Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini & Maxi Regional Sat Nav's

Options
  • 12-12-2008 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wanted to post that the mini and maxi regional sat nav's are still in stock in the Halfords branch in navan. I got the maxi one the bigger screen one for 69euro. I think the mini one is a bit cheaper, not sure exactly how much. I remember someone saying some of the halfords were out of stock. I only heard about navan having a halfords, seems to be brand new store so hope this is of some help to anyone looking for it.

By the way I bought this maxi one as a present, can the maps be updated? I dont know much about them but the guy said there was a card in the box??? whats the card for? apologies if thats a stupid question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

If you buy a TomTom or Garmin unit, there is a registration card in the box, which you can use on the manufacturers website to register your unit. This can only be done once, as it allows the new user to download the latest maps for that unit. It's a "Latest Map Guarantee", and can only be used once.

The Route 66 units do not have a registration card, in the box, and seem to have Navteq maps from Q4 2007. As yet, I haven't connected mine up, so I'm not sure about updates.
    There is a Saftware update on the Route 66 website, but that is for the user interface, not the maps.

I'll get back to you when I get a chance to check out the Maxi.

Sorry, my mistake, the Route 66 Maxi, that I bought yesterday, only has Q2 2007 maps pre-installed. Still haven't figured out about updates yet.

Highly recommend you do the software update, which can be downloaded free from the website (www.66.com) as it greatly improves the user interface.

These units both come with Navteq Q2 2007 maps. The latest map available from Route 66 is Q3 2008, but this will cost you 50euro, as Route 66 do not have a "latest map guarantee".
    There is a Q4 2008 map update with Navteq, but this is not available from Route 66 yet.

Apparently Route 66 will allow a free map update to Q3 2008, after providing proof of purchase and serial number. I've sent an email to customer support requesting further info. I'll let you know how it goes.

I got an email reply from Route 66 support, saying that I need to send them a copy of my receipt (taken a picture), and a screenshot, captured using Route 66 Sync software, of the maps loaded onto the device, to qualify for an update to Q3 2008.

I'll do this on Monday, when I get my camera, and I'll let you know how it went.

• Advertisement

P.S. I bought two of the minis for other people, but had the vision to get seperate receipts! If you're going to buy a few of these, at the same time, remember to buy them seperately and get individual receipts. Might make getting the updates easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

mrmac wrote: »
    P.S. I bought two of the minis for other people, but had the vision to get seperate receipts! If you're going to buy a few of these, at the same time, remember to buy them seperately and get individual receipts. Might make getting the updates easier?

Thanks a million for getting the mini for me, send email to support for updates so hopefully I get them.
    Thanks again for getting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

mrmac wrote: »
    I got an email reply from Route 66 support, saying that I need to send them a copy of my receipt (taken a picture), and a screenshot, captured using Route 66 Sync software, of the maps loaded onto the device, to qualify for an update to Q3 2008.

I sent in my receipt and got the voucher from route66 for Q3 08 maps. Problem is getting the new maps onto maxi device. The card is 512mb and the new maps are 260mb so you must delete the old maps. I can't manage to do this. I've gone into the maxi device and selected the old maps and clicked delete so the device thinks the old maps are deleted but the space on the card has not been free'd up. I've also tried going into mass storage mode and looking at the contents of the card in windows explorer. It is only showing 40mb of files on the card but shows only 219mb of free space on the card so there must be a hiding mechanism built into the device?

Any ideas greatly apreciated :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

turn your maxi / mini into a beast by installing igo 8.....

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

eirlink wrote: »
    turn your maxi / mini into a beast by installing igo 8.....

Hi Eirlink, I have tried doing this lots of times but can never get it to work. Any advice or links to an explanation of how to do it that works please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement