Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE: Chip n Pin

Options
  • 12-12-2008 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi,

Few days ago I blocked the pin on my new laser card, and have been able to use it since as it automatically looks for the signature, I have re ordered the pin and am waiting on it to arived, but tonight I went to a large retailer to pick up an tem i had reserved for a child as it was last one in stock when i went to pay it by passed pin and asked for signature the cashier s against got the manager who told me it is against the law to allow me to sign and that i had to pay cash but i did not have this as i could not get to bank today to make a withdrawal, and can not use pass machine for withdrawl this was just before close of business so had no choice to leave the items behind and leave.

Is this the case if so is every other store breaking the law by allowing me to sign previously? And if its not allowed why did it provide the option to do so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you know what the PIN is you can ring the number on your card and they can remove the block and you can then go to an ATM and enter the right PIN.

I believe that the retailer is responsible for fraud etc if they bypass the PIN function. Maybe this was their way of trying to avoid saying "sorry sir, if you robbed this card I ain't having this taken outta my wages!".

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

Random wrote: »
    If you know what the PIN is you can ring the number on your card and they can remove the block and you can then go to an ATM and enter the right PIN.

I believe that the retailer is responsible for fraud etc if they bypass the PIN function. Maybe this was their way of trying to avoid saying "sorry sir, if you robbed this card I ain't having this taken outta my wages!".

No I completely forget the pin and am waiting on the new one to be isssued to me. I could have provided ID to prove it was me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ok they over reacted a little. the only law breaking is the terms and cond of chip and pin.

the retailers is takes the risk of allowing you to sign for it,if the card was defrauded they take the loss. The option is there to allow the retailer take the risk ie. if they knew you they might allow it.

you take the risk when you use your pin, if someone finds out your pin and uses your card your responsible not the bank anymore, they just passing the buck

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Yep, retailers aren't meant to bypass the pin if the card has a chip, even if the pin is locked, unfortunately many of the credit card machines still offer the option of signing if the pin is locked. Banks won't cover the retailers if the card is used fraudulently (sp.?) and have instructed retailers to only accept pins. Still have all the bumpf that was sent out last year about this (been the law since March 07) You got lucky with the retailers who accepted your signature :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If the retailer bypasses the PIN then they are responsible if something fraudulent happens.

Most larger stores have it so that the PIN-pads are connected to the cash registers, and in many cases the bypass function is locked out completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As far as I can remember the customer is liable in theory for fraudulant transactions involving a PIN transaction but if the customer signs for what ever reason the retailer is liable as they have not used a security feature that the bank provides.

So I advised my mum to block her card as she hated the PIN when it first came in but I warned her that the retailer would not have to accept her signature.

I'm sure it's easier to pass a cloned card with the PIN disabled..... (not in anyway accusing you of course!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I think banks got much tougher on pin bypass 6/7 months ago. On tills, you used to be able to swipe a chip card, it'll say 'the card is a chip card, override or cancel' and you override and the person signs for it like any American/etc. card. But now if you try to override it you need a manager (I think I work for said retailer). I just ask for an override when this happens. If you card is damaged and the chip reader won't accept it 3 times, then it'll say 'Remove card and swipe', without needing an override.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

A lot of till systems don't allow the sale to be processed without a pin.....was it a separate machine or was it part of the till? Where I work its all connected to the same system so it wont allow you to swipe a card with a chip and it wont process a chip and pin credit card transaction without a pin, also speaking as management I wouldn't allow you to sign for a card that had a chip on it either you're leaving yourseld open to fraud that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

shivkk06 wrote: »
    No I completely forget the pin and am waiting on the new one to be isssued to me. I could have provided ID to prove it was me
    ID would be no good as the card could have been skimmed with a new name put on the card to match any ID. The name in itself is for visual reasons only.

A lot of till systems don't allow the sale to be processed without a pin.....was it a separate machine or was it part of the till? Where I work its all connected to the same system so it wont allow you to swipe a card with a chip and it wont process a chip and pin credit card transaction without a pin, also speaking as management I wouldn't allow you to sign for a card that had a chip on it either you're leaving yourseld open to fraud that way.

It was the main till, the machine wasnt seperate, I can understand there is a lot of fraud out there, but there also genuine ppl who have genuinely locked there card and get stuck in this situation, if the option to sign was not available I would not have minded it was the fact that it offer to sign and message on their screen said signature ok yes or no and i was still unable to proceed and told it was against the law to sign for it. i even tried to explain to her that it wouldnt be a prob other than i had item reserved n it was last one in stock, and with my job i had no other chance to look for it else where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

as of March 07 it is illegal for a salesperson to accept signature over Pin numbers. they didn't change it overnight though, it was phased in and the majority of places put signs up explaining it to customers. it's not as if this isn't common practice; i don't know of anywhere that will accept signature including the Dept store that i work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

shivkk06 wrote: »
    It was the main till, the machine wasnt seperate, I can understand there is a lot of fraud out there, but there also genuine ppl who have genuinely locked there card and get stuck in this situation, if the option to sign was not available I would not have minded it was the fact that it offer to sign and message on their screen said signature ok yes or noand i was still unable to proceed and told it was against the law to sign for it. i even tried to explain to her that it wouldnt be a prob other than i had item reserved n it was last one in stock, and with my job i had no other chance to look for it else where

No offence, but most retailers here this every day.

Chip and Pin was introduced to protect the banks and the retailers, not the card holders.

If the retailer has a chip and pin machine, they can refuse the sale if you do not have the pin for your card. If they do not have a chip and pin machine, they can request you to sign, but they take the risk if it is a stolen/cloned card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Surely the retailer could (under the circumstances) hold the item for another few days as an act of goodwill. At the end of the day though they do have certain responsibilities with regard to credit card fraud and once they've bent the rules for one person they kinda set a precedent for all customers.

Just for the record, it's not actually illegal to accept a signature (ie, it is not listed in the statute books) but it's the retailers problem if the transaction is queried at a later stage, that's why they generally won't accept the signature.

no they did not, she said if u cant pay cash i cant help ya. i told her it wasnt against law as i work in retail previously she said law changed in march (had my work jacket on dont work in retail as such any more). there was que forming behind me at this stage and was embarrased enough so asked for my card n left

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Name and Shame for the horrendous CS

MC

Advertisement