Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell whats wrong with this picture?

Options
  • 12-12-2008 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

I've set up the following:

wireless.jpg

What I'd like to do is share the 3 broadband internet connection on the laptop with the PC, but its going wonky somewhere in that neither computer can see the other.

Am I wrong in having the laptop connected to the wireless router through the WAN port? Should it be in one of the numbered ports?

Or is what I am doing against all the known laws of man and should I go back to admitting I really know nothing?

I know that you'd normally have a DSL line running into the WAN port if I had regular broadband but all I have is 3's mobile broadband.

Any help appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You want the laptop and pc on the same network, so the laptop should be going into one of the numbered ports. Laptop and pc should be able to ping each other at this point, if the wireless network is setup properly.

You just want the AP to be acting as a bridge between wireless and wired. Then just enable the NAT on the laptop and way you go

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

As Verb says, both machines should be on the same network, so use one of the numbered ports.

Internet Connection Sharing is what you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Ok, thanks for help so far - I connected laptop to port 1 on the router and can now see each machine from the other and can move files between them etc.

I've turned on Internet Connection Sharing on the 3 connection on the laptop but I can't connect to the internet from the PC yet - I'm still missing something but no idea what, only end up getting lost amid loads of properties boxes.

Not sure what AP refers to in previous post, and also not sure how to turn on NAT...

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Have you got two network cards in the laptop?

I've never come across ICS using a USB modem but I would expect that the host computer (laptop) needs one network adapter (card) to connect to the Internet via the USB modem and one adapter to connect to the rest of the local network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

You can buy a Router that supports most USB 3g modems as its WAN connection. This would solve your problem nicely.

A quick google shows an example - http://www.nucleusnetworks.co.uk/3g-router/3g-router.htm

There are compatibility lists attached there also (The billion routers appear to support the Huawei usb modems).

This would have the advantage of supporting any other devices you add to your network and remove most of the complexity from what you are trying to do. (At the expense of the cost of buying one of course :) ).

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, don't know yet if I'm willing to spend for one of those routers but will keep it in mind.

I had tried something else previously where I just connected the pc to the laptop with a network cable i.e. directly from the laptop's network port to the pc's network port and it worked fine, I was able to see the internet on the pc.

Will keep at it, gotta be something simple...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 astaro81

redtom wrote: »
    Thanks for that, don't know yet if I'm willing to spend for one of those routers but will keep it in mind.

I had tried something else previously where I just connected the pc to the laptop with a network cable i.e. directly from the laptop's network port to the pc's network port and it worked fine, I was able to see the internet on the pc.

Will keep at it, gotta be something simple...
    @Redtom

Did you get it sorted? I know I'm a noob here, but i think i should be able to help if you didn't get it sorted.

How are you assigning IP addresses on your network. Most Wireless routers will assign IP addresses for you using DHCP, which will interfere with your Internet Connection Sharing.

@ astaro81:

Sorry, didn't get anywhere with it - still thinking it should be possible, but also thinking there may be a gap in my knowledge of networks.

As far as I know, I've got everything set to "Obtain IP automatically".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 astaro81

redtom wrote: »
    @ astaro81:

Sorry, didn't get anywhere with it - still thinking it should be possible, but also thinking there may be a gap in my knowledge of networks.

As far as I know, I've got everything set to "Obtain IP automatically".

That could be the cause of your problem.

Windows Internet Connection sharing generally does the following:

Sets your host address to 192.168.0.1
    Installs a DHCP server on your host machine
    assigns client machines adresses on the 192.168.0.x subnet with the default gateway pointing to 192.168.0.1

Wireless routers also have a DHCP server running, but generally the configuration is to assign addresses on their own subnet pointing the default gateway to the router's address.

The quickest way to check this is to do the following:
    Host pc
    - start --> Run --> cmd -->ok
    - Type ipconfig --> hit return
    - Note IP address of network card (generally called "Local Area Connection")

Client PC
    - start --> Run --> cmd -->ok
    - Type ipconfig --> hit return
    - Note IP address of Wireless connection. (most home networks should use a class C addressing system, so the first three octets of the address will have to match the hosts... e.g. xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy Where X should match the host and Y should be unique
    - Note default gateway address, this should be the address of the host PC if you have Internet connection sharing enabled properly.

Hope this Helps :)

Advertisement