Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new motherboard and ram query

Options
  • 12-12-2008 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

hi
    i just got the intel DX58SO board and thinking it was goin to be alright
    i bought 3x 1 gb sticks of crucial BALLISTIX DDR3 ram 1600 mhz
    now by opening the box a sheet mentions that the i7 processors will only support ddr3 ram with a voltage of 1.6 or below so does that make my ram useless?
    also can anyone recommend me a place were to get wires for the motherboard connections since to my surprise beside a few sata cables there are none in the box , ( in my old asus i had pleanty!)
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

No, it will work fine. Although DDR3 ram isn't really worth its price at the moment.

I think you misunderstood what you read, i7 processors need dd3 ram to work. Not the other way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

are you sure?
    cos i was just checking now and it says for the motherboard DDR3 SDRAM Frequencies: PC3-6400, PC3-8500 and PC3-10600

while the ballistix that i bought are CL8 PC3-12800 RAM

Support for DDR3 1600 MHzς, DDR3 1333 MHzς, DDR3 1066 MHz

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DX58SO/DX58SO-overview.htm

so what does the 12800 bit mean at the end of the ram?
    you are right in sayin the i 7 need ddr3 ram, but they need ram of 1.6 volts i believe after reading that, while the ram is 1.8

pc-12800 is the model, not the speed.
    1600mhz is the speed of PC12800 ram.

• Advertisement

still looks like the mobo doesnt like ram above 1.6 volts according to the intel site

''Unbuffered, non-registered single or double-sided DIMMs with a voltage rating of less than 1.6 V.''

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dx58so/sb/CS-029865.htm

Advertisement