Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another brain teaser

Options
  • 12-12-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭

A man told his son that he would give him $1000 if he could accomplish the following task. The father gave his son ten envelopes and a thousand dollars, all in one dollar bills. He told his son, "Place the money in the envelopes in such a manner that no matter what number of dollars I ask for, you can give me one or more of the envelopes, containing the exact amount I asked for without having to open any of the envelopes. If you can do this, you will keep the $1000."

When the father asked for a sum of money, the son was able to give him envelopes containing the exact amount of money asked for. How did the son distribute the money among the ten envelopes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

he leaves all the enevlopes blank and fills them with what ever amount his father asks for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

gavredking wrote: »
    he leaves all the enevlopes blank and fills them with what ever amount his father asks for.

no he just beat his father up and legs it with the money. :rolleyes:

seriously. all the envelopes have money

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

generally the easy answer is the right one.....not this time though. :pac: ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭BeautifulLoser

I think this is it
    1 - 1
    2 - 2
    3 - 4
    4 - 8
    5 - 16
    6 - 32
    7 - 64
    8 - 128
    9 - 256
    10 -489

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

I think this is it
    1 - 1
    2 - 2
    3 - 4
    4 - 8
    5 - 16
    6 - 32
    7 - 64
    8 - 128
    9 - 256
    10 -489

correct!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Are they brown envelopes?
    Because if so the amount in them will to be different to the amount declared by the poli.. father.:rolleyes:

Advertisement