFriends&site=Res
    Ok, so we all know eircom cs sucks bigtime but that was still
    a huge saving over a year for me at the time they rang me.
    You pay for the savings in a way when things go wrong with
    eircom but at the end of the day...money talks.

At the moment im in mayo using eircom 3mb dsl and it sure
    is sweet to be getting this speed especially when im only
    used to a fraction of it.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/415879472.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Locking you into a 1 year contract for a 3mbit package on an amber line is fraud . The line simply cannot take it . If you are over 3miles from the Monivea or Menlough exchange that is a certainty .

Ring the salesman back and record the conversation, this could be very very interesting .... and no it is not illegal becuase they rang you first and you are only seeking clarity :D

It IS illegal. It will not stand up in court unless you have the permission to record the call... ;)
    At 3 miles ( cable length) you may qualify for a 3mbit because you _could_ get more than 1mbit ....if not a tad more than 2mbit .

There is no way you should be offered a 7.6 package on that line becuase it cannot exceed 3mbits .

That is fraud , in fact an outragous fraud seeing as they are locking you into a 1 year contract on a product they cannot and will not deliver :(

Next time get a name and direct number !

Did you get anything in writing whitelight , I bet you have no account number so you can't even complain :p

The contract would be void if the product wasn't what the customer ordered.

Marlow. Wireless is rubbish, Clearwire, 3g, airwire, digiweb. The lot of ye are rubbish and unreliable. The amount of downtime I have had is unreal. It's a pity that the consumer is held to ransom for the sake of a half arsed service. 30 euro for 1MB crap is a joke. I pay 50 a month for 8MB with cable TV too... Take a look at my sig for the speeds. Zero downtime too.

This is what everyone with broadband should be getting. People are paying for what they think is good, because they will upgrade from dial up, in reality the 1 mb connection works no better than adsl...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Marlow. Wireless is rubbish, Clearwire, 3g, airwire, digiweb. The lot of ye are rubbish and unreliable. The amount of downtime I have had is unreal. It's a pity that the consumer is held to ransom for the sake of a half arsed service. 30 euro for 1MB crap is a joke. I pay 50 a month for 8MB with cable TV too... Take a look at my sig for the speeds. Zero downtime too.

Very general there, Anyone who classes Clearwire, 3G, Digiweb and Airwire in the same category obviously hasn't a clue what they're talking about. Not all forms of wireless are the same. Both Digiweb and Airwire are FIXED Wireless, a reciever is FIXED to Your wall/chimney and are cabled to your pc. Fixed wireless done properly is superior to DSL in that it has lower pings (sub 20ms), higher uploads (try using an ip phone on 1mbit DSL with a shítty 128kbps upload) and can cover greater distances (up to 20km, copper falls off after 5km).

You've also got to remember that not everyone lives in suburbia like You. Ireland has a very rural population, its very unique, not comparable to the UK even. Magnet target a niche market in the big towns/cities only. And You're going to see more of the bigger towns/cities moving further ahead of the rural areas as the few providers fight for the suburban customers and its left to the likes of Airwire and Digiweb to cover the areas left over thet nobody else (including Eircom) see as cost effective.

Then of course we've got the notorious National Broadband Scheme which was awarded to 3, imagine what the likes of Airwire and Digiweb could have done with that money, instead of giving it away to 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It IS illegal. It will not stand up in court unless you have the permission to record the call... ;)..

You ring and say "This call may be recorded for training purposes" at the voice prompt .

Then you may legally record and use it . How complicated is that :)

If they say "This call may be recorded for training purposes" you repeat it back "This call may be recorded for training purposes"

Like duhhh people !

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Very general there, Anyone who classes Clearwire, 3G, Digiweb and Airwire in the same category obviously hasn't a clue what they're talking about. Not all forms of wireless are the same. Both Digiweb and Airwire are FIXED Wireless, a reciever is FIXED to Your wall/chimney and are cabled to your pc. Fixed wireless done properly is superior to DSL in that it has lower pings (sub 20ms), higher uploads (try using an ip phone on 1mbit DSL with a shítty 128kbps upload) and can cover greater distances (up to 20km, copper falls off after 5km).

You've also got to remember that not everyone lives in suburbia like You. Ireland has a very rural population, its very unique, not comparable to the UK even. Magnet target a niche market in the big towns/cities only. And You're going to see more of the bigger towns/cities moving further ahead of the rural areas as the few providers fight for the suburban customers and its left to the likes of Airwire and Digiweb to cover the areas left over thet nobody else (including Eircom) see as cost effective.

Then of course we've got the notorious National Broadband Scheme which was awarded to 3, imagine what the likes of Airwire and Digiweb could have done with that money, instead of giving it away to 3.

Exactly
    Just imagine
    3s customer service is the worst in the country
    and it didnt help when their cs was based in mumbai
    where everything was read from a script.
    Lame excuses everytime i rang.
    When they upgraded their network around aug 07 the
    mobile bb was gone for over a week yet everytime i rang
    they said 24\48hrs
    What a disaster that was and anyone thinking of
    getting 3 mobile broadband because its cheaper than
    vodafone then please dont. Its completely useless.
    Then again maybe that applies to all mobile bb but in my
    experience nothing is as bad as three (tho meteor cs comes close)
    How they saw fit to award 3 the broadband rollout is anyones guess.

mailburner wrote: »
    Thanks dub
    Just finished the letter with the mention of joe duffy.
    Hopefully this will do the trick.

Got a call from eircom there telling me i was billed in error
    for one way sat broadband for 2months and that the
    bill would be wiped.

Maybe the letter did the trick...who knows?
    But a call back from eircom when you have
    problems is a rarity so it must have worked

At least i'm rid of them forever now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Wireless is ok for rural Ireland, even at that it is rubbish. They are charging through the roof for a rubish service. They are continuously upgrading their masts. Or the mast is down. Digiweb, airwire, 3G and clearwire are ALL wireless, regardless of what you say or think. This fixed wireless is a load of crap. 20KM range for wireless is complete and utter rubbish too. I was 1KM from the mast, maybe a little more and it was a rubbish connection. Having a line is a lot better as the connection is a lot more stable. It is also a lot faster. No matter who tells you what, ALL wireless is rubbish, cable is excellent.

It's unfortunate that magnet are not more widespread, but I don't think they are around that long. All companies started this way, in the big towns first, then smaller ones then out to the rural areas. I would think magnet will do the same after they get their share of the market.

Digiweb would have made a balls of it if they got the contract. They are one of the worst companies to deal with in Ireland, not only in the broadband industry, but all industries.
    You ring and say "This call may be recorded for training purposes" at the voice prompt .

Then you may legally record and use it . How complicated is that :)

If they say "This call may be recorded for training purposes" you repeat it back "This call may be recorded for training purposes"

Like duhhh people !

Like Duhhh spongebob, it is not legal. It won't hold up as evidence in court. If they agree to you recording it then it is fine.

Wireless is ok for rural Ireland, even at that it is rubbish.
    It's unfortunate that magnet are not more widespread, but I don't think they are around that long. All companies started this way, in the big towns first, then smaller ones then out to the rural areas. I would think magnet will do the same after they get their share of the market.

Did you know, that your traffic at any give time can travel over fixed wireless links on licensed frequencies, so it's rubbish, too ?
    Magnet, Smart, Eircom and many others are using fixed wireless transmission circuits for both data and voice, where they can't get fiber, like Three Rock (no fiber there, dude). Ever wondered, why Eircom had that many masts ?

Magnet also has a fixed wireless business themselves (they bought Leap).

Also, Magnet is around for quite a while. We had circuits from them 3 years ago and they have, like most of the other ISPs, only targeted the cities, not rural areas.

Educate yourself on what you are talking about, before you making such statements, because clearly, you don't know a thing about what's going on in the telecoms industry.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mattymagic

Sorry for english but is not my mother language :)
    This is a letter that I send do Eircom and it's describe my situation with them. Kind of joke, but not funny any more :(

To: Eircom LTD
    Dear Sir or Madam:
    On 1st of March 2010 I received letter Re: Termination Notice in respect of Account Number: 0000000. Signed by Mr John Flynn, Collections Manager.

I’m not sure if right hand knows what left does in Eircom or all action taken is done with premeditation. The first of all I never asked to be Eircom costumer.

