Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick or local address input? Help needed

Options
  • 12-12-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have a gps that allows you to find a local address, without having to go through the entire "where to, Address, Spell Country, Ireland, Spell City" etc.

I had a pocket pc a few years back, running Co-Pilot and as bad as the mapping was, the user interface was perfect for my needs.

As an example, if I was parked in Malahide and needed to look up a local address, I tapped on "Where To" and "Malahide" was first in the list of possible locations, followed by say, Swords, Donabate etc.

I simply needed to tap on "Malahide" and the next screen popped up, looking for the street name and house Number.

Now, if I was in Malahide and needed an address in Stillorgan, I would naturally have to do the Dublin post code search thing.

Hope this makes sense, any info much appreciated.

BTY, I'm currently using a Nuvi 200

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Anyone? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Have you tried Where to? > Near > Where I am now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

sesswhat - What device are you using?
    I don't see that option on a TT 1 V3 using 8.010 or on TT GO720 using 8.300.
    The nearest thing to what Neil Sedaka is seeking, on a TomTom anyway, is Navigate To - Point Of Interest - POI Near You.

I'll have a go with the Garmin 255W tomorrow, when I get a chance.

Plus, I picked up one of those Route 66 Maxi units in Halfords (Letterkenny - 69.99), so I'll try the menu system on it. (Interested to hear if onyone has tried loading a different OS onto a Route66?)

Neil Sedaka - what software version and map number are you using on the 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

sesswhat wrote: »
    Have you tried Where to? > Near > Where I am now ?

Yeah, tried that. Only seems to be useful for local hotels and other POI

mrmac, it's software version: 2.90 - City Navigator NT 2008 and NT v9

I had a quick look at a Navman yesterday, it seems to have a lot of the features I'm looking for. As you type an address, a list of possible roads pops up and allows scrolling down through them, the list seemed to be local places.

I'll have to investigate further, didn't have time to give it a good workout.

Cheers for the replies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

As you type an address, a list of possible roads pops up and allows scrolling down through them, the list seemed to be local places.

This also happens with the TomToms, but only after you've typed in your City/Town.
    It will give you a scroll down list in alphabetical order as soon as you enter the first letter, unlike the Garmin. Plus the TomTom remembers the last locations you searched for, so if the last place you searched for was Malahide, then it'll be the first choice you get when it ask for a City/Town, followed by all the other locations you sought.
    Once you've used it a few times, it actually gets quicker to enter locations, as the scroll down list starts to become personal to your usual locations.

I agree with you on the Garmin, my 250W is not as user friendly!
    My Route 66 also uses Navteq maps, and it's also not as friendly, not sure who makes the OS though?
    Also, I don't know anything about the Sygic OS that's used on the Aldi/Lidl units, but the website looks interesting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement