Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Gaeilge through manga :P

Options
  • 12-12-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi guys and gals xDD
    I'm Natália Danzmann, a Brazilian gaeilgeoir and a new user here...Brazil has a lot of Japanese influence so it's common to see someone drawing manga here but as far as I could find out manga is very well known in Ireland also ^_^
    This thread is about an old idea of mine, learning Gaeilge through manga. (Sure, my mangas ain't meant to only improve my Irish grammar or correct spelling, but to be funny and enjoyable. Is maith liom Gaeilge, as I'd say. That's all).
    Here's also my apologies for the bad quality. Firstly I'm not the world's best mangaka and secondly I'm having troubles to scan my work so I've taken pictures of them to post them here :P but I'm gonna write the dialogue again below each cúpla pages coz it might b a bit difficult to read^^
    do not forget it's read backwards, the same way as manga. Here are the 6 pages already written (they do need "colouring" w/screentones and the scenery still seem a bit rough but I'm gonna fix it when I have time. Oh, never mind the red annotations, they're where I intend to put additional screentones :P)

pg1qe9.jpg

--> le mo grá agus mo croí... (with all the love in my heart; or something similar. No lenition coz it's a girl who's speaking...at least I think so, but not sure)
    --> ...is leat mé agus is leam tú... (I'm yours and you're mine)
    --> ...go deireadh an domhain (til the end of the world)
    --> go cinnte (sure)
    --> it's much more romantic than French
    pg2
    --> hahah Carmina...
    --> u dont seem to b French!
    --> seo an fáth atá cónaí orm sa hÉire! duhh (that's why I live in Ireland! duhh)
    --> gabhaidh mo leithscéal, ladies (excuse-me, ladies)
    --> seo mo deis (this is my oportunity)
    --> I have to tell him...
    --> I have to...
    --> I have to...

pg2pm1.jpg

--> Ní fheidir liom caint!! ("I can't speak". It's meant to be "I'm not able to speak now" in the context)
    --> sorry for the delay...the pub is growing, we need to employ more waiters
    --> no worries...we are all having a craic here.
    --> an bhfuil tú ceart go leór? ("are you all right?" ie. are you feeling fine now?)
    --> Guinness??
    --> I'll have a pint
    --> me too
    --> a glass, thanks.
    pg 4
    --> that's craic, most surely!!!
    --> be caref...(aka "careful")
    *POW*
    --> OHH NOOO
    --> are you all right?
    --> ahahah táim go maith, thanks.
    --> oh my god, she's speaking Gaeilge! it may have affected her memory..
    --> I do speak Irish
    --> wow! really? that's deadly! ain't u a foreigner??? neither my brother Seán speaks it!!!
    --> Join the club, then

pg3eb4.jpg

--> cad chuige ar sin? ("why?", literally. I guess if I would say "why is that?" I'd scríobh like this: cad chuige atá é? but again I'm not sure)
    --> níl Gaeilge ag daoine as Baile Atha Cliath (Dublin ppl don't speak Irish)
    --> is go dté...(and until...)
    --> ...tú mo mhuirnín slán (you, my darling, be "slán" I just can't translate it literally, sorry. It's not meant to b "safe" coz it'd be strange in the context. I'd translate to Portuguese as "bem" or "feliz" hahah I do need 2 improve my English instead :P)
    --> siúil, siúil, siúil a rún (siúil = walk. Again the translation is metaphoric and I haven't found a proper one to English :P in Portuguese siúil a rún would b "siga amando", literally, something like "keep loving")
    --> tá tú i ngrá leis!!! (you luv him!!!, aka "I see that u love him")
    --> nílim!! (no, I don't!!)
    --> is díreach mo mhuarnín é!! (he's only my darling!! LOL)
    --> aham...tuigim (yeees, I know [ironic voice])
    --> are u talkin about the Jackeens, eh?
    --> ahahah tuigim duit! (ahahah I like you; aka "I sympathize with you")
    --> ach níl Bearla agamsa anseo (but I myself don't speak English here)
    --> suí siós (sit down)

ok, that's all.
    again, this manga is meant to b made for fun, so it doesen't have a proper "story" - it means I'm not gonna finish it so soon^^
    next week (hopefully) I'm gonna post the second part, with character's introduction (aka real names, nicknames, personality, tastes, why are they livin in Ireland, etc.) but basically there are 5 gals as the main characters (all of them speak Irish) till then: the japanese (Tsuyu Misaki; nickname bándearg); the French (Carmina); the German (Nadja; nickname: Éiriu) and the Irish gals Aoife (Seán's sister) and Wendy (the oldest)

as the manga grows, we can add more characters as well.
    I'd like to hear different opinions and ideas from whoever is interested, so it would become a community project, not only "mine".

