Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb mytraffic

Options
  • 12-12-2008 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm having the same problem with digiwebs traffic counter. I have 50gb limit and they keep saying i'm going over it and slow my connection down. I keep ringing them as some times it reads about 8-9gb in one hour.... impossible. I don't download too much, maybe 700-2gb per week... Crazy or what???? Anyone have a similar problem??? I have a fully secured wep modem and i know no-ones piggybacking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Yeesh, I've split this post off from an old thread in to a thread of its own.

larryman, first of all what sort of connection do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thier systems are all to pot agaibn, I've got 4 e-mail warnings in the last 48 hours, when I am in fact gaining megabytes, not loosing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 larryman2007

i think it's metro express 10-12mb speed with 50gb download cap. to add insult to injury, they hadn't even the decency to return my phone calls. my connection/bandwidth has been suspended and running at below 200kbs, and according to their """""Traffic meter""""" i downloaded nearly 3gbs of information yesterday. At less than 200kbps that would be some task. Cancellation is the only choice left. What do you have to do to get a decent honest service in this country?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

200 kilobits is 25 kilobytes per second. That's 1,500 kilobytes per minute (about 1.5 MB). After an hour that's about 90MB. 24 hours and it's over 2GB.

If you have any bit more than 200kbs (it might be 256kbs or something), or the time period in question is a bit more than 24 hours, it should be easy to use up 3GB if you have e.g. torrents running or something using up the full bandwidth 24/7. You may also have malware on your PC if you genuinely aren't intentionally running programs that use up the reduced bandwidth (web and email will not use up 200kbs, it should be quite decent loading time for them).

• Advertisement

Secure your wireless around the house with WPA2 encryption using a long string (30+) of random characters. Wep is trivial to break into and it's quite possible you have someone piggybacking on your connection. You also need to check every machine on your network for viruses and malware that could be sending out a mountain of spam etc.

The data gathering for mytraffic is pretty accurate.

I got so paranoid about our digiweb connection, (its metro value, provided by the landlord for student accommodation) that I started plugging out the router at night and whenever I'm not using it. The damn "traffic monitor" still reads up to 300mb downloading when the f*cking thing is off!!

Report it to support, if there's a problem it will be fixed.

I have reported to support. This is my 3rd time in 6 months. They more or less told me that i have to wait until they decide to contact me. I pay €60 per month and this is the **** i have to put up with. There is no virus, no malware or anyone piggybacking. The engineer i was talking with last week told me to download a traffic counter. In the week i have had the counter it registers 2.54gb for the past 7 days, digiwebs counter says 18.82gb. I haven't any programs running, actually the laptop and router have been switched off. They know it's not working as the same problem arose when i was on holidays in august for 2 weeks. Everything was switched and powered off but i had gone over my limit in those 2 weeks. I told them they could see my tickets and they then admitted a mistake and reset my usage. Gangsters of the highest order.... I will not back down and pursue this to the highest level that i can. Come back eircom... all is forgiven!!!! Gerry Ryan show next stop...lol...

I am using wpa2 security...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

If your having issues even when the router is turned off then you need to ring digiweb and threaten to leave the service without paying a cancellation fee and get yourself Ice broadband with unlimited download for the same price.

Ok, How do you know no one is piggy backing your connection? : ) I managed to hack my own Wifi connection there was no way of knowing. Until you look at the amount of traffic you have done. Then its too late. Get yourself secured. I am pretty safe. I live in a housing estate in Portlaoise where most people only just found out about fax machines last week. Its amazing how many houses on this estate have no security whatsoever. If you live in a dence part of Dublin there will be loads of leeching going on.

Traffic Counters are only good if you have just one device connecting to the internet. I can't count my PS3 or iPhone for instance. And it won't count the 20kb - 148kb the idle connection does each hour (router itself communicating to the hub).

Do the minimum amount of downloading for a few days and see what your meters say. If you find that you can see 2gig or something 'THAT YOU KNOW YOU DID'NT DO' (A): you could be looking at someone elses meter. It can do that sometimes. I had to keep refreshing the page to get my graphs a while ago, or (B): you could be victim to that bloke next door who doesnt look like he knows anything about hacking the next door neighbours WiFi.

In your wireless router change your password (wep key) to something else on a regular basis. And a handy little tip, if you have a wireless router you can allow only certain MAC addresses to connect. I have my PS3, iPhone and PC allowed in my netgear MAC addresses. They look something like this. 00:0D:1F:7A:1E (in the iPhone its called the WiFi address, dont ask me why). This will make things for potential hackers a bit more difficult because they would have to wait for particular devices to connect to your router and copy the MAC addresses to enable them to use your connection, and the average amateur hacker wont know how to look for MAC address instances anyway. I tried to connect my freinds laptop to my WiFi even with the WEP key and it wouldnt connect until I allowed his MAC address to connect.

Sorry for the long winded babble.

Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

DHFrame wrote: »
    If your having issues even when the router is turned off then you need to ring digiweb and threaten to leave the service without paying a cancellation fee and get yourself Ice broadband with unlimited download for the same price.
    Dan

Why would inflict the horror of Ice on themselves. Just look at the sticky thread.

Cheers for all the replies.

