Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orgasms During Childbirth?

Options
  • 12-12-2008 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

First thing next month (Friday January 2) will be the primetime debut of a film that has been making the “under the radar” rounds of women and film festivals since May. ABC’s 20/20 will air the documentary “Orgasmic Birth”, by Debra Pascali-Bonaro, a childbirth educator and a doula, which asks the question: What would happen if women were taught to enjoy birth rather than endure it?

Some women will see this film as a declaration of emancipation from the medicalization of childbirth. Others will see it as yet one more way to raise expectations and make new mothers feel inadequate if they do not experience the “ideal” birth.

The message of the film is “that women can journey through labor and birth in all different ways. And there are a lot more options out there, to make this a positive and pleasurable experience,” Pascali-Bonaro tells ABC. “I hope women watching and men watching don’t feel that what we’re saying is every woman should have an orgasmic birth.”

But the title certainly catches attention, referring to what Pascali-Bonaro calls “the best kept secret” of child birth – that some women report having an orgasm as the baby exits the birth canal.

LINK

Two thoughts:
    (i) Imagine that the woman has never been able to orgasm with her partner up to and including the conception of the child, then she has one while giving birth. All men should stay away from this film.

(ii) Could the increased use of C-sections by predominantly male OB-GYNs be part of some vast male conspiracy to keep women from this secret?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

So if the father doesn't make his wife cum during conception he console himself that in nine months time she'll feel the earth move? Great....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Brings a whole new meaning to the term "Rub one out"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Expensive orgasm....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

At the time of delivery, my mind was so far from the thoughts of orgasm it might as well have been in another galaxy. I would have to say I was about as likely to orgasm at that point as deliver a baby calf. In fact, I doubted Id ever have sex again, let alone come from it.

I dunno. Maybe its my uneducated and medicalised mindset. But I would also think a whole shedload of pain and gore had a bit to do with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

What forms do I have fill out to apply for one of these births the next time? And does the VHI cover it?! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Gyalist wrote: »

Two thoughts:
    (i) Imagine that the woman has never been able to orgasm with her partner up to and including the conception of the child, then she has one while giving birth. All men should stay away from this film.

(ii) Could the increased use of C-sections by predominantly male OB-GYNs be part of some vast male conspiracy to keep women from this secret?

(i)I may be a guy but somehow, Id still imagine conventional sex without orgasm would be considerably more comfortable.

(ii)Yeah, definitly. I mean all mum would like to think, "Hey kid is making me cum". Seriously, who writes this crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fad wrote: »
    Seriously, who writes this crap.

Deluded hippies?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

stovelid wrote: »
    Deluded hippies?

Most likely, who ever let them have free speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

This is not that unusual and yes the medical profession have played this down for years going back to the Victorian era.

Yes but working with the pleasure centers and flexing the pelvic floor muscles
    it is possible to release endorphin which help during the birthing process.

Giving birth was one of the most intensive physical sensations I have ever endured, and I can see how that is possible.

Orgasms During Childbirth?
    By Lisa Belkin
    childbirthIllustration by Barry Falls

First thing next month (Friday January 2) will be the primetime debut of a film that has been making the “under the radar” rounds of women and film festivals since May. ABC’s 20/20 will air the documentary “Orgasmic Birth”, by Debra Pascali-Bonaro, a childbirth educator and a doula, which asks the question: What would happen if women were taught to enjoy birth rather than endure it?

Some women will see this film as a declaration of emancipation from the medicalization of childbirth. Others will see it as yet one more way to raise expectations and make new mothers feel inadequate if they do not experience the “ideal” birth.

The message of the film is “that women can journey through labor and birth in all different ways. And there are a lot more options out there, to make this a positive and pleasurable experience,” Pascali-Bonaro tells ABC. “I hope women watching and men watching don’t feel that what we’re saying is every woman should have an orgasmic birth.”

But the title certainly catches attention, referring to what Pascali-Bonaro calls “the best kept secret” of child birth – that some women report having an orgasm as the baby exits the birth canal.

Tamra Larter experienced that while Pascali-Bonaro’s cameras were rolling. She and her husband, Simon, opted to have their second child in their suburban New Jersey home, and through most of the hours of labor the couple was kissing and caressing.

“The phyical touch and nurturing was just really comforting to me,” Larter told ABC. Of the orgasmic birth that resulted she said: “It was happening, and I could hardly breathe, and it was like, ‘oh, that feels good.’ That’s all I could say really.”

Christine Northrup, an OB-GYN and author of “Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom” explains in the film that orgasms during labor are the results of chemistry and anatomy: “When the baby’s coming down the birth canal, remember, it’s going through the exact same positions as something going in, the penis going into the vagina, to cause an orgasm. And labor itself is associated with a huge hormonal change in the body, way more prolactin, way more oxytocin, way more beta-endorphins — these are the molecules of ecstasy.”

And on that note I open up the comments for your thoughts …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

LINK

Two thoughts:

sorry but that is a pile of what fills nappies. Its been known for years that childbirth can give pleasure as well as pain, I can assure all dads hope that mum gets all pleasure and nil pain. And, regarding C-Sections, they cost several times more than natural childbirth and the huge increase in their use has come around from mothers choosing.

However, I find it more disturbing that the author uses such old fashioned techniques to sell a nothing book to women - make it about women's emancipation, hint that men are suppressing us, buy this book and show your solidarity with women!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,140 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thanks for creeping me out on so many levels: making me think I gave my mother an orgasm.

scared_by_Gadox.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Overheal wrote: »
    I gave my mother an orgasm.

ohh dear, not something I needed to know on a Saturday Morning...

994733297994800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

sorry but that is a pile of what fills nappies. Its been known for years that childbirth can give pleasure as well as pain, I can assure all dads hope that mum gets all pleasure and nil pain. And, regarding C-Sections, they cost several times more than natural childbirth and the huge increase in their use has come around from mothers choosing.

However, I find it more disturbing that the author uses such old fashioned techniques to sell a nothing book to women - make it about women's emancipation, hint that men are suppressing us, buy this book and show your solidarity with women!!!

Maybe I should have used a few smilies in my post.

Maybe I should have used a few smilies in my post.

I don't think they would have helped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

that is disgusting dirty auld talk..

No it isn't disguisting or dirty and this is not afterhours.
    If you don't have anything sensible to add then do not bother posting.

Women and Obstetrics
    The Loss of Childbirth to Male Physicians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

fantastic for wemon who actually do orgasim during labour .... but for the rest of us it FRICKEN hurts:D

fantastic for wemon who actually do orgasim during labour .... but for the rest of us it FRICKEN hurts:D

As a guy I cannot obviously comprehend the pain but I imagine I would also be scared witless. Is it terrifying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

As a guy I cannot obviously comprehend the pain but I imagine I would also be scared witless. Is it terrifying?
    When you get to the point of being 9 months pregnant, bloated always in pain, medical complications (well me anyway) you would do just about ANYTHING to get it out so, yes its scary but you'll be damned if your gona be pregnant for the rest of your life lol.

I think the fear makes it worse then it actually is but then again you can have some wemon who after 3/4 hours out it pops and other wemon who are in constant excruciating pain for 2/3 days..... thank god for durgs lol.

When you get to the point of being 9 months pregnant, bloated always in pain, medical complications (well me anyway) you would do just about ANYTHING to get it out so, yes its scary but you'll be damned if your gona be pregnant for the rest of your life lol.

I think the fear makes it worse then it actually is but then again you can have some wemon who after 3/4 hours out it pops and other wemon who are in constant excruciating pain for 2/3 days..... thank god for durgs lol.

:D:D:D Thank you, I suppose after 9 months as you describe you are pretty fed up with it and the novelty of resting your coffee on it has worn thin

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

I kept the fear at bay by thinking 2 thoughts....
    1. It's what my body was engineered to do and
    2. It's just 1 hard day...

as it turned out it was two not so terribly hard days and look what I got for it!!!:D:D:D:D:D

I kept the fear at bay by thinking 2 thoughts....
    1. It's what my body was engineered to do and
    2. It's just 1 hard day...

as it turned out it was two not so terribly hard days and look what I got for it!!!:D:D:D:D:D

I think that is all I would cling to, my body is made for this and billions of women before me have done it. Glad I don't have to test my thesis :D

Fear makes it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

As I said, feminist driven nonsense.

This is not feminist driven nonsense at all. Western obstetrics has taken the mistrust of women to a new level. Women are never to be trusted, not even with their own bodies, they shouldnt even trust themselves.

Advertisement