ah, there's the title also...I've no idea (but it has to be in Irish)

thanks in advance for the attention ^_^
    have a nice weekend, hope u enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

To be honest, I think that was hands down fantastic. Start up a web comic of that and I would be serious follower! Hell if it became a community project I would hope it went along the lines of cyanide & happiness, i.e. several people and random stuff but a new comic daily ;)

I hope you keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

That is acually one of the coolest things I've ever saw involving the Irish language, hell if we had more people like you writing comics in Irish for kids it could make a huge difference to the dedication to learning it. Most Irish books for kids have, like many Irish schoolbooks, terrible artwork (Still not as bad as the creepy french stuff).
    Hope ya don't mind if I stick these up on my blog!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nice one. i encourage alot more of this. brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

That was like in Eirtakon how they subbed the first episode of death note in Irish.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The guy wrote: »
    That was like in Eirtakon how they subbed the first episode of death note in Irish.

what what what!? dang!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

An-mhaith! Very nice work, I think you should go somewhere with this. A webcomic would be a fantastic start, I'd certainly tell others about it. :D
    You also have en excellent grasp of Gaeilge!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Irlandesaaa

Thomas-G wrote: »
    That is acually one of the coolest things I've ever saw involving the Irish language, hell if we had more people like you writing comics in Irish for kids it could make a huge difference to the dedication to learning it. Most Irish books for kids have, like many Irish schoolbooks, terrible artwork (Still not as bad as the creepy french stuff).
    Hope ya don't mind if I stick these up on my blog!

awww and that was the nicest comment about a manga of mine, ever!! :D

yeahhh, go punk dude!! let's begin a completely out-fashion manga (aka as Gaeilge) and help the Irish children!!!! :cool:<-- ok, that was random...

is cuma liom :p

but creepy artwork at grammars and similar yoke is normal. Seriously. The Brazilian Portuguese ones are equally desperate I bet. The problem is ppl haven't figured out children (and adults and teens, why not) learn best by laughing and talkin ****e so they need interesting manga stories, that's why humankind doesen't need lessons 2 learn slangs, no matter in which language (such as...MISEEEE!!!! :P)

hauhauahuahauh ok I have 2 admit this theory was crazy...but works^^ oh btw nice idea for a character...crazy theories about everything...that's it, thanks for the idea!! :D

oh, and finally, sure, do it!! I'd b pleased!! stick them up on ya blog (which blog btw?? I wanna see it *.*) better yet, I'd b delighted!! the more well-known, the better! so everybody who's interested on the craic can join in xDD

i'd like to stick it up on a few places too if you dont mind :)

Saruwatari wrote: »
    An-mhaith! Very nice work, I think you should go somewhere with this. A webcomic would be a fantastic start, I'd certainly tell others about it. :D

thank you, thank you and thank you again^^
    yep I'm thinkin about it...but u know...the more well-known, the better. I'm thinkin of uploading to deviantart when it's "finished" (ok, the secret is that it's never finished, so I'm putting it there when I finish the introduction and then I keep going ^^) what d'ya think???

BUT the manga itself I'm writing and checking possible mistakes here :) anybody who wanna help w/ideas and opinions, welcome to!
    You also have en excellent grasp of Gaeilge!

ahhh... go raibh míle maith agat for that!! :rolleyes:

i'd like to stick it up on a few places too if you dont mind :)

of course not!!! work away, dude!! put it everywhere!!! heheheh :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

That is a great idea. Your Irish is very good. It is great to see people taking an interest in Irish though Manga, anime or other cultural forms. I thought showing the Death Note in Irish for Eirtakon was a wonderful idea, I think we hope to have an Irish showing at Eirtakon every year.

I hope you go further with this, keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Mighty ****, that anime is excellent and you have better Irish than me, even though it appears to be your third or forth language. /shamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

The guy wrote: »

Yea, that was an interesting Project. I did the Translation and Hybridchild did all the Typesetting, Editing, Encoding........yea i'm not a Fansubber myself...yet, though I am currently learning how to Time. I didn't actualy get to see it screened at Eirtakon cause I had to leave to get changed for the Pub Quiz after working on setting stuff up for the Con All day, was it received well or did everyone just leave when they realised it was Irish?

Anyways, Irlandesaaa, I love the manga, it's great to see more people taking an active interest in promoting the Irish language. It's actualy very akin to our own dedicated Irish Channel Tg4 (TnaG), they speak Irish for the most part put interlace English sentences throughout, at least they did the last time i watched it...but that could've been a while ago...I don't watch TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

awww and that was the nicest comment about a manga of mine, ever!! :D

yeahhh, go punk dude!! let's begin a completely out-fashion manga (aka as Gaeilge) and help the Irish children!!!! :cool:<-- ok, that was random...

is cuma liom :p

but creepy artwork at grammars and similar yoke is normal. Seriously. The Brazilian Portuguese ones are equally desperate I bet. The problem is ppl haven't figured out children (and adults and teens, why not) learn best by laughing and talkin ****e so they need interesting manga stories, that's why humankind doesen't need lessons 2 learn slangs, no matter in which language (such as...MISEEEE!!!! :P)

hauhauahuahauh ok I have 2 admit this theory was crazy...but works^^ oh btw nice idea for a character...crazy theories about everything...that's it, thanks for the idea!! :D

oh, and finally, sure, do it!! I'd b pleased!! stick them up on ya blog (which blog btw?? I wanna see it *.*) better yet, I'd b delighted!! the more well-known, the better! so everybody who's interested on the craic can join in xDD
    http://thomasgeraghty.wordpress.com/
    Just posted a page and linked here, for your renown:)
    thank you, thank you and thank you again^^
    yep I'm thinkin about it...but u know...the more well-known, the better. I'm thinkin of uploading to deviantart when it's "finished" (ok, the secret is that it's never finished, so I'm putting it there when I finish the introduction and then I keep going ^^) what d'ya think???

BUT the manga itself I'm writing and checking possible mistakes here :) anybody who wanna help w/ideas and opinions, welcome to!

ahhh... go raibh míle maith agat for that!! :rolleyes:
    Ya Definitely should! I'm Gilgameish over there!

Mighty ****, that anime is excellent and you have better Irish than me, even though it appears to be your third or forth language. /shamed.

hahahah yer guys make me laugh so hard xDD no way, I hardly speak 3 languages (Brazilian; Irish; English) and Irish is my second anyways :P

That is a great idea. Your Irish is very good. It is great to see people taking an interest in Irish though Manga, anime or other cultural forms. I thought showing the Death Note in Irish for Eirtakon was a wonderful idea, I think we hope to have an Irish showing at Eirtakon every year.

I hope you go further with this, keep up the good work!

where is Death Note as Gaeilge??? *.* is it somewhere online?? I'd luv 2 see it!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Thomas-G wrote: »
    http://thomasgeraghty.wordpress.com/
    Just posted a page and linked here, for your renown:)

Ya Definitely should! I'm Gilgameish over there!

Go raibh míle maith agat, mo cara!!! actually I've no words to thank u properly...

sure, I will. But I still have 2 work away on the manga (I'm drawing pgs 7 and 8 right now) for there to b enough pgs to read...I'm going out on holidays for new year but I'll b back soon^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

thats animal!
    you deserve a pat on the back :)
    *pats back*
    good job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Check this out; Irlandesaaa gets a mention over at the Mangablog!
    http://www.mangablog.net/?p=3042

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Check this out; Irlandesaaa gets a mention over at the Mangablog!
    http://www.mangablog.net/?p=3042

Sure, the name of our language is "Gaelic" (which is the same thing spoken in Scotland). Why do people keep doing that? :mad:

• Advertisement

OMG guys, thankss ALOT for all the encouragement, really!!! I'm gonna certainly keep workin away on the manga^^ I've got right here 6 pgs almost ready but I'm too hurry w/Christmas to post them now...perhaps they'll b available this weekend :)

Nollaig shona dhaoibh!! tá súil agam go bhfuil mé sa bhaile arís amáireach :D

First of all, Merry Christmas from Brazil to ya, have u all an amazing new year and go raibh míle maith agaibh for all the kind comments of yours!!! :D
    I wanna see Gaeilgeoirí eile here as well!!!! or if u speak "Gaelish" like mise ya welcome freisin LOL

so...let's go on with the story. Here are more 6 pgs, I hope u enjoy, and also if there's any English or Irish mistake just let me know^^ there's translation below them, as always.

pg0708eb0.jpg

pgs. 07-08

--> cad is ainm duit? (ok, everybody knows it means "what's your name" xDD)
    --> a...Aoife
    --> Aoife O'Donoghue, táim as Clair ("I'm from Clare"; any similarity w/real ppl's names is all about coincidence^^)
    --> is mise an aonair Gaeilgeoir anseo (I'm the only Irish speaker here)
    --> shíl mé go bhfuil, ar aon nós... (I thought I was, anyways)
    --> are u kinda Gaeilge conversational group?
    "céard a ciallaigh tú...?" (what d'ya mean?)
    --> cad é seo?! (what?!)
    AHAHAH
    --> Faoi mar a bhfuil muid ag staidéar le chéile? (as if we were studying together?)
    --> tá pionta eile uaim (I need another pint)
    ¬¬
    --> oir...shíl mé...(well...I thought...; actually "oir" means "because", but not in the context ^^)
    --> is it that strange to see daoine using Gaeilge anseo? (is it that strange to see ppl using the Irish language here? this is one of my favourite sayings from the manga coz she's not speaking Gaeilge nor English, but both. From now on the manga's gonna slip into veeeery informal conversation, so it becomes an actual manga yes?)
    --> let's say...it's not something we see everyday...but that's ok.

