Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Trajet

Options
  • 12-12-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Our family car is a Hyundai Trajet, petrol, 6 yrs old, Ive been told that the timing belt shoudl be replaced urgently, at a cost of circa 300 euros, that if it breaks could cost a lot more to fix. My question is, they recommend getting another water pump installed at the same time at another cost of around 90e. Should I do this also?
    What they say (the 2 garages Ive spoken with) is that its cheaper to get them installed together, that if the water pump for the timing belt is repaired/installed at a later date it coudl cost a lot more.
    any ideas?
    BTW - what a crap car. When we can afford to upgrade our family car, it wont be a Hyundia, pile of crap!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You should absolutely replace the water pump at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Yes, there is no guarantee the old water pump won't crack considering the engine has to be dropped to do most timing belts.

Apparently so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To save time and money have the water pump replaced at the same time. Otherwise you will paying now to have a timing belt replaced and possibly in a few months time paying again to have a new water pump fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,458 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€390 is decent enough for a belt+waterpump job.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

we have a diesel trajet also. and yes wat a piece of sh!te it is!

AKA the hyundai trajedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

many thanks guys EXACTLY the kind of feedback I was looking for, and very quick too! I will get both done together. And martydunf yes, good one, our familiy car is a trajedy :D
    At the time I wanted to get a Ford galaxy, which woudl have cost 2K more at the time but....
    ah well
    least its paid for....
    sigh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If its a petrol its not necessary to change the water pump at the same time.

It is definately necessary on the diesels.And 390 sounds a bit much to me.

Theres a thread somewhere here about a Santa Fe with all the prices on it(Same engine)

Cant link to the thread for some wierd reason but search the forum for "Santa Fe Timing Belt" and you`ll find the thread.

Edit--Here is is
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055292532&highlight=santa+timing+belt

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maybe not necessary, but definitely advisable.....

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ninty9er wrote: »
    Yes, there is no guarantee the old water pump won't crack considering the engine has to be dropped to do most timing belts.

Apparently so anyway.

What are you on about here? :confused:

The engine doesn't have to come out. It's a false economy not to replace the water pump.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What are you on about here? :confused:

The engine doesn't have to come out. It's a false economy not to replace the water pump.
    esel wrote:
    Maybe not necessary, but definitely advisable.....

Actually its not on the Petrol Trajets.The timing belt does not have to come off to do a water pump on the petrols.

On the diesels it does--Thats why it makes economical sense to do it when changing the belt.

On the petrols the water pump can be changed independantly of the timing belt if it gives problems which btw Ive very rarely seen.

Why spend money that you dont have to especially the way things are these days.

Its all explained in the thread Ive linked to up there ^^^.

• Advertisement
Advertisement