Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu on Asus eeepc

• 12-12-2008 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I have had an Asus eeepc 4gb now for about six months and I was reasonably happy with it until I came across eeebuntu - a linux distro designed for the eeepc. I installed it using a flash drive in the usb port and it took me a while to get the wireless working using a workaround.

I really like this flavour of ubutnu on my eepc and it is so much better than the pre-installed Xandros. One niggle though: can someone suggest a way to make the boot time quicker? It seems to take a long time for a flash HD. Are there particular services that I can do without given that I do not use it to print?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

well if you don't use print services disable cupsd etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Apache (if you're not running a web server), MySQL (if you're not using it), AppArmour, possibly bluetooth and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

Thanks for the suggestions. I do not have these in the Services function except cups. Is there another means by which to disable them? Although if they are nt in the Services function then they probably were not bundled in eeebuntu anyway, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I was thinking about sticking linux on my msi Wind, it's got Xp on at the mo, it doesn't have a cd rom though, is this possible ?

Yep, put the iso on a USB key and boot from that

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote: »
    I was thinking about sticking linux on my msi Wind, it's got Xp on at the mo, it doesn't have a cd rom though, is this possible ?

Happy to give advice / help.

very good of you :), I actually installed Ubuntu - they have a brilliant installer called wubu or something similar , just a one click install and it dual boots with XP, very impressive stuff however my wireless wasn't working straight off so I just uninstalled it, I guess I should have put some effort into it - but when I discovered Ubuntu doesn't have a device manager I said WTF ? no thanks. I have Ubuntu installed as a virtual machine on my desktop and the wireless works straight off - I think it piggybacks the windows connection because it didn't ask for passwords or anything, I was hoping it would be that simple - I might give it another go though

... however my wireless wasn't working straight off so I just uninstalled it, I guess I should have put some effort into it - but when I discovered Ubuntu doesn't have a device manager I said WTF ? no thanks. ...

There are usually workarounds available on Ubuntu's own fora or elsewhere on the wuwuwu. Like I said, happy to pm about this.

cheers, I'll check out the forums, I'm sure it's an easy fix as you can buy an msi wind with linux preinstalled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

very good of you :), I actually installed Ubuntu - they have a brilliant installer called wubu or something similar , just a one click install and it dual boots with XP, very impressive stuff however my wireless wasn't working straight off so I just uninstalled it, I guess I should have put some effort into it - but when I discovered Ubuntu doesn't have a device manager I said WTF ? no thanks. I have Ubuntu installed as a virtual machine on my desktop and the wireless works straight off - I think it piggybacks the windows connection because it didn't ask for passwords or anything, I was hoping it would be that simple - I might give it another go though
    Use the restricted drivers if available (you'll be prompted to install them if they are). Failing that, you can use ndiswrapper with the Windows driver for your wireless card.

VMs are great for trying it out. No fancy graphics or other hardware acceleration (bit of a performance hit).

• Advertisement
Advertisement