This story began on 30th of October 2009, when Eircom sales representative R. F. visited me at home. She told me nice story about eircom broadband nearest future (that just after Christmas broadband will be up to 8 mb in price of 1 mb), she fill the form and informed me that I can cancel this in 7 days. Sales rep. told me that document that she’s giving to me is not an order it’s only an offer valid 7 days. By Eircom costumer service I was told that is not true that broadband speed will “magically” increase for price of 1 mb one. So I cancel it on 6th of November 2009, which was confirmed on 24th of November at 11:30 by Complain Department. On that day I informed Eircom that illegal action was taken by them, and I was transferred against my will from Vodafone to Eircom. Complain Department confirmed this and apologised me, and I was told that all costs up to date are cancelled (62.15 Euro).
    I rang Vodafone and told them what happened, that my provider was changed against my will and I would like to be their costumer again – that was on 26th/11/2009 at 14:30 and I was talking with G. I was promised that everything will be sorted. I was not thinking about my provider any longer, we used phone and broadband as usual. On 6th of January 2010 I rang Vodafone to complain about broadband speed. I was told that I’m not a Vodafone costumer… Mr B from costumer care told me at 19:00 hour that he need to place new order for me (I didn’t agree to pay new fees, I told that I want to pay as old costumer – I was with BT and than I accept new agreement with Vodafone). On 9th of January 2009 my wife received phone call from Vodafone and she was given UAN 000000. Now we fought that it’s sorted. Wrong.
    On 26th of January 2010 my wife asked me to ring Vodafone to check our status… I was talking with T in costumer care and T informed me that Mr. B by mistake cancel my order. I was promised that now everything will be grand. Wrong.
    On 20th of January 2010 we received bill for 276.11 Euro from Eircom. I rang Costumer Care on 20th of January 2010 at 14:15 and I was talking with T. I informed her that this bill that was only contact from Eircom with me from 30th of October 2009 when Sales rep. visit me at home. I informed her that I will not pay this bill in full because I didn’t ask to be Eircom costumer and that I was transferred illegally by Eircom. She told me that I would need to pay that bill anyway.
    I asked Eircom to find fair solution. Answer was Payment Notice dated 1st of February 2010 and another one dated on 8th of February 2010.

On 23rd of February 2010 at 15:40 I was informed by Vodafone that I need to contact Eircom because my order is freeze by Eircom. I rang Eircom at 15:47 same day and I told my story in short version again, I was told that it will be passed to Operation Manager. On 24th of February 2010 at 11:45 I receive phone from Eircom and I was told that everything should be ok and they don’t understand why Vodafone cannot take my account. I suggest that it’s maybe because outstanding payment, but I was told that there should be no problem.
    At 13:54 I rang Vodafone and I was talking to gentleman E. Q. I told him my story from the beginning and I authorise him to ring Eircom on my behalf. He rang me back and informed me that I need to clear my account with Eircom first, than they (Vodafone) will be able to transfer my account back.
    I was told by M from Eircom Complain Department that I have to pay full amount and this is decision made by L C. M also read to me comments made by L in the system for example: “I advise Mr N on 24 November 2009 to contact Vodafone which was never made” – False - I contact Vodafone several times.
    I was told that, because I was using Eircom service I have to pay for it and it’s my fault that my account is still with Eircom, because I gave by mistake wrong account number to Vodafone. My “mistake” concerning my account number wouldn’t be a subject of any discussion now if Eircom didn’t make me their client illegally without my agreement at all, because I cancelled Eircom offer in due time (with in 7 days). I paid for all call charges 83.41 Euro (from 9/11/09 till 15/01/10 including vat), but Eircom must pay for their fault – call it straight – illegal action taken to gain new costumer. I told to M that I’m waiting for fair solution.

And I received today (1st March 2010) Termination Notice.

Conclusion:
    From 18th February 2010 our incoming and outgoing calls are cut off.
    Never before I received such a disrespect and unfairness. This philosophy of running business is unacceptable. Gangsters’ monopoly methods. Bigger always is right. I disagree and I hope that Fair Play in business will win.
    By “Consumer Protection Act 2007” is describe as Aggressive practices
    I’m still waiting for fair solution.

Yours sincerely,

M N

Cc:
    • Eircom Collection Manager John Flynn
    • Vodafone
    • National Consumer Agency
    • Joe Duffy, Radio 1, RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't think this bares much relevance to the 2 year old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mattymagic

new thread is needed :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I honestly dont think that anyone here can help you with this problem I would suggest that you contact comreg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement