Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retailers in Waterford

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sorry only getting back to this now.
    I don't think you can compare the international retailers who have massive buying power, almost permanent "sales" as a strategy, and huge volume with local independent retailers.

I'd suggest that in most cases the staff were not actually empowered to give any discount and/or had been specifically forbidden from doing so. The only way you're going to get any discount, at all, on a hot product like a new phone is if you make a contractual commitment. The staff will not have any discretion to vary this, although you might get a car kit or something thrown in if you pay the sticker price.

Okay, fair point about comparing the types of retailers. Some local smaller retailers would not have the power to buy as much as the much larger retailers can and therefore might not be able to compete as well or offer big discount/sale days.

However, in this day and age people are going to compare prices. If the same product is cheaper in another store, they will shop there instead. You cant blame them, regardless of who the other store is. Times are tough, not everbody has (if they even had it to begin with) they money they used to have. Conusmer Groups always told us to shop around and we should. If its a minor price difference, sure, but often its a lot more then minor. Thats just with price comparison. Hence why Lidl and Aldi (and Tesco somewat) are so popular!
    Can you seriously imagine a scenario where the shopper selects their goods, gets to the till point and then starts negotiating the price? In every shop? Every time? It'd be like Cairo! I'd like to see someone try it in Guineys.

That is far from what I was suggesting or anyone else (id imagine).

My point here is simple. If you are a regular customer in a shop then you should be given something off for your loyalty. If you have 10 loyal customers who pay hunderds of euro worth of clothes of the year and you refuse to give them even the slightest discount you potentially are going to loose these customers and see a drop in income. Super Quinn, Tesco, Dunness and now Super Value are rewarding customers for their loyalty. You shop a lot, expect to get a gift in return. This increase the amount of people shopping in your store and in turn helps increase your income. You should - of course not all the time - reward those who are loyal to you. Coffee shops, restraunts, take aways are now increasing the loyalty offers to customers.

Then you come across retailers who you might be a new customer but could potentially return and keep returning. You spend a fortune in the store and make the sales assistant and manager happy they have an extra few quid from todays takings. If the customer were to attempt to bargain with them, to get a few quid off, or something thrown in for free or half price, the chances are that customer will return. Im only talking about the more expensive shops, im not talking about shops like Gunieys, Oxfam, TXMaxx or whatever.

Customers should be allowed bargain when spending a lot of money in a store. Customers who are loyal should be rewarded for their loyalty. Within reason and depending on store, price etc.
    Remember that if you buy a PS3 in Newry you'll have to take it back there if it goes wrong.

The chances are slim, so people take the chance. If it breaks, sure you can go back up and do even more shopping when returning it :p A lot of people seem to think the saving is worth it even with stress/petrol costs included.
    I've no connection to any of the shops mentioned/inferred, except to say that my experience in the shop in B'stand St was fine.

SSE

Well I gather you dont believe people should be treated for loyalty or be given discounts for mass purchases. So, you would be happy I guess? Besides, said store is fine other then the fact that even during recession they dont believe in giving discounts or some sort of "Thank You" offering. Instead said store would prefer to get say €100 out of a customer rather then €90. They would have no issues not getting a penny if they couldnt get the €100. Makes no sense, we have two examples of said store where they could be a bit richer this christmas but they wont because they dont believe in loyalty or discounts.

No guarntee thats even at much of a loss, if any, to the retailer.

Interesting debate though and I do see your point.
    Aquos76 wrote: »
    I wouldn't take much notice of Wallis or Debenhams, they have been ripping off their customers for months now which there sterling exchange rates. These 25% off sales they have been having lately, are there way of bringing the prices down to somewhere close to the sterling equivalent.

Heard this a few times and usually the response back is "Its still cheaper" :p. Tesco vs. Super Value is often interesting. Tesco can take advantage of the exchange rates etc. and not pass on as much a redued price as they should. They still do pass on something and it often works out cheaper then Super Value. Though this seems to be changing.
    I'm not disagreeing that service often leaves a lot to be desired and that products can often be bought cheaper in the UK, even before the recent collapse in Sterling.

My point, however, is that you can scarcely expect a business to accept random offers from every TD&H who walks in off the street, particularly in a busy queue in public. If you're spending €5k then a quiet word with the manager might be in order. Why would anyone give a discount on one shirt or PS3 coming up to Christmas?

Customers are free to shop wherever they like, and clearly the shop owners are free to set their pricing policy.

SSE

True, I am thinking more for multiple purchasing worth a few hundered rather then one item. If you bought a good bit, then pass on a discount. Other then that, no. To be fair €5k and they would want to be kissing our toes nevermind giving discounts! :P
    gscully wrote: »
    Sully, have you tried shopping online for a sim-free phone? I wanted a N73 a year ago and had no hope of a reasonable offer from O2, so I got one on pixmania.com instead. Quite cheap too...and delivered promptly via courier.

Got this sorted. Didnt buy online as it was actually being given to me as a gift and the person paying wanted to buy from o2 direct. I was given a generous discount in the end anyway, got the phone and am still a happy o2 Customer. :)
    Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I think loyalty is a word which gets thrown around too much. Its a global market now, if you can't compete on something, price, service etc... you die. And deservedly so.

