Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XIII and versusXIII - new info

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its later today already!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,372 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Kiith wrote: »
    Its later today already!

well kiith im not GothPunk but mine arrived today

and it has blown me away,graphics are superb best iv probly ever seen
    from fmv to real time there no difference

the gamplay i loved, of course i dont understand jap but im a big ff fan so i know what to do :)

bosses in the demos are very cool

i love the afro fella,iv no idea whats he's saying but himself and that little chick will be funny ..just know it

getting back to the fighting its different and in a good way,im not a big fan of the previous ff but the ff 13 fighting is very cool in deed, upercut people and watch them fly in the air somtimes

very cool indeed

any questions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is there musch strategy to the battle system?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Is there musch strategy to the battle system?

hmmm

retro it kind a reminds me of Rogue Galaxy(which is superb game)

more branched out version of Rogue Galaxy battle system

youve 3 pts in ff 13 demo

with those 3 pts you can either pick the moves that cost 1 pt or pick the big blast move(which hits alot of enemies at once ) which costs 3pts
    theres ranges of blade attacks and magic attacks and you can do them together

iv finished the demo but im going to have another go playing it,its a good demo size tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Kiith wrote: »
    Its later today already!
    Sorry, I got distracted - I've played it 3 times already, heh.

I'm sure you're all aware of how great the graphics in FFXIII are, and how seamless the transitions are. In this respect, FFXIII reminds me of Lost Odyssey, except there are no loading times whatsoever, bar when the game first starts and when the demo shifts to Snow's viewpoint. A true next-gen experience in the making I think, particularly when I'm fairly certain the game runs in 1080p (i.e. not upscaled). That in itself makes FFXIII the most accomplished console game, graphics wise, thus far.

The music is great, I think there are only about 3 tracks in the demo that play in the field and during battle, but they stand out and really add to the experience.

Story wise, there's not that much to tell - Lightning and Sazh (complete with To-chan, the chocobo that lives in his afro, how I lol'd) don't seem to know each other very well, yet they work together to make their way to the Fal'Cie palace (I'll have to check if this is right, my Japanese ain't that good). Just over half way through the demo it switches to Snow, who for me comes across as very likable in how he encourages his team and his fellow resistance fighters. From what I can tell, Lightning and Snow have a common enemy in Cocoon which is obviously how they end up teaming up in the full game. The cutscenes were well acted, in both voice and motion. What I like best is that when you make the transition from CGI to cutscene to in-game, the character models look very similar, so even though that's really a graphical thing it adds to the flow of the story. The demo made me think of the opening to FFX a lot. It was linear in progression but I doubt the full game will be like that, this is just a snippet.

Running around in the field is great, being able to turn the camera around 360 degrees and taking in what's going around you and seeing little battles going on in the distance. Every now and then a stray rocket or spray of bullets may hit near you. You automatically hear what NPCs are saying when you walk within earshot. When you come across enemies, they appear on your radar first when they are far away, and then they get little warning signs above their heads when they get closer to you. It is possible to avoid encounters, but you have to time it right - it kind of only really works if they have their backs to you and/or you have enough room to circle them. When you get close to an enemy battle starts, and fades into view seemlessly.

I really like the battle system, it has a lot of potential. I can see a lot of the strategy being in which attacks you choose to use and the order you use them. For example, when I was playing as Lightning, if you hit a Psi-Con guy and then launch him into the air, your party members will get a few extra shots in whilst the enemy falls back to the ground. Large spells cause splash damage which can hurt multiple foes if you target the right enemy at the right time. You can miss a hit, but I think it happens quite rarely. As you would expect, certain enemies are weakest to physical attacks, others to magic attacks. As Lightning only has Fire and Firaga and Snow only has Blizzard and Blizagga equipped in the demo, I couldn't test the effect of different elements on the same enemy in the same battle. What I can see being a factor in the full game is timing of attacks, so the strategic element to the battles may lie there also. This was only really true for the Behemoth boss at the end of the demo, which was actually quite hard to beat (it killed me on the first go). So FFXIII still has ATB, it's just really active ATB.

There was some kind of bonus bar in the top right corner, I'm not sure yet what that does or applies to (Edit: It's a damage multiplier which rewards you for keeping up combo's). When you finish battles you get a rating and there is something called 'TP bonus', but we'll have to wait for the full game to see what that applies to.

As it stands, the demo only gives what I'm assuming is a simplified version of what is to be in the final game. There are no summons or items, which will be in the full game. If you set up a chain of 3 attacks, and the enemy dies after 1 or 2, you waste the last attack. I think I remember reading somewhere that this will be different in the final game.

I was expecting to be impressed by this demo, and I was. The battle system is fun as it is in the demo, I can only hope that it has more depth in the final game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm... that battle system sounds strangely like Panzer Dragoon Saga's. Prehaps after 10 years that game is finally making it's belated and long overdue impact on JRPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ohgod...how i hope i can finish these exams soon and go home and hug my ps3...just to see hows this demo look like!

sound like a proper ATB version of FFX-2.i've always found the idea of walking around the field(during the battle) attacking the enemy is a great idea,throw in some combo attacks of you or your team mates can make the battle so much fun and challenging.but jesus i still dont like the way you are semi-control other characters during battle ie you setup the auto attacks of the others like in FF12 is simply disgrace imo.ffs,the fun part of all kind of RPG is that you use your brain to kill off the enemies by a brilliant strategy not by some brain dead auto attack.

not too surprise to hear you are killed in the 1st boss fight lol remember my first time to play FF6 back when i was a newbie,or the memorable fighting the FF7's first boss and then you need to run out before the countdown,or the running away from the black widow in FF8 before the countdown but if you can beat it you get lots of AP - Square has always been ensuring the right game setting for both beginner and experienced players.altho i rarely die in any of the FF except some special boss fight:pac:or until the horrible imbalance gayness of the dozens of high level little bats attack you at the same time/hidden bosses in FF12..........

seraphimvc wrote: »
    but jesus i still dont like the way you are semi-control other characters during battle ie you setup the auto attacks of the others like in FF12 is simply disgrace imo.ffs,the fun part of all kind of RPG is that you use your brain to kill off the enemies by a brilliant strategy not by some brain dead auto attack.
    The auto control enemies is only in the demo though, I read in an interview that you can switch to each member of your party in the full game. Maybe they will have some kind of optional auto system though, because I can see some people finding the action a bit too fast paced if the game gets more complex.
    not too surprise to hear you are killed in the 1st boss fight lol remember my first time to play FF6 back when i was a newbie,or the memorable fighting the FF7's first boss and then you need to run out before the countdown - Square has always been ensuring the right game setting for both beginner and experienced players.altho i rarely die in any of the FF since 7:pac:until the horrible imbalance gayness of the dozens of high level little bats attack you at the same time/hidden bosses in FF12..........
    Hey I'm no newb, the Behemoth is really hard, I sware!

Headshot, did you have trouble with the Behemoth boss by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Glad to hear it is all looking promising. It was never going to be an ugly game was it?

Still playing Persona 4, 20 hours in but I hear there are 80 hours gameplay. The amount of gay references in one game is staggering.

GothPunk wrote: »
    Hey I'm no newb, the Behemoth is really hard, I sware!

Headshot, did you have trouble with the Behemoth boss by any chance?

:Djust kidding man!like i said,we are quite experienced RPG player ,but i died in ff12 many times - generally speaking we wont die in a RPG with a balanced system,SE is getting sh!te on the balancing there but in the mean time you cant blame them for trying to make a RPG challanging.

