Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

12v angle grinder

Options
  • 12-12-2008 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Does such a thing exist? preferably one that takes ordinary 115mm discs. i seen one on ebay but its battery powered. it would be a handy yoke to have in the car. apparently normal AC motors don't like power from inverters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

These things do take quite some power. You wouldn't be grinding for long before your battery is knackered. (Or else the grinder would be so asthmatic that it's pointless anyway ...like 12V hairdryers or kettles)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

towel401 wrote: »
    Does such a thing exist? preferably one that takes ordinary 115mm discs. i seen one on ebay but its battery powered. it would be a handy yoke to have in the car. apparently normal AC motors don't like power from inverters

Might be useful in one or two situations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jvc wrote: »
    Might be useful in one or two situations :D

Thats a consaw.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ha! Could use on of those in the car, bastard's trying to clamp my car haha that'll sort them;)

+1 On draining the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

dewalt make a decent cordless grinder with a car charger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

dewalt make a decent cordless grinder with a car charger

i`ll look out for those when i'm in America. would the battery last long enough to do what they were doing in the video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

If you want to remove clamps then power to you sir.

but a 12v would not remove hair from a ducks ass.

You need a high powered one and a portable generater, B&Q or woodies might stock your requirements...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

towel401 wrote: »
    i`ll look out for those when i'm in America. would the battery last long enough to do what they were doing in the video

hahahaa, indeed it would, the dewalt one is built well, an hour charge would take off atleast 2 clamps

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

Stekelly wrote: »
    Thats a consaw.:rolleyes:

I know that. Same principle. Best clip I found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Ryobi do a 115mm cordless angle grinder in their 18v 'Plus One' range-
    http://www.handyhardware.ie/Home/RYOBI/tabid/124/ProductID/7510/Ryobi-One-CAG-180M-Angle-Grinder-18-Volt.aspx?txtSearch=*

Battery & charger-
    http://www.handyhardware.ie/Home/RYOBI/tabid/124/ProductID/7388/Ryobi-BLK-1820-Lithium-Ion-Battery-18-Volt-Supercharger.aspx?txtSearch=*

I've been using one with flap grinding discs and 1mm cutting discs for a while now, and it's a spectacularly useful piece of kit.
    It's not as powerful as the mains mini-grinders, but it's soooo handy not having a power lead trailing behind it.

I haven't taken particular note of the battery life, but I haven't found it to be a hindrance in general cleaning up/small cutting jobs.

The grinder, one Lithium-Ion battery, and the mains charger run up to around €240 though, so it's not cheap by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

a more subtle option that might also not destroy your paint/tyres with sparks is a rechargable dremel. the little cutting discs are plenty wide enough for a typical padlock/chain and you could probably drown out the noise by running a 12v compressor

Advertisement