Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steams pricing to go regional

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cezaris LT

$ = €, is just a bug, it will be fixed in the next update. :D
    STEAM JUST FAILD BIG TIME

• Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah well, I blame EA. Its their fault - they came onto steam right around the same 2 days as this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I have turned around on this, I only got a proper look at the pricing there. The only way ill buy steam games now is for the cheaper older games that are difficult to get and possibly game bundles

I notice even over here that Prince of Persia is $39.99 in Gamestop yet $49.99 on Steam.

I'm thinking it has more to do with the Christmas Chaos than anything else. Retailers across the country are in a full panic trying to meet their sales quotas before Jan 1. Overall sales are down 5% this year over last. sales are going on this weekend in a lot of stores for as much as 70% off. Used PS2 slim's at Gamestop have gotten slashed down to $50. Its a good time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Join this steam group to show your opposition to 1€ = 1$ pricing:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/1e1us?action=join

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote: »
    Join this steam group to show your opposition to 1€ = 1$ pricing:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/1e1us?action=join
    I'm sorry I couldnt hear you over the sound of my own debit card - big after christmas sale on steam: I just got me the Sands of time trilogy for 22 bucks :D

j/k I joined, I joined.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

lets all join together and rejoice temporarily

http://store.steampowered.com/holidaysale/

If anyone wants to buy in Dollars, I can go dig up my paypal account. The Prince of Persia pack is too good not to buy; same with the ID Software pack. serious savings on steam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Overheal wrote: »
    If anyone wants to buy in Dollars, I can go dig up my paypal account. The Prince of Persia pack is too good not to buy; same with the ID Software pack. serious savings on steam.

A saving of over €150 for the ID pack at the moment . . . tasty . . .

well hey, if you can get the money into my payapal before the end of the sale, its yours. just pm me your email adress and ill send you an invoice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

How much is the Sands of Time Trilogy on steam?

The SoT trilogy is $22.50 while if you get the PoP Package (New Prince of Persia and the SoT trilogy) that is currently $48.74 - a hell of a savings over Euro.

in hindsight i feel really dumb getting the trilogy and not the package, but i'll probably be happy to wait for the price of the new one to dwindle down to the $20-30 mark in about 6 months.

edit: Bioshock for $4.99 - is it worth it?

Yes Bioshock is certainly worth $5.00. I payed €49.99 when it was first released and I had few complaints.

On the POP package, can you gift that to European players?
    The pack is not available over here but the new POP is.

I would be amazed if steam was so draconian that it would not let me gift to a steam id just because it signs in to a european ip.

Now when you say worth $5 - it was that bad, or it was good

Its a good game. Yes System Shock 2 did what Bioshock did and did it years ago but Bioshock is still a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Can somebody remind me how to view the price in Dollars so I can figure out how much I'm being screwed out of? (and hence if the difference is worth it)

I reckon €5 is a pretty damn good price for Darwinnia but I'd still like to know the difference. I'm looking at the Dawn of War collection for €15 and UT3 for €10 as potentially worth it too.

DoW Platinum should be $14.99 (sale price); DoW Everything pack (DoW + All 3 Expansions) $29.99; Darwinia $4.99

You will have to view the steam store through a US proxy to see the dollar prices as far as I know. You will be charged euro if you have european bank details however. This can possibly be circumvented through paypal - but unlikely, as they recently opened up a European branch in the last year.

To setup a proxy search proxy tutorial on youtube.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

rainbow 6 vegas/ghost recon advanced warfighter, 7.49 each. bejeweled, 99 cent.

DoW Platinum should be $14.99 (sale price); DoW Everything pack (DoW + All 3 Expansions) $29.99; Darwinia $4.99

You will have to view the steam store through a US proxy to see the dollar prices as far as I know. You will be charged euro if you have european bank details however. This can possibly be circumvented through paypal - but unlikely, as they recently opened up a European branch in the last year.

To setup a proxy search proxy tutorial on youtube.

Cheers for that. DoW Everything still shows as 15 euro for me (sale price) so even before the VAT that would be added to the Dollar price($30 -> €21), that's 6 euro cheaper for us! That seems to have worked out strangly in our favour. And the price difference on Darwinnia is pretty much negligible. Thanks again.

Value Added Tax != Sales Tax. And Valve only adds sales tax if you live in Washington State.

Strange DoW being cheaper. American Publisher; Canadian Developer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Valve will have an official comment on all this price changing shenanigans "eventually". I expect after the holidays . . .

The official word so far is they are well aware or community outrage and are working with their clientelle (publishers) to remedy the situation

Value Added Tax != Sales Tax. And Valve only adds sales tax if you live in Washington State.

Strange DoW being cheaper. American Publisher; Canadian Developer.

Sorry well whatever tax they used to slap on when I was paying in Dollars. It was about 20% extra.

*shrug*
    Thank you for your recent purchase on Steam.

If you’re new to Steam, install the free Steam application now:

http://www.steampowered.com/getsteam

To play your new games, just launch the Steam application on your PC and log in using your Steam account name: overheal. Your games will be available in Steam on the “My Games” tab.

Your credit card has been charged as detailed below. This email message will serve as your receipt.
    Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
    7.49 USD
    Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
    7.49 USD
    Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
    7.49 USD
    Subtotal
    22.47 USD
    Tax
    0.00 USD
    Shipping
    0.00 USD

Total
    22.47 USD
    Credit card type
    Visa
    Card number
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Confirmation Number
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Date Confirmed
    Fri Dec 26 14:32:41 2008
    Perhaps the tax was added because you were purchasing from the Eurozone

*shrug*

Perhaps the tax was added because you were purchasing from the Eurozone

Well, yeah I assumed that's why. :confused:

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Funny how as soon as they change the pricing, Ubisoft games become available. Guess we know now why they weren't available previously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I used to like steam and would generally buy all games via that platformn as it saves me having boxes lying around the room or fear of losing the game key. They've shot themselves in the foot........the head....and wherever else with this absolutely retarded move. How did they actually think that this was going to appeal to everyone? :rolleyes: Great job on ruining what was a perfect platform for purchasing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

for all my bitching about steam i just bought vegas and portal for 11 quid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Maximilian wrote: »
    Funny how as soon as they change the pricing, Ubisoft games become available. Guess we know now why they weren't available previously...

Same with EA.
    dreamers75 wrote:
    for all my bitching about steam i just bought vegas and portal for 11 quid

Yeah, with the sale on. All the sale prices are what I'd buy most of these games for, except the extreme 75% off ones, some of them are pretty damn cheap. I got X3:TC for 26 euro (20 from play and 39 from steam before the sale) although i had to buy it in a bundle with X3:R which I already had, it was cheaper than the game on it's own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads what do you thing about those bundle packs? like all valve games etc? its like 67eu, and you get everything. When i payed 40eu just for L4d in gamestop :(.

But things is, i still enjoy having a libary of games on mine shelf, it just looks nice :D.

Maybe someday i will new video game nerd and talk how hellgate: london sucked now :D. And i will have acutal disc of it :D.

I was thinking of getting some steamgames, but i doubt that i will like having a virtual collection :(.

Maybe it sounds stupid, but i do love to have a fizical item :), but on the ather hand this steam things sorts out DRM problem perfectly.

Advertisement