Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those white wine fans

Options
  • 12-12-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Tried the Orballo Albarino last night. A Decanter medal winner from Spain.

Lovely alternative to Chardonnay or Sauvignon. Very bright and pale lemon in colour. Forward fruity citrus and stone fruit aromas. Well balanced and very refreshing. Frank at Robert Francis Wine gave this 90/100.

Spot on.

Anyone suggest any other nice Albarino's, or any exceptional whites I might not have tried yet?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I love Albarino. Martin Codax being a perticular favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bubbles McGinty

Hi Matt, sounds divine. I must give it a go. I love NZ Savs and have a particular fondness for Lake Chalice, they also do a non-oaked Chardonnay.
    Going to try an locate a good Jurancon for Christmas Day Fois Gras starter. Its a sweet wine but can have a dy edge that lightens everything upa bit, there is a "sec" also. Looked around but its not that well known here so I'm going to have to taste a couple before the 25th! oh dear....

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Hi Matt, sounds divine. I must give it a go. I love NZ Savs and have a particular fondness for Lake Chalice, they also do a non-oaked Chardonnay.
    Going to try an locate a good Jurancon for Christmas Day Fois Gras starter. Its a sweet wine but can have a dy edge that lightens everything upa bit, there is a "sec" also. Looked around but its not that well known here so I'm going to have to taste a couple before the 25th! oh dear....

New Zealand Sauvignon is my favourite too! Although Albarino could be my new best friend soon enough. Good luck with the Jurancon. Haven't tried it. We've got a NZ Pinot lined up for main course Christmas dinner.

Drooling. A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Terras Gauda's O Rosal
    is an Albarino blend and is amazing.
    They do a straight Albarino called Abadia too - also very good.
    If you see these wines do try them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bubbles McGinty

MattKane wrote: »
    New Zealand Sauvignon is my favourite too! Although Albarino could be my new best friend soon enough. Good luck with the Jurancon. Haven't tried it. We've got a NZ Pinot lined up for main course Christmas dinner.

Drooling. A lot.

Haha....I hear you. Did a wine tasting around Napier/ Hawke's Bay in NZ. Pinots just do so well over there!! Well enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Drooling. A lot.

Winesdirect.com do a nice Jurancon (Chateau Joly), and also do their dry wine which is good.

Another white to try if you haven't yet is a good Alsace Riesling, or Gewurtztraminer if you like a full-on flavour, can't understand why there are not more of them available here.

Haha....I hear you. Did a wine tasting around Napier/ Hawke's Bay in NZ. Pinots just do so well over there!! Well enjoy!

I was in NZ in May and the North Island Pinot's were unbelievable. Loved Martinborough, unfortunate not to get up to Hawkes Bay. Def next time!

muckety wrote: »
    Winesdirect.com do a nice Jurancon (Chateau Joly), and also do their dry wine which is good.

Another white to try if you haven't yet is a good Alsace Riesling, or Gewurtztraminer if you like a full-on flavour, can't understand why there are not more of them available here.

Nice find. And it's not too pricey either. I reckon Riesling is the best white. And some of the best do come from Alsace. We have a few Gewurztraminer's on our website. Generally not very complex, so very easy to get into. We are mad for them in our house because of the number of hot & spicy dishes we cook :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Next time you're in Dublin, grab yourself a bottle of Dona Rosa Albarino from Donnybrook Fair. E16.99. Very typical of the style. One of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Tried the Orballo Albarino last night. A Decanter medal winner from Spain.

Lovely alternative to Chardonnay or Sauvignon. Very bright and pale lemon in colour. Forward fruity citrus and stone fruit aromas. Well balanced and very refreshing. Frank at Robert Francis Wine gave this 90/100.

Spot on.

Anyone suggest any other nice Albarino's, or any exceptional whites I might not have tried yet?

I came accross Vino Verde in Portugal last year and loved it, normally I drink NZ Sauvignon's. This blew me away. I haven't found a nice Vino Verde since I came back, but would recommend this type of wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

If you like vino verde you could try a spanish Verdejo, theres a good 'green' sharpness to it without being overly acidic. Can't think of any specific ones offhand but there are quite a lot available - anywhere that stocks reasonable Spanish wines will have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Any relation to the Italian Verdicchio? Had a lovely bottle of that on Sunday.

muckety wrote: »
    If you like vino verde you could try a spanish Verdejo, theres a good 'green' sharpness to it without being overly acidic. Can't think of any specific ones offhand but there are quite a lot available - anywhere that stocks reasonable Spanish wines will have it.

Verdejo is fantastic. We have a Spanish Verdejo Sauvignon blend in our shop. Delish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

noby wrote: »
    Any relation to the Italian Verdicchio? Had a lovely bottle of that on Sunday.

No relation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Villa Maria sauvignon blanc from New Zealand is the nicest wine I've drank this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 robertfrancis

really should try the Basa Rueda if you are interested in NZ Sauvignon Blanc.

Also had some decent white rioja recently ! which isnt always the case.

Advertisement