Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you think your SSD is quick ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

good stuff, something to knock down the prices of the ssd's

this is so typical in the computer world though. SSD drives come out, theyre the big thing. most people will have to wait 1 or two more years to be able to feasably afford them

and there will already be a little voice nagging at the back of your mind saying.... theres faster. your not maximum l33t.

ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Niiiiiice! Wonder how long it will take them to get a consumer model out? Hopefully this will indeed bring down the price of SSD's, I wants me one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,648 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ill be patient. give it 3 years and SSDs will be rather affordable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's a 1337 card, to be sure but the price is a little out of mine (and probably most boardies' price range), and with (what I consider to be) boot disk quality SSDs coming down to sensible prices (realta now has a 2.5" 16GB Mtron 3525 up for €99, with all 35XX prices falling routinely - in some cases daily), I think "traditional" ATA-type SSDs are going to be 'the thing' for a good while yet.

Oh well, I'm just going to have to suffer it out with my 100MB/s read/write drive (and soon to be drives if Mtron/Realta keeps up the good work) for another few years :rolleyes:

Overheal wrote: »
    ill be patient. give it 3 years and SSDs will be rather affordable.

and then there will be a new technology which benchmarks 50 times faster than SSDs in the consumer market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

thats a seriously expensive SSD. would be nice to put in your bugatti veyron

just to add to the SSD latest news:
    Toshiba on Thursday introduced what it says is the first 2.5-inch, 512-GB solid-state drive for notebooks. The drives also will come in capacities of 64 GB, 128 GB, and 256 GB, which will be available in 1.8-inch and 2.5-inch enclosures. Samples of the new products will be available in the first quarter of next year, with mass production scheduled for the second quarter. Toshiba did not disclose pricing. The vendor plans to showcase the storage device at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January. The new drive is one of a series of SSDs built with Toshiba’s latest 43-nanometer manufacturing process.

Toshiba’s second-generation SSDs include a multilevel cell controller that achieves read/write speeds of 240 MBps and 200 MBps, respectively. The drives also offer data encryption that complies with the Advanced Encryption Standard. Other specs include a serial ATA-2 interface and a mean time between failures of 1 million hours. Depending on the model, the drives weigh from a half-ounce to about 2 ounces. SSDs are typically lighter, are more durable, consume less power, and deliver higher performance than traditional hard-disk drives. The technology, however, costs much more per gigabyte than HDDs. As a result, SSDs are used in select applications, such as mini-laptops where less weight and more durability in a storage device are important.
    Source: InfoWeek

lets hope this betters the prices down another notch. competition is always good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

aye seen that on engadget a few days ago. Very much want one !

Anti wrote: »
    aye seen that on engadget a few days ago. Very much want one !

why dont you have a spelling mistake I can call you up on anti. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Related: 24 SSDs in RAID...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs

Heh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement