Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very basic question on setting up an internet site

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭euph

Mydomain.com will allow you to do this, its a setting on their side.

It's called URL Cloaking or Stealth Forwarding.

If you move (or register) your domain on mydomain.com add the URL Forwarding feature (which is free) and set that up.

I used to do something similar on a service called redirection.net too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jimmynn

Thanks for that.

Just one last question. Does anybody know of a reasonably priced irish company which will do this for a .ie address.

I've been reading into it and there is also a huge difference in registration fees for .ie addresses. The sticky at the top of the page differentiates between those hosted in Ireland and those not hosted in Ireland.

I am not looking for my address to be hosted. Just to point (invisibly) to my current web space. Would it make a difference to me where the resellers servers are located. I'm guessing that maybe the location of the servers affects search engine rankings for particular territories?

Thanks again for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Does anybody know of a reasonably priced irish company which will do this for a .ie address.

If you've read the stickies you'll know that we do not allow recommendations of hosting or domain providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

My apologies! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Why should the institute/university (i.e. the taxpayer) pay for your bandwidth, processing and storage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Make sure the "cloaking" isn't done via a 100% frame or iframe; if it is, chances are that if someone finds a page (assuming that they can) that the URL bar will show the URL of the college, and not yours.

Thanks for anyone who gave me a reasonable reply. And I did read the stickies. They gave some links. I thought it might be ok to ask the question though because I was asking a very specific question as to which ones might provide a specific service. I wasn't asking for a blind recommendation. I guess I'll just have to reinvent the wheel and look into each one individually or else send off a heap of emails to each one individually.
    Cantab. wrote: »
    Why should the institute/university (i.e. the taxpayer) pay for your bandwidth, processing and storage?

Eh.... I don't exactly think there's going to be a whole lot of bandwidth usage. Your hard earned tax Euros are safe for the minute. The college gives me a webpage and storage for a reason --> to learn!! .... This address will only be a redirection to a site that I am playing around with already. It's not something that is probably going to get more than 5 hits a month from people apart from myself. I want to purchase the domain name so that I have it if I ever want to do anything with it. When I have it I might as well get it to point to the actual site. I'm not running a competitor to Amazon or Ebay! I hope that you never used any bandwidth if you were in college or school, be it looking up internet sites for information or checking emails. God knows how you'd cope with the loss of sanctimoniousness :-P . Apologies if this is off topic, but it's no more off topic than the moral guardian above to whom I'm replying.

I could go out and purchase expensive storage and bandwidth that is never going to be used. I thought that most people would have assumed that I am just learning this stuff. You don't go out and buy a Ferrari when you start learning to drive!!

Hi,

It's me back again. I'm still trying to figure out who to register my domain with. From the replies above and the stickies, it seems like people argue over which is better.

Forgive my ignorance but I thought that the register company only really filled in some paperwork or something for you. Are there other important variables. I've already pointed out that I want the "cloaking" mentioned above.

Don't name specific providers if that's going to cause trouble. But any information as to what I should look out for would be a help. Is there a risk that if I go through a certain register that they might register the domain themselves and then sub-let it to me and maybe extort me in future years. My website is not going to be commercial but I still wouldn't like it if that happened. I'd prefer to stay with one of the irish providers I guess or am I being too cautious by doing that.

Thanks

Advertisement