Like most people, my "loyalty" can be bought at the best of times and in a recession/depression, its a no brainer. I don't think thats just a Waterford thing. I think there is no harm in letting the existing businesses fold, although any job losses would be sad. Things find their own level, eventually businesses which can compete should pop up in their place.. Maybe.

Good point. Though loyalty schemes are often useful for keeping customers, as I explained above. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Ye may just get what you're wishing for papers reporting 70,000 retail jobs gone by easter and one third of outlets closed.
    Funny that when they've such high margins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

rasper wrote: »
    Ye may just get what you're wishing for papers reporting 70,000 retail jobs gone by easter and one third of outlets closed.
    Funny that when they've such high margins

which papers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Ausone

Obviously you need to have a healthy Gross profit margin to stay in business. The size of it depends on your costs.

However the big problem for retailers currently is cash flow, stock levels and the ability to change down a gear.

If a retailer is in a business where they have to forward order, say the summer for winter stock, they will have misjudged the amount of stock that they need to carry. They may not be able to sell all that stock in one season and will have difficulty in paying their suppliers and keeping the business afloat.

Normally, the banks would increase their credit line, but they (banking executives) are scared to do anything.

Difficult situation all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

Ausone wrote: »
    Obviously you need to have a healthy Gross profit margin to stay in business. The size of it depends on your costs.

However the big problem for retailers currently is cash flow, stock levels and the ability to change down a gear.

If a retailer is in a business where they have to forward order, say the summer for winter stock, they will have misjudged the amount of stock that they need to carry. They may not be able to sell all that stock in one season and will have difficulty in paying their suppliers and keeping the business afloat.

Normally, the banks would increase their credit line, but they (banking executives) are scared to do anything.

Difficult situation all round.

One the best posts I have read regarding the current situation - as good an insight into what it's like in retail as you will get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Interesting thread and it confirms a lot of what I've been thinking about the city both pre and post christmas.

I did most of my xmas shopping online and not only was it cheaper, the selection was better and I didn't have to deal with surly staff. It was much less stressful than ever before. the fact that most of the online stores were uk based made it even better.

A lot of the talk has focused on discounts and in these times I think its fair enough to ask for a discount if your buying a lot. thats not the most important thing though in my book is good customer service. A smile and a bit of conversation however meaningless at least makes you feel like a human being rather than just another anonymous lump of meat that doles out money.

With the celtic tiger this city and the country in general lost a lot of the "cead mile failte" that made Ireland famous. Now that we're rocketing back to the poor house retailers are going to have to cop on or their not going to survive it, because make no mistake this is going to be a long recession, it could be several years before we're back to normal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Buying online usually is cheaper as you dont have staff costs and stuff. Business owners cant match the price without being at a fair loss. Business have a lot of costs which internet businesses dont. Obviously there needs to be a line drawn where it isnt a major difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Ausone

Sully wrote: »
    Buying online usually is cheaper as you dont have staff costs and stuff. Business owners cant match the price without being at a fair loss. Business have a lot of costs which internet businesses dont. Obviously there needs to be a line drawn where it isnt a major difference.

Agreed, re online shopping. However you cant touch, smell, taste or check size online. It is difficult to compare some products ie clothes, (does my bum look big in this? scenarios)

I really don't understand where you are going with the

"Obviously there needs to be a line drawn where it isnt a major difference."

Most retailers can charge what they like for a product. It is up to you to decide if you want to buy it or not, caveat emptor!

If the Govt could have done anything regarding pricing differences between UK and this country, they would have by now.
    A quick search of a retailers online stores for a specific product in the UK Stg42.99, same retailer, same product, same catalogue ref number, but irish website Eur59.99.

Why?
    Same retailer would probably expect the same net margin from both countries. Therefore, it must be costs (wages, rates, light & heat, insurance, direct and indirect taxes, including red tape expenses (cro, cso etc) and professional services (eg accountancy) or an increase in cost price.
    The cost price will be greater than the UK (transport) but excessively so.

In my opinion we are more expensive because we are a small country (about the size of manchester population wise) and retailers can't achieve economies of scale, there are too many steps in the distribution chain and the govt have not been proactive in cutting out unneeded red tape and costs from carry on a business.

Sorry for the rant.

I have to agree with blaasforrafa re customer service. It certainly has gone to the dogs over the last decade.

• Advertisement

I often have to purchase in store for PC parts when the item is crucial and I cant wait 2 days for delivery. Some stores charge an absolute fortune in terms of what I would pay online - I understand why there needs to be an increase but I dont agree with completely over charging and ripping customers off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I've noticed that there are a few shops in town that are the only one's of their type, that use that fact to charge the maximum they can for items that in Cork or Dublin, I've seen priced normally at 10% less.

I have very little sympathy for those shops in these times because I know they're squeezing the most out of every customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Trotter wrote: »
    I've noticed that there are a few shops in town that are the only one's of their type, that use that fact to charge the maximum they can for items that in Cork or Dublin, I've seen priced normally at 10% less.

I have very little sympathy for those shops in these times because I know they're squeezing the most out of every customer.

any examples to back that up?

Advertisement