Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car NCT failure now a pass

Options
  • 12-12-2008 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

It failed its Nct with 9.9%+ emissions and just by adding 2 litres of paraffin to half a tank of diesel the emission were cut to 0.71%!

Your thought?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Scottie99 wrote: »

Your thought?

Run on parafin all the time?

Seems it's better for the environment.

paraffin is just kerosene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

what is the stuff you add for petrol engines ?
    and where can you get it ?
    there was a thread on here about it before but i cant find it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

green123 wrote: »
    what is the stuff you add for petrol engines ?
    and where can you get it ?
    there was a thread on here about it before but i cant find it

Dipetaine

Just checkout their website it gives you lists of Irish stockist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

You should have your injection pump retimed / injectors retipped / engine rebuilt if your emissions are outside the accepted limits. Otherwise you're just doing harm to the environment and anyone that happens to be behind you. Incidentially you shouldnt run on parrafin long term as it is lacks sufficient lubricity to protect your injection pump from an early death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

It failed its Nct with 9.9%+ emissions and just by adding 2 litres of paraffin to half a tank of diesel the emission were cut to 0.71%!

Your thought?
    Don't try to sell the car on boards when you're done with it.

air wrote: »
    You should have your injection pump retimed / injectors retipped / engine rebuilt if your emissions are outside the accepted limits. Otherwise you're just doing harm to the environment and anyone that happens to be behind you. Incidentially you shouldnt run on parrafin long term as it is lacks sufficient lubricity to protect your injection pump from an early death.

Long term........I just put two litres in to help clean out the system:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

yes you can always cut down the pump, turn it up afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dipetaine

Dipetane.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

air wrote: »

Or just use the kerosene for the NCT and keep the €500 for rebuilding the pump/injectors in you're pocket...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Lads,

The paraffin burns at a hotter temperature than diesel. So, the temperature in the cylinders is hotter, burning off the carbon and crud off the exhaust valves and injectors.

It's the poor man's treatment, and works fine on older diesels. Modern diesels I'm not so sure about due to the finer tolerances in diesel pumps and the fact that paraffin doesn't lubricate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Dipetaine

Does this do any harm to the engine in the long term ?

Barr wrote: »
    Does this do any harm to the engine in the long term ?
    They say no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

What exactly was the car originally failing the NCT for, with regard to the emissions test??? At 7.X%, you are still well over the limits I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Sorry, just read the car is a diesel... Thought it was petrol...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    What exactly was the car originally failing the NCT for, with regard to the emissions test??? At 7.X%, you are still well over the limits I think...

0.71% I think over 3.0% is a fail

Advertisement