Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car van tax

Options
  • 12-12-2008 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

My brother has a '96 Golf van that's taxed commercially. He's using it privately and wants to tax it as such. It's only worth a few hundred quid.

If he switches it over to private tax, will it be liable for VRT? If so, am I right in thinking that he might be be caught out by a minimum charge (there's no option for a golf car van)??

Comments

cantdecide wrote: »
    My brother has a '96 Golf van that's taxed commercially. He's using it privately and wants to tax it as such. It's only worth a few hundred quid.

If he switches it over to private tax, will it be liable for VRT? If so, am I right in thinking that he might be be caught out by a minimum charge (there's no option for a golf car van)??

He can tax it private if he wants he would not be liable for any extra VRT but he will be paying a lot more for tax. If it is a 1.9 diesel it will be around 600 euro a year the commercial tax is only 292 euro and there is no problem taxing it commercial and using it privately. The only advantage is that a car-van taxed private is in a loop hole and does not need an nct or doe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Niall F

Wouldn't be additional VRT but can you tax a commerical vehicle privately? I thought you had to have commercial tax. Works out cheaper too as it happens. I'd be curious to know myself if you can tax it privately.

Niall F wrote: »
    Wouldn't be additional VRT but can you tax a commerical vehicle privately? I thought you had to have commercial tax. Works out cheaper too as it happens. I'd be curious to know myself if you can tax it privately.

Yes you can tax a commercial vehicle privately. I did it with my first car a fiesta car-van it was a 1.3 petrol so the private tax was much the same as commercial tax and I was able to avoid both the nct and doe due to a loop hole by taxing a commercial vehicle privately. However if the vehicle is above 1.3 it would be best taxing it commercial and doing the doe as it would work out cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

To tax it as a private car the vehicle would need its rear seats, belts and windows reinstalled and the floor removed, rear seats reinstalled then he would have to pay VRT and his road tax would go up to over €500 a year.

If he wants to keep it as a van he simply needs to do nothing, he can pay the €300 a year commerciial tax, no proble if driving private or commercial.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    To tax it as a private car the vehicle would need its rear seats, belts and windows reinstalled and the floor removed, rear seats reinstalled.

No you can tax a commercial vehicle privately as it is as I said I have done it and lots of lads I know who have owned small engined car-vans have also done it without any problems( in order to avoid nct and doe). But as you said the op's brother would be much better of taxing it commercial if the cc of the engine is going to cause a tax bill of 600 euro rather than paying 292 for commercial tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Puncell

No you can tax a commercial vehicle privately as it is as I said I have done it and lots of lads I know who have owned small engined car-vans have also done it without any problems( in order to avoid nct and doe). But as you said the op's brother would be much better of taxing it commercial if the cc of the engine is going to cause a tax bill of 600 euro rather than paying 292 for commercial tax.

i have a new golf van van and had a 05 one aswell and both were insured privately and taxed commercially,

BUT,

i wasnt able to get taxed without DOE cert.
    its only €80 euros for doe, and its not as much hassle on a small commmercial as on a jeep or truck.

so you might wana check out the nct/doe thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I had a car van that was taxed commercially and insured privately. I asked the woman in the tax office about taxing it privately but she said I should just keep it as it was, which I obviously wasn't going to complain about since it's half the price.

Advertisement