• Advertisement

:Djust kidding man!like i said,we are quite experienced RPG player ,but i died in ff12 many times - generally speaking we wont die in a RPG with a balanced system,SE is getting sh!te on the balancing there but in the mean time you cant blame them for trying to make a RPG challanging.
    I actually really want it to be challenging, too many games nowadays are too easy or are hard in stupid ways. I've heard that FFXIII is going to be hard but if a boss kills you and you get game over, you can restart at the start of the boss battle, instead of having to load up your game again and trying to make your way back to where the boss was.

never died during any stage of the demo .suprised people died at the behemoth .bloody noobs :D

Headshot wrote: »
    never died during any stage of the demo .suprised people died at the behemoth .bloody noobs :D
    No! My credability! :pac:

What kept happening to me was that the Behemoth kept launching me into the air, which would interupt whatever commands I had lined up. Even though my team were healing me like crazy and I was healing myself as best I could, Snow has ~950HP, the Behemoth was taking off ~750HP and each cure heals 500HP. So the Behemoth kept chaining me and I tried to hit it in between heals but it killed me anyways.

What did you think of the FFXIIIversus and FFXIII Agito trailers? Have you watched Advent Children Complete yet?

Even though my team were healing me like crazy and I was healing myself as best I could, Snow has ~950HP, the Behemoth was taking off ~750HP and each cure heals 500HP. So the Behemoth kept chaining me and I tried to hit it in between heals but it killed me anyways.

heh!!as a FF's tradition,you know the early stage of the game wont need to use any healing/potion/phoenix down at all:p your strategy must have gone wrong some how :D

An RPG were you never die? Sounds crap.
    heh!!as a FF's tradition,you know the early stage of the game wont need to use any healing/potion/phoenix down at all:p your strategy must have gone wrong some how :D

You make it sound like you've played it!

No! My credability! :pac:

What kept happening to me was that the Behemoth kept launching me into the air, which would interupt whatever commands I had lined up. Even though my team were healing me like crazy and I was healing myself as best I could, Snow has ~950HP, the Behemoth was taking off ~750HP and each cure heals 500HP. So the Behemoth kept chaining me and I tried to hit it in between heals but it killed me anyways.

What did you think of the FFXIIIversus and FFXIII Agito trailers? Have you watched Advent Children Complete yet?

havent watched it yet

ill be doing all that tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

The demo sounds really cool, I'm looking forward to playing it myself!

I'm curious about AC Complete, please post your thoughts.

Mr. K wrote: »
    I'm curious about AC Complete, please post your thoughts.
    Alright :D In short, ACC belongs on the list of director's cuts that improve on the original.

Advent Children Complete is beautiful, it makes the conversion to HD wonderfully and it really 'pops' out from the screen. There are extra effects everywhere, and everything has a bit more colour. From the dirt, blood and vomit, to the fact that no character models are repeated this time around, ACC just sucks you into the world and feels more... complete :pac:

The film has about 30 minutes of extra material, the majority of which are new story elements, although the highway chase and Cloud/Sephiroth fight gain kickass additional material. If you've watched the trailer you'll probably have noticed Sephiroth impaling Cloud with his sword and Yazoo driving his motorbike at a Shinra helicopter - so in effect the climax of the film is much better I think.

I'm not going to spoil all the new story elements here, but what I will say is that after watching ACC I felt like I could show it to someone who was completely unfamiliar with the story and they would know what was going on. I remember watching AC with a mate of mine and he had absolutely no idea what was happening half the time. ACC has more explanation of what the Remnants want, Denzel now has a back story that's actually quite sad and a few old scenes have had little things added - like a radio broadcast or an extended conversation.

The single greatest addition to the film is the fact that Geostigma is actually portrayed as a deadly disease. We see people actually die from it, and not just walking around with what looks like bread mould on their bodies. This plays into the story well, as the extra story parts involving Cloud make him seem less 'emo' and more like someone who has a terminal illness who can't bear to let down his friends. Before I kind of felt like I couldn't really understand why Cloud was being so 'emo', but now I think I can understand his behaviour.

There is one scene in particular, where Marlene says something really hilarious that I think people who've played FFVII will get a kick out of. Kudos go to the English VA who I think are much better than the Japanese VA for the film.

Pretty much everything I didn't like about Advent Children has been rectified, although we're still treated to 'dilly-dally silly-shally' (although I guess it doesn't stick out so much anymore). The music, which was excellent before, has more impact now I think as the songs have been remixed and fit into each scene better.

