Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas parties without alcohol

• 12-12-2008 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

Heya,

So how is everyone gettin' on at Christmas parties being one of the few sober?

Anyone taking up the free soft drink for designated driver?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I found it grand, but I split home 11/11.30 when everyone started getting pissed as I find drunk people very boring.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I found it grand, but I split home 11/11.30 when everyone started getting pissed as I find drunk people very boring.

That's because you haven't learned how to play with them. You don't expect a reasoned debate about the downturn in Chinese manufacturing with a 5 year old, you talk to them about football and how girls are mean. Same applies to drunks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭cufroige

That's because you haven't learned how to play with them. You don't expect a reasoned debate about the downturn in Chinese manufacturing with a 5 year old, you talk to them about football and how girls are mean. Same applies to drunks.

LMAO

I was at my Christmas 'do' last night.. just 3 of us.. I'm off the sauce 4 weeks today (just got sick of being a sloppy drunk & feeling crap for days)

Had a ball, was out til 2.30am, was able to drive my lovely warm car home, passing by 2 woman leaving a nightclub BAREFOOT (geez...Brrrrrr!!!!) heels in hand & I though to myself "this is the life...much better"

I'd been drinking like a madwoman since the age of 14, always thought I was a great drinker, great craic, party animal until the sauce started to get me down AFTER the fact...
    Never even considered giving it up until I saw a drunken photo of myself 4 weeks ago and saw not a party animal but an ugly drunken monster...

Have gone back walking my lovely dog, lost 10lbs, caught up on all my laundry, claimed back my life which had been reduced to a 3 day week due to hangovers & resulting mood lows..

Am back enjoying music, my home, my life...

little digression but I'm just on top of the world!!! Yeyyy!!

ps...drunk people are much more bearable than I imagined they'd be to me if I was out with them & sober.. Well, drunk friends anyway..I'm lucky to have friends who are good clean funny drunks..they're lovers not haters..

Problem drinkers like me are a nightmare to be sober around, ughhhh.. I'm a better friend & (non) drinking partner now....Praise :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭pmurphy00

i find d xmas party scene hard..nearly 5 months sober now and the xmas thing aint goin 2 good everything revolves around drink especially @ this time of year..i find myself staring at pints or glasses of wine everywhere i go..

even the film club i go to had wine b4 the last movie so i didnt go till just b4 it movie start to avoid awkward conversation..the craving for alcohol is still there..there seems to be a party every night and every1 pissed handing u a drink you'l have one?..am no i wont thanks..I DONT DRINK ANYMORE..que face drop..

lookin 4ward to jan when every1 sick of drink not tryin to push it on every1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭cufroige

Feelin for ya Pmurphy... that sux

Only yesterday I had a few people say to me "Ah you'll have to have a drink for Christmas with us" I just said "I'll see how I feel, am feeling much better without it for now"

I think it scares some people if you're sober around them all of a sudden & they're still drunk, to me its kinda telling that they may not be so comfortable themselves maybe, I dunno.. I over analyse everything anyway :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I'm out loads now, I've found the trick is to just drink water. Lots and lots of free water.
    You end up having spent around a fiver the whole night :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I'm about a year without the booze now, and wondering about what to do/where to go if I wanted to spend new years in town. Do people gather in Christchirch for the whole bell ringing thing? any public fireworks shows? (Any other ideas?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I didn't drink (I hate the word 'teetotal' - it sends shivers down my spine) until I was about 23. I'm 29 now an am honestly glad I started. Sometimes it's nice to drink, but I'm not big into it and have be drunk less then ten times in the last six years.

On a side note, not drinking made me less social than everyone else. I was arrogant and difficult to know. Starting to drink has changed my life for the better!

(That said, I respect non-drinkers - as long as they don't make it into some sort of badge of honour.)

Advertisement