Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good marketing Company - We are a small business with a small budget

• 12-12-2008 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm working for a school tour operator. We are currently expanding our tour packages and looking to attract more groups. Can anyone recommend a good and not too expensive marketing company that could come in and analysis our business and produce a marketing plan/strategy and integrated web page to attract more visitors.
    Regards,
    Penny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kentwo

Hi, we are a small business as well,
    and would like to find similar marketing company, that can help me to put our product on the market,
    but I need to be sure work is done, not paying in advance without any garantee, my business area is boots/shoes accessories
    with hope
    ken

It is big surprise for me there is lack of the reliable marketing companies,
    It can be a niche for skilled experts in marketing area

Kind Regards
    ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Hi Penny, i would avoid agencies, their fees will be really high, and to be honest the service will be terrible as they tend to concentrate on bigger clients.

Look for a good freelance marketer, but to be honest even then you will likely to be dissapointed, as there is a lot of chancers around. And you probaully will be talking about spending €5k just on the consultant if he is anyway decent.

And note i am speaking as someone who worked in an ad agency, and as a freelancer.

I think if its your own business the best person to market it is you, you know the business and your market better than anyone. Pop over to amazon.co.uk and order some marketing books. I am sure you are busy enough as it is, but marketing is so important, i do think you need to have a good understanding of it.

The seth godin books are good, and some of the idiots guides/dummies books can be good. Just be careful as so of those books are very US focused, try to get the uk editions.

Also consider subscribing to: http://www.inc.com

I get it every month and its excellant for giving you ideas.

Let me know if you need anymore pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kentwo

Thanks leftofcentre,
    I've just registered on www.inc.com , I think the website is great
    kentwo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

To both of you as a great start - take the advise of David Ogilvy when he said "Give me the freedom of a tight brief" –

Its true - I have heard many conversations between company and consultant/agency where you know its going to go wrong - the requirement is vague or totally over ambitious.

State what exactly you want (and be realistic given budgets etc) and see if the agency/individual can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Boardstiff

Hi

I'm not quite sure of the etiquette regarding self promotion on boards, but I offer the services you are looking for. Check out my site and let me know if I can be of help. www.nugentbrand.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Boardstiff wrote: »
    Hi

I'm not quite sure of the etiquette regarding self promotion on boards, but I offer the services you are looking for. Check out my site and let me know if I can be of help. www.nugentbrand.com

Are you offering a 'productised' graphics design service? I think the OP requirements are firstly to complete a review of market positioning or a marketing audit if you wish, which will provide valuable feedback/criteria for developing a marketing plan/strategy. This plan should specify how and where they to wish to develop the company and sales (advertising, corporate communications, advertising, website etc etc are all discreet pieces of a coherent larger jigsaw).

I would think it premature to develop 'identities' before the companies have defined market position, target groups and most importantly an implementation strategy which takes them there.

I'm involved in Branding. I would meet with the owner to discuss their vision. This is the core to defining desired positioning within the market place. From there we create the brand, and then the complete strategic marketing plan, which would coordinate and drive the sales and marketing effort. As far as a marketing audit is concerned that would be done to evaluate the effectiveness of the present marketing programs. Graphic design would be a service offered within the marketing programs element of the strategic marketing plan. All sound quite daunting but in reality is quite systematic.

I'm involved in Branding. I would meet with the owner to discuss their vision. This is the core to defining desired positioning within the market place. From there we create the brand, and then the complete strategic marketing plan, which would coordinate and drive the sales and marketing effort. As far as a marketing audit is concerned that would be done to evaluate the effectiveness of the present marketing programs. Graphic design would be a service offered within the marketing programs element of the strategic marketing plan. All sound quite daunting but in reality is quite systematic.

Interesting you did not mention anything about sales, competition, product or indeed customers. Many marketing plans fail for many reasons, a common cause is an inadequate competitive analysis of product offering, assessment of competition and indeed customer preferences, all very fundamental pre-requisites to begining work on any market development or indeed branding. The latter will be largely influenced by scope of opportunity, ie if the offering is a 'me-too' or indeed 'own label' then the branding reqs are defined by the relevant channel and no supplier.

I'd be also be cautious to avoid confusing operational marketing reqs with strategic business objectives. Many cos tend to claim to 'know' their' market, but in reality only the successful profitable one do. The discipline required to getting it right is not quite as simple as you seem to suggest.

I was being concise in my post. The process is not simple, but systematic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rotax

you guys need someone to come in and understand every part of your business and generate creative, innovative and cost effective ways to sell more product/service or create new selling channels. This does not necessarily require re-branding (although a good brand really helps) or even advertising, maybe just some really good ideas.

The only good companys that I could recommend would not be suitable for small business cost wise. Make sure the company you do talk to understands your business and budget!! and don't waste your time with flyers or pens with your name on them!! anyone who advises that..walk away! finally, don't do any creative work until you have your strategy sorted.

feel free to pm me if you get stuck

best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blogprincess

The Michael Smurift School of Business run a programme, where graduates do post graduate courses to develop esearch and marketing strategies for companies and do it at a cheap price but they do charge and they treat you as a real client of a real company - definitely get in touch and hear what they've got to offer! - I think it is called the Diploma in Marketing Practice and it is already qualified graduates who are on the programme - I've heard its a very good option.

Anothe piece of advice :
    Shop around. Go visit a few companies and smaller but good agencies like KD Nine, Bloom, The Hive, aswell as working with consultants who are one man shows and who are capable - I'd recommend Una Herlihy at Project - project@unaherlihy.com - she is ex communications agency experiecne and knows brands and communications really well and she's a super person. Most important bit os to get your brief correct from the start - what do you really need a strategy, who are your customers, hoew can you grow, barriers to growth, your competitors, profile of existing custimers etc - get as smuch clarity into your breif for the project from the very outset!- be realistic and share your issues and your budget.
    GOOD LUCK
    The princess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 caminowebmaster

Hi

Board stiff I am not sure about self promotion here either - but i will risk it. Your site is awfull.

For a site that is targeting ireland it is all going wrong. Hosted by godaddy on a US based host - no title tags and a free website tonight design.

To make an impact in the irish market you need to be hosted here - read some of my blog posts and the read some a bout seo http://www.cubeonlinemarketing.ie

This is help.

Awful is a bit strong. First you must define the goals. I presently tend to use the site as a brochure site, not generate leads. I send client referrals to the site to outline services offered. As far as the contact page is concerned over half my client base is located in the US. That's not to say I couldn't avail of your SEO services for a clients' site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Board stiff I am not sure about self promotion here either - but i will risk it. Your site is awfull.

For a site that is targeting ireland it is all going wrong. Hosted by godaddy on a US based host - no title tags and a free website tonight design.

That's a bit rich, given that your clunky template is a Wordpress freebie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭epictetus2009

You have lots of bargain-easy to do ways to set this up.

If you would like more details specific to your business I can give you the information and do the research/make recommendations/get a website off the ground/train you to maintain it/brand your product/direct you to educational resources not costing the world. This is a good challenge and my own cost is based on time spent researching not % of roi of knowledge i provide which some place seem to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Sorry of if am breaking any rules here but in the past I have used a company called Industrial Marketing Solutions. Kevin is a good guy, lots of experience and prices are reasonable. Ask him to visit and have a chat. He will give you some guideline ideas and pricing and then its up to you if you want to hire him or not.

Despite the posts over 'almost' two months to OP's thread, there has been no response/reaction (publicly anyway) from OP to any post!

...is this just more proof of why Irish SMEs are frequently criticised for being weak at marketing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Una H

Hi Penny,
    BlogPrincess kindly recommended me in response to your post. I am self employed marketing consultant and facilitator and I might be able to help you out. I would be happy to give you a call and talk you through some options.
    Let me know if you'd like to talk.
    Regards,
    Una H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 softwing

Hi
    I run a PR & Marketing company and have particular experience in the Travel & Tourism sector.
    PM me with a mobile number and I'll be happy to call you to discuss your needs further.
    With a simple analysis we can create a plan and calculate your costs running forward. Unless your getting the exposure you need in the current climate, you are just treading water unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Try Paul McCann in CDG - I work inhouse marketing but have used him in the past for web design etc and I see he also offers marketing services. His prices are extremely reasonable and he is very knowledgable and patient and genuinely wants the best for his clients. I think their website is www.cdg.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Finn Media

Hi Penny
    I agree with other reply that agencies perfer big accounts. I have spent 6 years working with large and small companies and i found that very few marketing companies work from a sales focused point of view. I hope you find your solution. i went out on my own recently and find all my main business comes from giving free marketing audits and gettting my business from clients who are happy with my findings. my advice would be to look for a company who offer free one to ones so you can pick the right assistance for you,

regards Denis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

Finn Media wrote: »
    Hi Penny
    I agree with other reply that agencies perfer big accounts. I have spent 6 years working with large and small companies and i found that very few marketing companies work from a sales focused point of view. I hope you find your solution. i went out on my own recently and find all my main business comes from giving free marketing audits and gettting my business from clients who are happy with my findings. my advice would be to look for a company who offer free one to ones so you can pick the right assistance for you,

regards Denis

could you recommend any companies denis off the top of your head???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Finn Media

besides my own, i can. let me know what industry and location you are in.

Ill give you a recommended list

Advertisement