If you didn't like AC before because of a few niggles, you may find you enjoy it a bit more now. If you hated AC, you might hate it a little bit less. If you liked it before, you'll love it now.

ACC is a brilliant OVA. Yes the story is still quite ridiculous and the action scenes are over the top, but as a fan service piece it excels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Yeah, I wondered why Cloud seemed to be all angsty again. It seemed like they had forgotten that he cheered up a whole lot by the end of VII.

I enjoyed AC, but the lack of clarity made it less than it could have been. It sounds like Complete is a better experience.

noodler wrote: »

wow :D brilliant comment - the chances of game over in a RPG compare to FPS/ACT is like 1:10?or even 1:100 in some cases:pac: unless you run into special enemies/boss/final boss,generally,with abit grinding on leveling up - the common sense in RPG world.i never know how the gameover screen of FF7 look like until the international version killed by ruby/emerald weapon lol

and ,dude,dont ignore what i said on the post before:

'altho i rarely die in any of the FF except some special boss fight'

when the fck did i say i never die in a RPG???

'generally speaking we wont die in a RPG with a balanced system'
    - this is true caused' special boss/enemies/final boss they are no way you can predict how to beat them before hand - they are made to be imbalance:rolleyes:
    You make it sound like you've played it!

i should said sorry i didnt mean to it make it sound like I've played it:D

but eh,sue me for
    ''heh!!as a FF's tradition,you know the early stage of the game wont need to use any healing/potion/phoenix down at all your strategy must have gone wrong some how''
    being a fact!:p

p/s:we were all kidding here and no one should take it serious - dont try to disturb the peace atmosphere here please

• Advertisement

Panzer Dragoon Saga is ridiculously easy and I finished it without seeing the game over screen, yet it remains my favourite game ever. I think it's in the favour of story based RPG's to be easy instead of getting bogged down by a really tough boss fight.

wow :D brilliant comment - the chances of game over in a RPG compare to FPS/ACT is like 1:10?or even 1:100 in some cases:pac: unless you run into special enemies/boss/final boss,generally,with abit grinding on leveling up - the common sense in RPG world.i never know how the gameover screen of FF7 look like until the international version killed by ruby/emerald weapon lol

and ,dude,dont ignore what i said on the post before:

'altho i rarely die in any of the FF except some special boss fight'

when the fck did i say i never die in a RPG???

'generally speaking we wont die in a RPG with a balanced system'
    - this is true caused' special boss/enemies/final boss they are no way you can predict how to beat them before hand - they are made to be imbalance:rolleyes:

i should said sorry i didnt mean to it make it sound like I've played it:D

but eh,sue me for
    ''heh!!as a FF's tradition,you know the early stage of the game wont need to use any healing/potion/phoenix down at all your strategy must have gone wrong some how''
    being a fact!:p

p/s:we were all kidding here and no one should take it serious - dont try to disturb the peace atmosphere here please

How can someone with such an awful grasp of the English language come across as so condescending in every post?

Keep it civil guys :/

lol that's exactly why i added my p/s for dear noodler.i am afraid the exams pressure is killing everyone but hey, take it easy man.

we are all gamers who love games and 'surprisingly', we are abit emotional when comes to comment on something that we felt on these games.(i suppose you wont get the meaning of this sentence like usual :pac: :P)

what important is,we discuss games here,it is normal that forum users disagree or agree on something of what peope said.but we dont take it outside of forum or the next thread,or like your post up there, just come in to shoot a bullet on me lol

awful english or not - lol i am so damn lazy on saying anything on that(no way i am arguing an language topic in game forum caused' of you rofl).just cut it short, dude,you still get what i meant overall aint you?

@Retro,if you are wondering whats happening here then is about exams pressure and i think we had some argument in the college forum before :D
    Alright :D In short, ACC belongs on the list of director's cuts that improve on the original.

