Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day Swim - Blackrock

Options
  • 12-12-2008 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else taking the plunge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

thinking about it alright was there last year looked like a good way to start the day ....do you know where ya get the forms to do it for charity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

www.copegalway.ie - Get the e-mail address from there (don't want to post it on the forums for spambot reasons) - Just email them your name/address and they'll post out the forms. They have to have paper signed forms as they're hoping for an official record, hence why online registrations won't work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

what drugs do you have too be on too even think about that!!!
    thats fundamental properly mental
    wish you lot luck on that one

In fairness it's great craic. Yes it's a bit mad, and your goolies are guaranteed to be sucked up into your lungs for the day but fcukit, 'tis for charity. I'm not one to throw cash at a charity, instead I prefer the more pro-active approach by physicially doing some dirty work.

I have an online fundraiser setup that accepts Laser/Mastercard/Visa but don't want you guys knowing my true identity! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

JohnCleary wrote: »
    In fairness it's great craic. Yes it's a bit mad, and your goolies are guaranteed to be sucked up into your lungs for the day but fcukit, 'tis for charity. I'm not one to throw cash at a charity, instead I prefer the more pro-active approach by physicially doing some dirty work.

I have an online fundraiser setup that accepts Laser/Mastercard/Visa but don't want you guys knowing my true identity! :pac:

cos its for charity then i take it all back..
    but i will be cooking the christmas feast so thats my excuse even though
    im 5 mins round the corner lol

cos its for charity then i take it all back..
    but i will be cooking the christmas feast so thats my excuse even though
    im 5 mins round the corner lol

If the weather's nice may aswell pop down for a look. I guarantee you'll never see Blackrock so busy, it'll be busier than the hottest day of any summer. Go on and watch our balls be sucks up our lungs! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Saw it advertised - you'd have to be preparing for it -unless wetsuits are permissable- No- way to cold and I would probably have a heart attack!Perhaps another year!

Fair play and best of luck to those that do. ;)

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Saw it advertised - you'd have to be preparing for it -unless wetsuits are permissable- No- way to cold and I would probably have a heart attack!Perhaps another year!

Fair play and best of luck to those that do. ;)

We're not wearing wetsuits. Just shorts and a Chritmas Hat :D I might wear a rash-vest as some UK/Irish powerboating forums might send me some stickers to stick on my body as some of the people who have sponsored me (online) so far aren't in Galway

Anyone willing to sponsor me? Even a few euro? Can pay by Laser/Visa/Mastercard and is run by mycharity.ie (legit website) so no real worry of credit card fraud etc. - Also, I won't be touching any money, it'll be going straight to the charity so no worry of swindling money etc.

I'll PM the URL if anyone's interested - just ask

We're not wearing wetsuits. Just shorts and a Chritmas Hat :D I might wear a rash-vest as some UK/Irish powerboating forums might send me some stickers to stick on my body as some of the people who have sponsored me (online) so far aren't in Galway

Anyone willing to sponsor me? Even a few euro? Can pay by Laser/Visa/Mastercard and is run by mycharity.ie (legit website) so no real worry of credit card fraud etc. - Also, I won't be touching any money, it'll be going straight to the charity so no worry of swindling money etc.

I'll PM the URL if anyone's interested - just ask

So much for the anonymity then
    Brings a whole new meaning to the term "lable whore" :D

Post up the link you might gather a few quid!

• Advertisement

So much for the anonymity then
    Brings a whole new meaning to the term "lable whore" :D

Post up the link might gather a few quid!

Who mentioned anything about anonymity? Some of the forum guys want evidence that I actually took the plunge, hence sticking forum stickers on me and taking pics of me in the water so I can send them - they just want evidence that I actually stuck to my word. I'm just a little worried that i'll be getting weird looks with stickers stuck to me :p

As said, if anyone wants to donate just pm me and i'll give you the link, I don't want it on the forum - BTW thanks to anyone in advance who does want to donate :)

:confused:

YOu may be as well off to tap people for a few quid on the morning as well -good idea the website though - unfortunately any credit or agreements I have with the bank are exausted atm! :(

But not for long - and will bear this good cause in mind :)

:confused:

YOu may be as well off to tap people for a few quid on the morning as well -good idea the website though - unfortunately any credit or agreements I have with the bank are exausted atm! :(

But not for long - and will bear this good cause in mind :)

There'll be people going around with buckets on the morning as far as I know. I don't really like Christmas tbh, and if possible want to spend some of the day up at the Fairgreen Hostel with the homeless (Or similar place) - Have sent e-mails asking about this just waiting for them to get back to me.

