Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XIII and versusXIII - new info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

noodler wrote: »
    I assume the normal battle music we heard is going to be the norm in the game-it is a slightly different route to the usual but quite catchy although I only had about 7 fights so lets see how it holds up over 100+. The transition between field and battle is as seamless as it has ever been and this is all without any kind of install on the HDD.

Looking forward to it. I will be importing this from the States if they dick about too much.
    From what I've read there will probably be some differences with the battle music - for example the battle fanfare was missing from the demo and will be in the full game. I also think I read somewhere that there are two or three composers writing music for the game so that could mix things up a bit. I like the Star Wars/techno/metal vibe I get from the current Main Theme anyways.

I'll definitley be importing from North America, I mean, what's the point in waiting when you have a region free console? Hopefully this time next year we'll be placing our pre-orders ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GothPunk wrote: »
    I was reading on NeoGAF a while ago, and some guy was saying that he thought it sounded like Panzer Dragoon Saga, but after playing it said it's not really like it at all.

Well it's the whole use 1 bar to attack a single target and 2 to attack multiple targets. It's kind of similar since in PDS you choose between a single strong attack or a weaker attack that can attack all enemies or save up 2-3 bars for magic attacks. It's just that bit that reminded me of it although thats were the similarity ends. FFXIII has you controlling multiple characters while PDS you only control 1 and the battle system is much more dynamic and cinematic since you have to keep changing your position around enemies to avoid attacks.

Hopefully it is an influence even if it is a small one because PDS is amazing and any similarity is a good thing :)
    GothPunk wrote:
    I also think I read somewhere that there are two or three composers writing music for the game so that could mix things up a bit.

They had 3 composers for FFX and I thought it added a whole lot to the soundtrack. Nobuo Uematsu concentrated on the piano and main themes. Junya Nakano on the energetic and battle themes and Masashi Hamauzu on the atmospheric stuff. It was amazing and I actually much preferred the other two composers work to Nobuo's in that games. I have to say I like what I heard and Masashi Hamauzu is back I think and I've loved his work so far. I hope it's good because Hitoshi Sakimoto produced an uncharacteristically weak soundtrack for FFXII and I usually love his work.

If we are lucky we could get an english language korean version or at least one with english text.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

GP.

Is this version any different to yours? Or is it just superficial?

http://kotaku.com/5241525/square-enix-has-no-plans-for-english-ffxiii-blu+ray-demo

• Registered Users Posts: 54,372 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

yap thats the same as ours

actually the first box is different than mine

I got a lend of GP's but isn't every box there different to yours GP?

EDIT: Or at least two of them anyway

• Advertisement

I got a lend of GP's but isn't every box there different to yours GP?

EDIT: Or at least two of them anyway
    Yep that version has the exact same discs, but a different cover for ACC. It came with the Cloud Black PS3/ACC bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

Did ye buy Advent children complete off ebay?

The_D_Man wrote: »
    Did ye buy Advent children complete off ebay?
    No I pre-ordered it on Play-Asia.com.

So it did'nt come with subtitles?

The_D_Man wrote: »
    So it did'nt come with subtitles?
    No subtitles but it does have an English dub. They somehow had enough time to get the Enlish voice actors to dub the new scenes but not to add subtitles :pac:

• Advertisement

And theres definitely no subtitles for The XIII demo?

Nope, Japanese demo. If they ha gone through the hassle of subtitles then they would have stuck the demo on the Western release too.

Sorry about all the questions but Is it worth importing for 50 euro and will my playstation be able to play the demo and the Blu-ray?

Any PS3 can play the demo as it's region free, and any BluRay player can play the movie because it is also region free. I was going to buy Advent Children Complete anyway so to me it was worth the €50 for the film and the demo. It's a really nice looking package as well if you like stuff like that.

Thanks. How long did it take for it to arrive?

It took 11 days for me, but that included two weekends. If you ordered and it was shipped on a Monday maybe you'd get it in 8 or 9 days.

The E3 trailer is up now on the official website. You can even watch it in HD :D

A new trailer for the Tokyo Game Show has been released, and is available on the Japanese PSN in full HD glory. It's 798MB in size.

As expected, the game looks glorious and the music is awesome, but what's different about this trailer is that some of the story is revealed, particularly regarding Lightning's sister, Serah. There's lots of drama, but alos lots of gameplay shown, demonstrating some of the different enemy types, the different summons and the 'Optima Change' system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Here's a interesting write-up about FFXIII: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26643/Analysis_The_Conundrum_of_Final_Fantasy_XIII.php

Well worth a read.

