Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to connect 1/2" pipe to water filter (6mm?)

Options
  • 12-12-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I have a water filter installed that was connected to my mains by a self-drilling fitting that was clamped onto the 1/2" qualpex and then screwed in so that it cut into the pipe and made a seal.

When installing a dishwasher recently the fitting must have gotten a pump as the screw-in seal started leaking. I have now disconnected it and just replaced it with a 1/2" compression t-junction fitting and blanked one exit on it.

I need to join the 1/2" pipe to the water filter pipe with a permanent connection. I think the water filter pipe is 6mm (to confirm should I measure internal or external diameter?). The water filter pipe is terminated with a push-fit straight connector (i.e. pushes onto the pipe and at the other end has a female screw fitting).

I think a 1/2" to 6mm reducer straight coupler would do the job but Chadwicks didn't have one and couldn't really help so I'd like to try and confirm if I'm looking for the right thing and any ideas on where to get it (online would be fine) are much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

You should be able to get a 1/2 in to 1/4 in reducing compression tee, reducing on the branch, at most builders suppliers I'd have thought. Alternatively if there's a B&Q in your area they often stock such things. Copper pipe is measured in the outside diameter as are the pipe fittings for it.

The filter pipe you describe -- presumably the female screw fitting is what fits on the filter body, with the push on connector on the free end? If so you'll need a short piece of 1/4 in pipe for the compression fitting. If not then you should be able to buy a 1/2 in compression stud with a 1/4 in BSP male end. That could be connected to your existing tee with a short piece of 1/2 copper tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

ART6 wrote: »
    The filter pipe you describe -- presumably the female screw fitting is what fits on the filter body, with the push on connector on the free end?

Hi Art. There is a pipe connected to the water filter at one end and at the other end it has a push-on fitting that pushes on to the pipe at one end with a female screw fitting on the other end with the intention being that that fitting is screwed onto the supply pipe.

I bought a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer in B&Q at the weekend but the 1/4" screw fitting was marginally too thick. I think that's because the water filter pipe is actually 6mm external diameter not internal if that makes sense. Either way, looks like I need to find some other fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

frank check yr pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Hi Art. There is a pipe connected to the water filter at one end and at the other end it has a push-on fitting that pushes on to the pipe at one end with a female screw fitting on the other end with the intention being that that fitting is screwed onto the supply pipe.

I bought a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer in B&Q at the weekend but the 1/4" screw fitting was marginally too thick. I think that's because the water filter pipe is actually 6mm external diameter not internal if that makes sense. Either way, looks like I need to find some other fitting.

I would expect that the thread on the female fitting is BSP, while that on the reducing tee compression fitting is not, which is why they won't match. One way around that would be to buy a 1/4 inch compression to 1/4 inch BSP male stud fitting and connect the tee and the stud with a short piece of 1/4 in pipe. Alternatively, go back to the 1/2 in tee you had, and connect it to a 1/2 inch compression to 1/4 in BSP stud.

Advertisement