I realise people that this time of the year are skint enough as it is without giving money away hence why I didn't post the link directly. TBH i'm doing the swim for the craic/tradition and not soely to raise money as such, hence not screaming out 'give me money' - just a subtle hint ;)

There'll be people going around with buckets on the morning as far as I know. I don't really like Christmas tbh, and if possible want to spend some of the day up at the Fairgreen Hostel with the homeless (Or similar place) - Have sent e-mails asking about this just waiting for them to get back to me.

I realise people that this time of the year are skint enough as it is without giving money away hence why I didn't post the link directly. TBH i'm doing the swim for the craic/tradition and not soely to raise money as such, hence not screaming out 'give me money' - just a subtle hint ;)

Not a fan of Xmas either.. Nice to see your bringing a positive spin to it. Good for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Fair fcuks. Brass monkeys ahoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosedale6

Think ill give it a miss as it will be way to cold for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'd love to but I'll be nowhere near Galway on xmas day. Best of luck to anyone taking the icy plunge!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I suppose that John C will be the geezer on the Jetski with the dayglo Stewards Jacket eh :D !!!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I suppose that John C will be the geezer on the Jetski with the dayglo Stewards Jacket eh :D !!!

LOL nah, I haven't owned a JetSki in over 2 years now, i've moved on :) I'll actually be IN the water on XMas day as opposed to on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

What time is the swim, is it all day?
    I might jump in and bring my coin jar for the buckets..if I haven't raided it for the dinner:p

I might jump in dressed as a pirate..that will hide all the goosepimples!

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    What time is the swim, is it all day?
    I might jump in and bring my coin jar for the buckets..if I haven't raided it for the dinner:p

I might jump in dressed as a pirate..that will hide all the goosepimples!

Any time from 10am - 1pm - The more the merrier! I'm gonna be covered in stickers from sponsors :p A walking advertisment! So even if you DID dress up, you wouldn't be the worst lookin person there :)

Have raised €365 within 30 hours of setting up the online sponsorship form - Guess i'm targeting the right audience! :eek: - If I raise the €500 target i'll stay in the water til I turn blue :D

Nice one, at €435 now, so hopefully gonna get my €500 target - brilliant stuff

So who else is gonna come down for a look/swim tomorrow? I'll be drinkin a bottle of buckie after the swim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Left a donation JC

Think I got the right fella !

Might drop out tomorrow :pac:

Seven Worlds will Collide

Left a donation JC

Think I got the right fella !

Might drop out tomorrow :pac:

PM sent!

WOOHOO! I've *exceeded* my target of €500 and currently at €555 - Excellent. Thanks to CrowdedHouse for making a boards.ie donation ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

axiom32 wrote: »
    thinking about it alright was there last year looked like a good way to start the day ....do you know where ya get the forms to do it for charity

Did you lose your punctuation amongst the seaweed by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Sponge Bob wrote: »

As long as he's not the prick who killed Kirsty McCall in Mexico a few years ago.

The time of year is apt.."And the boys of the NYPD choir were singing Galway Bay, and the bells were ringin out, for Christmas Day... na na na ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

had all the best intentions to make it there for 10..seeing I just got in from a low key *ahem* Christmas eve bash at a nice hostillery in town, it looks unlikely as it is 5 now.
    I will try, but if not, best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement

Just back. It was f00king FREEZING! Tide was out too so we had to run in from the beach beside the small slipway. Savage craic though, the place was PACKED

One thing that p1ssed me off, the amount of dog sh1te all over the place was disgusting - they should ban dogs from being down there, ESPECIALLY on xmas day when it's busier than any summers day down there

Advertisement