Anyone got this in on import?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

That's an interesting article, spoiler-free too. I'm quite wary of spoilers at this point, I think I'll be avoiding any more trailers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's an english language trailer up on eurogamer with voice acting. The acting is ****e and the dialogue seems to be not so well translated but I've experienced and enjoyed games with far worse. It just seems like a step backwards from the dialogue and acting in FFXII.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will they give us an option to keep it in Japanese, with English subtitles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Already been confirmed months ago thet there will be no Japanese Language option. English only... Not sure, but this might be for xbox 360 only, thats just my personal guess.

I heard no Japanese too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Just read the hands on eurogamer put up. Doesnt sound too positive at all. REALLY dislike the buying weapons at save points and their being no shops :(

To me it sounds very similar to FFX in how linear it is. No problem for me because to be honest the traditional FF games are all very linear other than FF6's final act despite the illusion of open world generated by an over map. I've heard the battle system is exceptional and if it has a decent story I'll be as happy with it as I was with FFX. I wouldn't trust a eurogamer write up since they seem to be very harsh on traditional JRPGs and prefer WRPGs. Jermey Parish's first impressions are what I'd trust. He loves it but does say that the linearity will put some people off.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    To me it sounds very similar to FFX in how linear it is. No problem for me because to be honest the traditional FF games are all very linear other than FF6's final act despite the illusion of open world generated by an over map. I've heard the battle system is exceptional and if it has a decent story I'll be as happy with it as I was with FFX. I wouldn't trust a eurogamer write up since they seem to be very harsh on traditional JRPGs and prefer WRPGs. Jermey Parish's first impressions are what I'd trust. He loves it but does say that the linearity will put some people off.

I kind of forgot how linear the first half of FFX was.

Even then, and I dunno if anyone else does this, but I always tried to go back through the stages after a major event. Like after Seymour kills his father for example, I wonder to myself "what would the people in Besaid think about this?" and I start backtracking. Sometimes you get new dialogue from the characters sometimes they would just make it so the sjip back to the Island was not working (meaning they hadn't got new dialogue prepared for the given scenario).

Regardless, if it is anywhere near as good as X's battle system then I will be pleased. Very satisfying, overkill for the win etc.

Regardless, if it is anywhere near as good as X's battle system then I will be pleased. Very satisfying, overkill for the win etc.
    Well FFXIII has the 'Break' system, which gives you big attack bonuses for playing well and exploiting the weaknesses of foes. Once the game picks up it's definitely not a 'continuously press X' type battle system that you can accuse some Final Fantasy games of being.

To me FFXIII sounds like they've distilled the game down to what people expect of a Final Fantasy title; clearly linearity isn't a big deal for the majority of gamers anyway when one considers Uncharted 2 was GOTY for the majority of games blogs/publications etc. Like Retr0 points out Final Fantasy games have always been quite linear, they would just play to the illusion of an open world. I've heard so many people complain about linearity in Final Fantasy XIII yet they haven't played FFXI or have no interest in FFXIV - if they cared about towns, shops, open worlds and massive dungeons as much as they claim to they'd give those games a shot. There are plenty of JRPGs out there - I play Final Fantasy games for over-the-top presentation, convoluted storylines, battle system and the character/world design. Final Fantasy XIII looks to me like it delivers on all these fronts.

Well FFXIII has the 'Break' system, which gives you big attack bonuses for playing well and exploiting the weaknesses of foes. Once the game picks up it's definitely not a 'continuously press X' type battle system that you can accuse some Final Fantasy games of being.

Best thing about FFX's system, the reward for finishing somebody off using their weakness rather than a standard attack
    To me FFXIII sounds like they've distilled the game down to what people expect of a Final Fantasy title; clearly linearity isn't a big deal for the majority of gamers anyway when one considers Uncharted 2 was GOTY for the majority of games blogs/publications etc.

Uncharted would have been in trouble but for the story, graphics, voice acting, soundtrack and relatively tight gun play but yeah.

Like Retr0 points out Final Fantasy games have always been quite linear, they would just play to the illusion of an open world.

I'm not too sure about this myself. I mean FF games also give you the the illusion that you are a spikey haired affeminite bloke with a masive sword, I still most FF games give you ample opportunity to F*** off and do a variety of other stuff while the main quest is going on. Compared to a helluve a lot of other games I think this IS non-linearity to be frank.

Fallout 3 or Oblivion might be on the other end of the spectrum.

• Advertisement

Well you can back track in the older games but really there's no point or reward to doing it. Usually the side quests usually open up in the last few hours when you are preparing for the final battle. A card game or a gold saucer type mini game place really isn't a mark of non-linearity.

Advertisement