Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow near Henry Street

Options
  • 12-12-2008 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

Here's a strange question...

Between the Church bar, the Jervis Centre and the AXA offices, just off henry street, there is a square with what looks to be an old cemetery. In the square there is a large bronze statue of a cow or bull lying down.

Can anyone tell me anything about it? i.e. what it symbolizes or is there to commemorate? I couldn't see any kind of plaque to explain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TheInvisibleFie

Remember a couple of years ago we had decorated cows all over the city as part of some European cow trail thing - it could be something to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Remember a couple of years ago we had decorated cows all over the city as part of some European cow trail thing - it could be something to do with that.
    I think this is seperate, acually. Most or all of those cows were standing up, I know wagamama used to have one, so did Jervis st shopping centre.
    There's still one of them in IFSC house beside the Customs House

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

if i remember rightly there used to be a cattle market there or something

you what i think i actually made that up:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Graeme1982 wrote: »
    there is a square with what looks to be an old cemetery
    Wolf Tone Memorial Park. ;)

wrote:
    The parish of St. Mary's was large and wealthy and the graveyard became so overcrowded by the mid-nineteenth-century that 'in order to make room for others, bodies were taken up in absolute state of putrefaction, to the great and very dangerous annoyance of the vicinity.' By the 1940s, the large churchyard was being used as a playground, with the tombstones being removed to the further end of the yard. In April 1966, the Church of Ireland sold the graveyard to Dublin Corporation which later developed the site now known as Wolfe Tone Memorial Park. The park was laid out in a traditional formal style retaining the high defensive railings and placing the headstones around the perimeter.

(I'll have a dig around to see if I have a pic of the cow).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Didn't the artist Rashers have a big display of different cows all over the city a few years back?
    Were a few left in place?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The Master wrote: »
    Didn't the artist Rashers have a big display of different cows all over the city a few years back?
    Were a few left in place?
    A few still about but most were auctioned to private buyers. There's one still on public view in Navan. (Not worth the trip imo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its called the city cow by "Jackie McKenna" ,it nothing to do with the other cows.

http://www.thedock.ie/exhibitions.php?type=archived&usg=__A5ylDxVz3PF879gLXGuXgzC7Chw=i

i can't find anything about it

i guess its just a sculpture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ste.phen wrote: »
    There's still one of them in IFSC house beside the Customs House

That's a bull.
    Many financial districts have a bull and a bear. The bear is right around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Interesting.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

In reference to bull & bear markets. Financial speak for rising and falling markets (bulls toss you up, bears 'bear' down on you).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The most famous of which is the Wall St. Bull

WallStBull.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

micmclo wrote: »
    That's a bull.
    Many financial districts have a bull and a bear. The bear is right around the corner
    Never noticed the bear, where is it?

Here's a pic of the lady in question.

WolfeToneParkCow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Graeme1982 wrote: »
    Here's a strange question...

Between the Church bar, the Jervis Centre and the AXA offices, just off henry street, there is a square with what looks to be an old cemetery. In the square there is a large bronze statue of a cow or bull lying down.

Can anyone tell me anything about it? i.e. what it symbolizes or is there to commemorate? I couldn't see any kind of plaque to explain.

This graveyard was the resting place of the judge who condemned Robert Emmett to death. He was known as the 'Hanging Judge'. Can any Boardsie name him :)? I will buy the first to answer correctly a pint *.

*This may or may not be true :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

The Americans have a bull as a sign of their strong economy, we have a cow which like our economy looks like its been fukked big time :D

WolfeToneParkCow.jpg

boneless wrote: »
    This graveyard was the resting place of the judge who condemned Robert Emmett to death. He was known as the 'Hanging Judge'. Can any Boardsie name him :)? I will buy the first to answer correctly a pint *.

*This may or may not be true :P
    Lord Norbury?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

a pint for the winner is a fitting reward considering the churches most famous marriage (alcoholically speaking).

a pint for the winner is a fitting reward considering the churches most famous marriage (alcoholically speaking).
    That would have been uncle Arthur in 1793! :)

OK folks, back to the future! What business occupied those premises prior to it's conversion to a restaurant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Lord Norbury?

I'll get you a pint Wish :D!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lord Norbury?
    I used to teach in a school in a building Norbury lived in (3 Great Denmark Street). We used to very seriously (and frequently) tell the lads the place was haunted.

Due to the way the buildings were constructed, when people went down the stairs of the adjoining hotel, footsteps were heard in the school building. Not noticeable during the day, but on dark creepy evenings we had much amusement watching the little hard men turn to jelly at the noises.

Ho ho. Ho.

OK folks, back to the future! What business occupied those premises prior to it's conversion to a restaurant?
    Well folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

A shop selling wallpaper and paint I think.

joolsveer wrote: »
    A shop selling wallpaper and paint I think.
    Indeed - Ryan's Decorating Centre! :)

*sends pint over to joolsveer*

Advertisement