Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick problem

Options
  • 12-12-2008 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

started guitar few weeks ago & making good progress. the problem is i find the pick very uncomfortable & when strumming its slipping through my fingers. have tried 3 different thickness but no improvement.

anyone got any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Stick with the plectrum, it'll grow on you. Jut hold it tighter, maybe try one with a matt/grippy finish so that it's less slippy, like one of those nylon jim dunlops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

There are a lot of different picks on the market, with different materials and even shape to give varieties of grip, feel etc.

Some of the Dunlop picks have a rough texture that makes gripping them easier (for example the 'Gatorgrip' picks). Other ones have thick profiles with concave dents (for example Big Stubby).

They won't all be suited to every style and playing attack, but maybe try some Nylon Big Stubbys or something...I really don't see you having a problem gripping those.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

great thanks. iv got jim dunlops but might try something else if im not improving soon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

crazzzzy wrote: »
    started guitar few weeks ago & making good progress. the problem is i find the pick very uncomfortable & when strumming its slipping through my fingers. have tried 3 different thickness but no improvement.

anyone got any tips?
    What do you mean by uncomfortable exactly? It sounds to me like your holding it wrong. If you hold the wide end gently between thumb and forefinger then it is going to be easier to drop.

The way I hold the pick when playing chords is right on the narrow end with only a small part of the actual pick visible between thumb and forefinger. The pick is also angled back towards my wrist slightly. I find that, paradoxically, the more I concentrate on gripping the pick, the more likely I am to drop it :). Maybe the key is to relax a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

thanks for the reply

ya i try hold it down near narrow part but it keeps moving when im stumming....maybe i just need more practice with it. I much prefer to play without pick but cant get as good sound & want to master the pick :D

I've been for few lessons but on a break now til mid jan.

I think the problem is that im loosening my grip while strumming (its not as bad when strumming slowly). its bit frustrating coz im trying to get chord changes quicker & learn songs but have to stop to re-position the pick. I usually use the dark grey jim dunlop (think its .73mm) but have the light grey (.6mm) & black (1mm) aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Make sure you're holding it properly. Adopt the below position you'll never look back once you get the hang of it and you'll never drop it again.;)
    It will feel awkward at first but persevere.

holding-guitar-pick.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I like Dava picks as they have recessed section in the middle with raised parts for grip. It works really well.

You can buy them from http://www.saitenkatalog.de :)

the yellow ones are the best sounding IMO ;)

Advertisement