Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disk Defragmenter Problem

• 12-12-2008 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Running XP Home and I go to run a disk defrag and I get this message when I attempt to analyze or defrag. How do turn off the scheduled chkdsk?

Image is attached, any help is appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosedale6

Dempsey wrote: »
    Running XP Home and I go to run a disk defrag and I get this message when I attempt to analyze or defrag. How do turn off the scheduled chkdsk?

Image is attached, any help is appreciated

Run the chkdsk on your hard drive as that will clean up errors. Then just do the normal defrag.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if all else fails turn of anti virus for duration of defrag or do it in safe mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Rosedale6 wrote: »
    Run the chkdsk on your hard drive as that will clean up errors. Then just do the normal defrag.

Usually these "simple" problems are the tip of the iceberg for several other problems. I want to know what I was getting myself into. :pac:

Yea, did the check and now I can defrag. Still strange to me why the volume was locked in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

May not be a scheduled task. I've had the same problem where Windows stuck an entry in the registry saying the disk needed scaning on reboot but never deleted the entry after it rebooted. All I did was searched the registry for the line that ran chkdsk on startup and modify it, but don't go there if you are not sure of how the registry works.

Just did a google for the error and came up with http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q160963 which is a bit complex but covers the issue. The relevant bit (also applies to XP) is.....

BootExecute value is located in the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\Session Manager
    The default value is:
    BootExecute:REG_MULTI_SZ:autocheck autochk *

.... if yours is different back up the registry or just that key and change it to the default value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosedale6

Chkddsk/f means it will fix errors on your hard drive so you must of had a few errors there that's why it came up as a scheduled task and it couldn't defrag the volume until them errors where sorted out.

Glad you got it all sorted in the end tho.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Rosedale6 wrote: »
    Chkddsk/f means it will fix errors on your hard drive so you must of had a few errors there that's why it came up as a scheduled task and it couldn't defrag the volume until them errors where sorted out.

Glad you got it all sorted in the end tho.:)

It wasnt my PC, fixing one for a friend. I KNEW he doesnt know anything about defragging and his badly needed one :pac:

Thanks for the help lads, much appreciated!

Advertisement