Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A4- Service/Brakepads/Timing Belt - Advice?

Options
  • 12-12-2008 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking for general advice about an Audi.
    I imported an '05 A4 Avant in March. One or 2 small problems but everything worked out, made the necessary savings.
    Made redundant the next month. (Still am :-( ).

Just dropped it in today (local Audi dealer) for end of year service. Quoted €330. Expensive but I knew what was coming. My main reasons were:
    1: Continue the Full Audi service History.
    2: Rear parking sensors had stopped working, so I hoped to get them fixed and reclaim against warranty.

Ok. It was as quoted.€376 inc VAT.

I was told:
    1; My front brake pads were wearing, about 3/4000 kilometers left on them. Replace them for cost of about €150.
    2: Approaching 60k timing belt change. (I'm at 58,000). This would cost "between €600 & €800)
    3; They though the parking sensor might be wiring problem as first look showed nothing.

So my questions are;
    1: How important is the Full <AUDI> service history vs. and Full Service History, with other non-Audi garages, in resale terms. (My guess...not much??)
    2: Would I be better off getting the brake pads done seomwhere else like Advance (or other, I'm in Waterford)? Would I save much? Are there any downsides to this?
    3: Same question but more important for the Timing Belt. Considering substantial cost and Service History Implications.

I want to get the stuff done. I'm not trying to fake the History or anything, hell I WANT it genuine, just save some substantial money. But I'm still unemployed and things not looking good. Selling the car could become important soon.

If I get a better answer on how repairing the Parking Sensors can be paid for against the warranty (instead of me paying and trying to get refunded from the UK garage, who say "Audi" will refund me), then I would go back to the Dealer for that, but otherwise, I'd prefer a better option/options.

Thanks for any considered advice....
    Regards
    Donal

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You could try Blackwater Motors in fermoy. Seem to be quite reasonable on servicing etc. Open at 7.30am these days too, and have a very comfortable waiting area.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

Thanks, although the questions are less about looking for a specific garage than overall thoughts about the 3 main questions.

Donal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I got a timing belt done in Divanes about a month ago. Im driving a 03 130bhp passat so its the same engine. Water Pump, aux belt, t belt, tensioners and diesel filter were done for 600euro. Got a the same quote from Lissarda in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

150 Euro for brake pads for an Audi A4 is a rip off, there is no other phrase for it.

600-800 Euro for a timing belt kit, is even more of a rip off. For a car that is soon to be 4 years old, you are wasting your money going to Audi.

What you don't understand is that when you use the word "genuine", there is really no such object as a "genuine" replacement brake pad or replacement timing belt kit for an Audi, or for any manufacturer, because Audi, Renault, Nissan, etc, etc, do not manufacture brake pads, or timing belt kits or water pumps. These are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), specification parts. There is no difference between an SKF timing belt kit and an "Audi" SKF timing belt kit. The only difference is the box they come in and the price you pay for each product. Same goes for Ferodo brake pads and "Audi" brake pads, the only difference is the box and the price.

Get a decent indy mechanic who is recommended to you and save yourself a fortune.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Darragh29 wrote: »
    150 Euro for brake pads for an Audi A4 is a rip off, there is no other phrase for it.

600-800 Euro for a timing belt kit, is even more of a rip off. For a car that is soon to be 4 years old, you are wasting your money going to Audi.

What you don't understand is that when you use the word "genuine", there is really no such object as a "genuine" replacement brake pad or replacement timing belt kit for an Audi, or for any manufacturer, because Audi, Renault, Nissan, etc, etc, do not manufacture brake pads, or timing belt kits or water pumps. These are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), specification parts. There is no difference between an SKF timing belt kit and an "Audi" SKF timing belt kit. The only difference is the box they come in and the price you pay for each product. Same goes for Ferodo brake pads and "Audi" brake pads, the only difference is the box and the price.

Get a decent indy mechanic who is recommended to you and save yourself a fortune.

If the Audi is the same as the Passat for Timing Belt, its mostly labour rather than parts. Whole front end has to come off, including bumper, grille etc.
    I was quoted €1150 for TB on the Passat by Turner's Cross and €850 by independents. Went to Blackwater and they said €690. I asked about a service while they were at it and they said "About €220". I pointed out that they should be able to do both together, saving on the labour and he looked at me like I had two heads......
    Decided to get it serviced anyway, and got a bill 5 hours later for €720 - for everything. Apparently, they decided to take my advice.....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

whiterebel wrote: »
    If the Audi is the same as the Passat for Timing Belt, its mostly labour rather than parts. Whole front end has to come off, including bumper, grille etc.
    I was quoted €1150 for TB on the Passat by Turner's Cross and €850 by independents. Went to Blackwater and they said €690. I asked about a service while they were at it and they said "About €220". I pointed out that they should be able to do both together, saving on the labour and he looked at me like I had two heads......
    Decided to get it serviced anyway, and got a bill 5 hours later for €720 - for everything. Apparently, they decided to take my advice.....:confused:

Well you can't do both together unless you have a mechanic with 4 hands, in fairness to the outlet that you asked to do that. The Passat and Audi set up are completely different so there isn't the same labour involved for the timing belt on the A4, the A4 is very similar to the Mk 4 Golf...

Advertisement