Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool to find electrial cables in walls

• 12-12-2008 6:57pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

What do people use to find electrical cables in concrete walls? How reliable are they.
    I've done a search but found nothing. What are they called.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

What do people use to find electrical cables in concrete walls?
    In theory cables should only be run ertically. In practice, things can be different!

Look for obvious signs, where electrical points are located on both sides of a wal. Look in the attic, under the floor and think where would you run a cable.

How reliable are they
    Not very! I would not trust them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

fishdog wrote: »
    Not very! I would not trust them!
    I agree, I've used them with limited success.

Most wiring is run vertically from a socket or light fitting to the ceiling or floor but there are cowboys and diy'ers that disregard this rule.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

if its a metal box you could try a metal detector .ive had no luck with the diy things .the tone generator /oscillator thing is great for bunches of wires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

In my experience, they are worse than useless. I recently drilled into my house alarm wiring while putting up a curtain rail. In my defence, I had used a borrowed wire detector that found nothing where I was drilling and the wiring was 4 inches to the left of where it should have been if it had been run vertically up from where the wiring entered the plasterwork. And so I drilled into the wiring, shorted the alarm and cursed liked a trooper.

I'm afraid that its trial and error if drilling into a wall anywhere near suspected wiring. The best you can do is to very slowly drill into the wall and when you cut through the surface plasterwork, try to see if there is a wire underneath before you drill further into the blockwork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement