Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XIII and versusXIII - new info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

Rather annoyed at this as it was a massive factor, perhaps only in ps3's favour. Turned out i forked over an extra 300 yoyos for nothing:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 54,373 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Rather annoyed at this as it was a massive factor, perhaps only in ps3's favour. Turned out i forked over an extra 300 yoyos for nothing:mad:

what you didnt know that, thats pretty old news tbh

its only exclusive in japan,where it really matters

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

To be honest the PS3 will play multi-platform games and has abunch of exlcusives.

If FF is the only game you ever play then maybe you shouldn't buy a console until the next gen when the current gen ones are even cheaper.

Headshot wrote: »
    what you didnt know that, thats pretty old news tbh

its only exclusive in japan,where it really matters

This was way back before the release date
    noodler wrote: »
    To be honest the PS3 will play multi-platform games and has abunch of exlcusives.

If FF is the only game you ever play then maybe you shouldn't buy a console until the next gen when the current gen ones are even cheaper.

I play more than FF its just that most of the other ps3 exclusives had 360 counterparts

Sell your PS3 then maybe? Best to sell it before the price drop if you do it.

I think its great.

• Advertisement

Sell your PS3 then maybe? Best to sell it before the price drop if you do it.

I think its great.

That is what i'm intending to do. Don't suppose anyone's willing to buy a 60gb at retail price???

Nope didn't think so:D

I can't believe you were naive enough to buy a console for one game that wouldn't be out for around 3 and a half years.

I reckon you will easily sell a 60GB to be honest. I wouldn't pay you 600 for it. I mean I could buy a 80GB and a PS2 for less than 400 up North brand new.

I reckon someone will pay you 400e or more though depending on your games/accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

FF was just a factor that influenced which console i upgraded to.
    And there was no where near a 3 and a half year wait back then
    But it was to be expected

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    www.adverts.ie

If you want to sell your PS3 you can go there and you'll probably get a good enough price for it.

Ya i know just waiting to see if a mate wants it first before i put it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

IGN have an article up now about the FFXIII demo and it reveals some new details about the game. I'm posting the highlights.
    Here's some of what you won't experience in the demo. Although Lightning and Sazh start off together, you won't learn about their relationship until a reflection scene that takes place after the events of the demo. Also, while the demo lets you play from the perspective of just Lightning and Snow, the final version will also have sequences that take place from Vanille's perspective. As you advance with one character, the game will switch to another character and you'll experience what that character has been up to. Apparently, such scenes run in parallel with one-another.

The magazine expressed surprise with some of Sazh's motions from the demo (yes, they were able to sample the demo ahead of everyone else -- see below for what they thought). Apparently, Sazh reacts with surprise from the kickback of his weapons. It turns out that he's not particularly used to battle, and ends up making a lot of unnecessary movements on the battle field.

We'll see just about 30% of the final battle system in the demo, explained Toriyama. The game's "Evolved ATB" system (the name for this system is currently under consideration) will show itself in only its base form. There won't be summons in the demo, although they'll be in the final. Additionally, the demo will limit you to just three move stocks, while the final version of the game will have your possible move stock increase as your character develops. The final version will also have changes to the game's menus to make it easier to input commands even when there are a lot of commands at your disposal.

This star ranking system will be in the demo. A couple of points about the results screen won't make it out until the final, though. The game will have support for Trophies and other PS3 features, Toriyama revealed without getting into specifics. He also briefly mentioned that mysterious "TP Bonus" icon that has been shown in screenshots of the result screens. It has something to do with summon magic, but that's as far as he'd say.

Toriyama was even more vague about the game's character growth system. FFXIII will feature a new character development system, similar to how FFX featured the Sphere system and FFXII the License Board system.

Toriyama also offered up a preview of what happens prior to battle as you move about on the fields of play. As indicated by past trailers, FFXIII's enemies are visible prior to battle. The enemies have fields of vision, and when they see you, they will attack. In the demo, all enemies in the area will proceed to join in on the attack, although in the final version, the enemies will react to you individually.

For the tech heads, the interview also managed a few technical details. The game will output at 720p and 30 frames per second. There are a few slowdown issues with the demo during battle, but these will be cleared out in the final. Also, for those with SD televisions, the development staff is taking care to make sure the game will be readable by all.

Finally, some good news for those concerned about a massive wait for the final version of the game. According to Toriyama, the major areas of the game are nearly done, and now it's just a matter of connecting everything together. The work of the designers is, for the most part, finished.

But first, that demo! Two Famitsu editors were given a chance to sample the demo in advance. Their play time lasted one hour and twenty minutes or so. They praised the speediness of the game and the near zero load times. The background music is "cool," said one editor, who also made note of the detail in the backgrounds which allows you to see characters fighting enemies far in the distance as you move about the fields of play. It would be a loss to not experience the demo, said another editor.

Thoughts? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well, from reading eurogamers article, the battle system appears to be an evolution of X's CTB system, which can only be a good thing!
    Edge - which describes the FFXIII as "the best-looking game on PlayStation 3 yet" - says that the battle system eschews FFXII's real-time programmable parties in favour of an evolution of FFX's more traditional Active Battle System.

Magic and Action points are out, with time being the main resource spent on moves. A character's time gauge is now split into three segments. Weaker spells and abilities will use one of these segments, while more powerful ones will use two or all three. You can therefore queue up multiple moves per character per turn, and there's a suggestion that the number of time segment commands might increase as your characters level up.

Also the bit about following multiple characters along multiple threads is pretty intriguing.

I guess what we most want along (with aforementioned battle system) is an amazingly epic story after the rather dull XII. Hard to believe it's going on 8years now since X :/

Well the demo sounds like just that, a demo, a work in progress rather than what we usually get which is the first level of a game a week before it is released.

I liked 12's battle system etc ad the way you enter battles sounds similiar, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It sounds more like Chrono Trigger than FFXII since the battles take place on the exploration field and are turn based. I hope it's an evolution of the CTB system which for me was perfect and FFXII was a step in the wrong direction. It's sounding good but I'm not sure about the art style. It seems very anime, kind of the usual uninteresting designed by a focus group anime look that square have been using recently to appeal to the japanese teen audience. However last time I said that about an FF game was FFX and I ended up loving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

GothPunk has your copy of Final Fantasy VII Advent Children being posted?

GothPunk has your copy of Final Fantasy VII Advent Children being posted?
    Yep! Play-Asia shipped it out yesterday morning, but I went a bit cheap on the postage so I'm guessing it'll be later on next week by time I get it.

I'm on complete media blackout as I don't want to spoil anything that happens in the demo. I'm really looking forward to it :D

GothPunk wrote: »
    Yep! Play-Asia shipped it out yesterday morning, but I went a bit cheap on the postage so I'm guessing it'll be later on next week by time I get it.

I'm on complete media blackout as I don't want to spoil anything that happens in the demo. I'm really looking forward to it :D

same as myself

cant wait

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The more I see of FF versus XIII the more I know it's going to be nomura bull**** and I'll hate it. The more I see of FFXIII the more I like it. The soundtrack sounds excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Does anyone think they might release the demo on both 360 and ps3 online shop for free download?...like with most other releases.

They more than likely will but much closer to release. They don't want to ruin the one selling point of the blu-ray Advent Children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

...i figured that might be the case

I don't want to tempt you weirdos who are buying Advent Children for a SECOND time (like you've been warned once for christ's sake) but EG did their preview on the demo and were gushing with praise for the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xiii-hands-on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah, Japan got XII a year before us! Can't wait to play FFXIII, Versus doesn't look quite as good. I'm curious as to how they (and Agito) are gonna be related. I'm liking Lightning so far though!

I don't want to tempt you weirdos who are buying Advent Children for a SECOND time (like you've been warned once for christ's sake) but EG did their preview on the demo and were gushing with praise for the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xiii-hands-on
    LOL, EG got their facts a bit mixed up there, FFXIII is confirmed for a PS3 release this winter in Japan, S-E haven't announced a 360 version for Japan let alone set a date for it in any other territories. Does reading EG's preview make you any more enthusiastic for the fact that I'm going to give you a loan of it when I'm done?

Also, I never claimed to have good taste, I think that Advent Children is a great OVA. Plenty of people rebuy films they own on DVD already just to watch them in HD, ACC has been re-rendered and has been given a director's cut. The way I see it, I'm getting a free film with my FFXIII demo!

FFXIII isn't coming out in japan on the 360 though.

GothPunk wrote: »
    LOL, EG got their facts a bit mixed up there, FFXIII is confirmed for a PS3 release this winter in Japan, S-E haven't announced a 360 version for Japan let alone set a date for it in any other territories. Does reading EG's preview make you any more enthusiastic for the fact that I'm going to give you a loan of it when I'm done?

Also, I never claimed to have good taste, I think that Advent Children is a great OVA. Plenty of people rebuy films they own on DVD already just to watch them in HD, ACC has been re-rendered and has been given a director's cut. The way I see it, I'm getting a free film with my FFXIII demo!

Did I see you type somewhere that its costing you 70e? Crazy mofo. And yes I will gladly take a lend! I only cautioned you on the EG bit cos they basically tell you the demo plot.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FFXIII isn't coming out in japan on the 360 though.
    Yeah I know, I'm just covering my ass by saying they haven't announced it, just in case they change their minds. I just find it weird that EG would say the 360 version is coming out this winter when obviously it's not, it'll be out whenever the hell the US/EU get it. Hell there hasn't even been an announcement of an 'Asian' version of FFXIII for the 360.
    Did I see you type somewhere that its costing you 70e? Crazy mofo. And yes I will gladly take a lend! I only cautioned you on the EG bit cos they basically tell you the demo plot.
    Nope, more like e55. What can I say, some people drink, smoke or do other drugs - I spend too much on videogames.

Yeah I skipped to the end of the EG article to get their basic impressions and then saw the tag at the end about the 360 version. I haven't watched any new gameplay videos or the new trailers, but I've read a few of peoples impressions on NeoGAF.

GothPunk any luck in receiving ff demo ?

i havent received it yet

GothPunk any luck in receiving ff demo ?

i havent received it yet
    I haven't received it yet either, curses! I'm somewhat regretting cheaping out on shipping.

• Advertisement

It just arrived in the post! :D It comes in such a pretty box.

Impressions to follow later today.

Advertisement