I have a mate who is a computer genius and ran programs which can detect piggybackers or leechers. I have reset wpa2 with long strings several times and no avail. e.g. here is my traffic usage over the past 2 weeks...
    29/11 - 2.4gb
    30/11 - 8.97gb
    1/12 - 4.34gb
    2/12 - 4.44gb
    3/12 - 3.07gb
    4/12 to 6/12 - Nothing
    7/12 - 6.63gb
    8/12 - 1.09gb
    9/12 - 2.51gb
    10/12 - 4.31gb
    11/12 - 1.28gb
    12/12 - 2.99gb

The most i have ever downloaded in one day was one movie, usually axxo approx 700mb. I remove and close the torrent download and exit utorrent immediatly after download is complete, i don't even seed just to be on the safe side(not good etiquette i know but with these problems what can i do). So their counter is flawed. I also live in an estate where all my close neighbours are small kids, so the chances of a leecher are minimal. And as i said while on holidays for 2 weeks with all equipment powered off my traffic counter read the same as above while away.
    Now unless someone broke into my gaff without me knowing just to turn on my modem and router just so they could piggyback my connection when if you look there is a lot of unsecured connections in range.... bit far fetched don't you think...lol...
    I'm just going to cancel my direct debit and try BT or some one who will provide a decent service.
    It's my belief that digiweb are trying to force customers into paying extra €18 for another 10GB extra.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/larry/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/larry/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah mines borked too after checking it.

Gone from using 200MB a day last week with the odd peak for bigger downloads to a gig per day and two gigs a few days each week. There is no way in hell I'm using this much bandwidth or anyone in the house is.

I've been hanging out with the other guy in the house all day yesterday and neither of us downloaded anything and the girl in the house went home for the weekend yet we used 1.5 gigs yesterday.

Another day and another 1.2 gigs and I was at my companies Xmas party and the other guy in the house was working until 6 in the evening. Again the girl was at home and she goes home Thur because she is in college.

Is this a joke Digiweb? First they start charging extra with no real increase in speeds since its eaten by contention after everyone here said just increase our caps and now they are pulling this stunt? I'd like to believe it is an error in the system but the least you could do is say this and give a timeframe for fixing it if that is the case.

Oh they are extracting the urine allright, but what can you do only go through the process of cancelling and waiting for another company to install. I think they rely on this. Sure as i said in a previous post that last download of 2.99gb on the 12th was while they had me switched off. It won't even play a video from youtube let alone download 3gb of info!!!!!

If anyone here wants, they can pm me their WIR account number and I'll take a look at it for you. If not, that's fine too :)

Moriarty wrote: »
    If anyone here wants, they can pm me their WIR account number and I'll take a look at it for you. If not, that's fine too :)

Which number is this or how do i find it???

Your account number. It's on each bill that's issued.

Larryman2007, I've checked this out and the stats showing on your mytraffic are correct. Someone is definitely using your connection to download. If it's not you, you need to secure your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BadCRC

How does digiweb authenticate you on the network? Is it using your modems MAC address or do you have login credentials that may be in use by another customer?

Probably not it, just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It uses your unique connection. If it asks for a Logon you are not on a Digiweb connection or the linkage between Traffic Database and connection databas is broken temp.

Moriarty wrote: »
    Larryman2007, I've checked this out and the stats showing on your mytraffic are correct. Someone is definitely using your connection to download. If it's not you, you need to secure your network.

Ya they said the same, but i just had the guy in from chorus/ntl who are giving me 20mb download 1.5mb upload and no cap for only €46 per month. A mate has it and says it's awesome.He also checked my system and said their is a fault in the system, digiwebs system. For the craic and to prove i'm right, i tried to download a 2gb file on sat and it's now at 48% being left on solidly all night and day(5 days). As you know my bandwith is restricted. Now they claim that on friday (also restricted) that i downloaded 2.99gb in one day....ha ha ha.. ****ing muppets. I have spoken with the regulator and they told me that i have an excellent case as i have all the proof from my netmeter etc... digiweb can go **** themselves and i intend to let it be known..... I had a similiar problem with board gais last year when i got a bill for 700euros for two months and they tried to tell me that i used it... got on to the regulator and had my money refunded and a written apology, i was on gerry ryan and all to plead my case. The meter was faulty outside!!!! never let these ****s try to steal from you!!!!

LoL..

There's no mistake on the traffic management system, what you see is what you've used. There's been large periods of time where you haven't used the connection over the past few days. But hey, suit yourself, all I can say is that you're lying to the wrong person here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you know a 2G download can use 0.4G upload?
    Traffic is up + down and ALL traffic (Web, email and others)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

This time last year my dad got an email from Digiweb telling him he needed to increase his quota or the bandwith would be reduced. So he did, out bill went from €20 a month to €40 a month, just today he got an email telling him the same, now the my traffic tracker is nowhere near our limit and I use the bitmeter also and it is even less then Digiwebs, when confronted with this they tell me 'external software cannot be trusted due to integrity issues' and every time I call them I get patch through to a 'supervisor' who is never any help. They are dodgy and we are seriosuly considering moving companies

• Registered Users Posts: 49 pendude

i hope you know this link!
    http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie/
    will see how much you download/upload!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

See we all know this link, the point is we are using it and other traffic checkers and they are giving very different results. When Digiweb told me I was exceeding my quota I checked Digiwebs records and I was well below it, and my own software was even further below.

Cpt. Tremedous, if you PM me your wir account number I'll take a look to see if there's anything strange going on with your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Well my firewall's stats match the traffic page (give or take a MB or 2), for what it's worth.

Signed,
    Not Digiweb's greatest fan

• Advertisement
Advertisement