The single greatest addition to the film is the fact that Geostigma is actually portrayed as a deadly disease. We see people actually die from it, and not just walking around with what looks like bread mould on their bodies. This plays into the story well, as the extra story parts involving Cloud make him seem less 'emo' and more like someone who has a terminal illness who can't bear to let down his friends. Before I kind of felt like I couldn't really understand why Cloud was being so 'emo', but now I think I can understand his behaviour.

heh!good stuff!no wonder my friend(non gamer) strongly recommend ACC to me after he watched it.now,should i just order the BD version or just the 'online download' version?:cool:

Read post 106 in this thread to 'know what is happening'. Notice how GP thanked my post.

My post about you being rude yet again in a post but not realising/caring.

Thats whats happening here-nothing more, nothing less.

My post about you being rude yet again in a post but not realising/caring.
    That's pretty much it. seraphimvc, I think that I just have a hard time understanding you at times so maybe you're coming across as more negative or rude than you mean to?

Anyways, whether you buy ACC or download it, let us know what you think.

.wow :pac: rude?i am gonna quote another 'rude' comment:
    John Giles wrote: »

:D goth you thanking noodler there is simply meaning that you are not up for small joke/slagging.i really dont see any harm at all.what i mean here is,go shoot John before you shoot me,to prove that noodler you are not aiming me for personal abuse.and you didnt.

as i said i am damn busy atm and how we FF fans are eagerly to try/get to more news on FF13(which is why we who didnt get the demo appears in this thread) - we are happy to hear more of Goth demo review plus i am just sharing abit sh!te from my experience on the passed FF series.i emphasized that 'as a tradition' how FF works,whereas if the new 13 is different or not doesnt matter - my point is still valid. in FF4-12 we hardly get any chance to use potion/healing/phoenix down at all at the early stages - if you die in ff13 in the first stage simply meaning that:
    1)your strategy has gone wrong OR
    2)FF13's difficulty is raised compare to older FF

if the case is 2), then it is an important information to me and thus my replies commenting on your game over - i wanna know more about it!!

you get the full picture?i have reasons behind everything i said.

i dont think i am being not realising/caring.in fact,i am extremely careful on my words thus all the emoticon/no abusive word etc,caused' if i am being rude here,i will say,example,like the Option1 above,i will write it as1)you s*ck ;)

and for the ACC part.:pac:my question should be read as:
    Dear Goth,
    would you say it is worth the effort/money to get the BD version as a collection(caused it is not available in shop, takes a week to arrive my hand if online order ,the price is not cheap at all and i have seen the old AC before),or i should just download it free online and give it an easy watch?

I thanked noodler because he said what I thought - that you were acting like you had played the demo. That's all.
    and for the ACC part.:pac:my question should be read as:
    Dear Goth,
    would you say it is worth the effort/money to get the BD version as a collection(caused it is not available in shop, takes a week to arrive my hand if online order ,the price is not cheap at all and i have seen the old AC before),or i should just download it free online and give it an easy watch?
    Well, I think if you liked AC, it is worth it to buy ACC to watch in HD properly. If you only liked AC a little bit, I would say download it now and then maybe buy it when it comes out over here so that it'll be cheaper.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm... that battle system sounds strangely like Panzer Dragoon Saga's. Prehaps after 10 years that game is finally making it's belated and long overdue impact on JRPGs.
    I was reading on NeoGAF a while ago, and some guy was saying that he thought it sounded like Panzer Dragoon Saga, but after playing it said it's not really like it at all.

• Advertisement

So I haven't beaten the Behometh yet becasue he is cheap as **** (you wander about killing everything in sight-even gettinh him down to his last 1/4 HP and then his multiple 700HP attacks kick in) but the demo is more beautiful than anything I have ever seen.

I assume the normal battle music we heard is going to be the norm in the game-it is a slightly different route to the usual but quite catchy although I only had about 7 fights so lets see how it holds up over 100+. The transition between field and battle is as seamless as it has ever been and this is all without any kind of install on the HDD.

Looking forward to it. I will be importing this from the States if they dick about too much.

Advertisement