Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geminid meteor shower 13th-14th December

Options
  • 12-12-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

The Geminid meteor shower peaks tomorrow and Sunday night. Even though there is a full moon you should still see more "shooting stars" per hour than normal. Thats if the clouds stays away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ei0675

I tried to get to see this lastnight (saturday) but was too cloudy here! ill try again tonight! any idea of when is the peak time for this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

It was cloudy here too. I'm not too hopeful for tonight either. Best time to view them is from 10PM. More info here http://spaceweather.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭JoeyW

Gutted! I never knew it was happening until now. Did anyone else see it?

Well watched tonight fro 9.30pm, seen about 8 meteors but only really the first one stood out at about 9. 40pm. went indoors at 11.30pm very cold out but a perfectly clear sky, pity about the moon been so bright as a few were quite dim and i guess i missed many because of the lighting conditions. didnt manage to get any pictures but at least i got to see some.

If there wasn't a full moon it would have been perfect. I counted 6 in one hour. Still it was nice to take out the telescope and have a look at the moon.

• Advertisement

I think ill get myself back into Astronomy, recommend any good telescopes? reasonble price mind you!! last one i had was when i was anout 14.. tasco in red!!

ei0675 wrote: »
    I think ill get myself back into Astronomy, recommend any good telescopes? reasonble price mind you!! last one i had was when i was anout 14.. tasco in red!!

I had that red tasco one too :D. I've just got back into it so I'm still learning. The "Want a telescope" sticky at the top of the page is very good. I bought a Celestron Astromaster 90 EQ and I love it. Lidl are selling 4 different types of telescopes on the 22nd December. Worth a look. Also the guys over here http://www.irishastronomy.org/cms/forum are very helpful.

Of course there are very helpful people here too :)

rhonin wrote: »

Of course there are very helpful people here too :)

True and thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I was coming home from wexford the other night and saw a huge shooting star/meteor

When i usually see them the brightness wears off before they get near but this one was bright until it came really close

Advertisement