Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

intercom question

Options
  • 12-12-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

i'm installing an automatic gate which will be controlled by an intercom as well,the gate needs a 24v impulse to operate but my intercom is 12v.would i be able to power my intercom with 24v without causing any damage?the intercom is a comelit ideal kit 5 and the gate is nice wingo kit.I've tried it with the 12v but it won't operate the gate,everything else is working

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your gate will normally just need an open/close pair to start the gate.
    Your intercom can provide this. When you pree the lock release button on your intercom this will switch a negitive, use this to engergise a relay giving you an open /close pair into your gate controller. The controller in turn will then switch the 24v to the motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Ensure that the coil of the NO relay is designed for 12 volts a.c. not 12 volts d.c.
    There is a difference!
    would i be able to power my intercom with 24v without causing any damage?

Intercoms can be very fussy about the transfomers that they use. I replaced a transformer in a Legrand intercom system with a different make of transformer (I just happened to have one in the van). The replacement traffo had the same primary and secondary voltages and VA rating. Although the intercom worked the sound was of very poor quality and had alot of static!

I then changed the traffo for a Legrand one and it was 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lim abroad

Cheers for the replies lads,I changed the transformer to a bell trafo with 12v and 24v outputs,when i powered both the intercom caller and receiver with the 12v there was a lot of static as you said so i powered one with 12v and one with 24v and everything is working hunky dorey without any static. Comelit's technical assistance is absolutely crap i rang and e-mailed and got no reply

Comelit's technical assistance is absolutely crap i rang and e-mailed and got no reply
    I like the Legrand stuff best. They have great support and make quality gear. They are also based in Sandyford Ind. Est.

I bought a modular design digital system from them that could work over 1,000m. It was just 2 wires and I have 5 different houses (with 2 to 6 handsets in each) all on the same 2 wires. Each house can be called independently and can open shared electric gates. Very clear sound and easy to install.

Legrand promised that if I had issues they would call out and fix any problems free of charge!

Worldwide Legrand intercoms have a great reputation. They do nice video intercom stuff too!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lim abroad

Cheers for that Fishdog,I must look into getting the Legrand stuff.I only used Comelit because I was in a hurry and thats all they had in the wholesalers,needless to say I won't be using them again,good technical support is essential in my opinion

• Advertisement

Check this out for more information:

www.automationgate.com/images/LEGRAND_Vid_Intercom.pdf

Legrand also have inhouse intercom experts that will answer your questions over the phone. They are alos quick to come back with a price.

If you install systems as they spec them they will stand over them.

Advertisement