pg0910gs0.jpg

pgs. 09-10

--> féach ar seo! (look at this! I actually meant to scríobh "look what I found" but I don't wanna take it difficult to understand in the beginning)
    OHHH
    --> Spéisiúil! (interesting! NOT "special" xDD)
    --> Níl ro-spéisiúil ag titim go ceann agat, mo cara ¬¬ (not too interesting hitting your head, my friend; literally "falling upon your head")
    --> an osclóidh mé é? (shall I open?)
    --> náááá...tá sé cearr!! (no, that's wrong!! again, talking slang: the actual translation would be "ná déan é" = don't do it, but "ná" is easier to speak, so I'd call it a slang)
    ¬¬
    --> déan é! (let's do it!)
    --> tá a lán Gaeilgeoirí sa Chlair (there are lots of Irish speakers in Clare)
    --> dárire? (really? ; I like Tsuyu saying it. Its pronunciation seems a bit Japanese, nach bhfuil?)
    --> oOoOPS
    --> OH MY GOD AOIFE!!!
    --> an bhfuil seo agatsa?? (is it yours?? w/emphasis on "YOURS")
    --> wow, tá meas mór agam ort!!! (wow, I admire you!!!)
    --> tá bróga ann freisin (there are shoes inside, also)
    --> céard sa diabhal atá ar bun agat? (what the hell are u doing?!)
    --> de...de thaisme?? (a...accidentally??)
    --> Ohh...is dóigh liom atá seo go halainn! is liomsa gorm (ohh...I think this is gorgeous! my one is blue)
    --> is breá liom rince Éireannach, ach... (I love Irish dance, but...)
    --> níl go leór daoine rinceoir sa tSeapáin (there aren't many dancers in Japan; lit.: there ain't enough dancers)
    --> Is ámhrach mé ar fad a casadh orm tú!!! (I'm sooo lucky for meeting you!!! I'm not sure if the Irish is correct here; it took me a few minutes of research to b honest xDD)

pg1112um5.jpg

pgs 11-12

--> WOW...
    --> I have to say I'm fierce impressed with ya' knowledge of Gaeilge
    --> an bhfeidir leat caint nios moille? (could u speak more slowly?)
    --> er...is ámhrach mé... (er...I'm lucky...)
    AHAHAH
    --> I was just kidding! aka "dún do béal" (aka "shut up")
    --> Is Seapánach tú, nach bhfuil? (you're Japanese, no?)
    --> Is ea. Tá an ceart agat (yes. You're right)
    --> Is mise Tsuyu Misaki, táim as Hokkaido, sa tSeapáin (I'm Tsuyu Misaki, I'm from Hokkaido, in Japan)
    --> Is féidir leat glaoch orm "Bándearg", sé mo leasainm (u can call me "Bándearg", that's my nickname)
    --> agus...is rinceoir mise freisin (and...I'm another dancer ; lit.: as well as you)
    --> an fáth céanna is Gaeilgeoir mé agus tá cónaí orm sa Cathair seo (for the same reason I'm an Irish speaker and I live in this city)
    --> agus seo Carmina!!! (and this is Carmina!!!)
    --> er...haigh! (er...hi!)

that's it for now. I do have the page 13 w/me (which has Carmina's introduction, fierce funny) but I still have to finish it and begin drawin pg 14 and ahead...so I thought I'd delay too much if I were to finish and post all of them here, so you'll have to wait :P
    anyways I hope u enjoy these ones above.

and again PLEASE, for god's sake, if there's any Gaeilge speaker out there reading this I'd like to know if the manga has spelling mistakes or not, that's important for me to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slán go fóill agus Nollaig Shona dhaoibh arís!! xDD
    -->

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

Quality! We should all be ashamed that this idea wasn't considered before.

I'm one of those who would believe that proper dubbed Anime shown latenight on TG4 would help a lot of us learn Irish. I would love to watch GITS in Irish just to see how it could be done. Super complex..but with subtitles, it would suit it.

I enjoy South Park as Gaeilge, also.

hands up who would watch a dubbed anime on tg4

/raise hand

*I raise my hand as well* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Ar feabhas!

Níl suim agam i Manga, ach is breá liom daoine a fheiceáil ag spreagadh na teanga!

I'll switch to English now, since this is an English speaking forum.
    First of all, Merry Christmas from Brazil to ya, have u all an amazing new year and go raibh míle maith agaibh for all the kind comments of yours!!! :D
    I wanna see Gaeilgeoirí eile here as well!!!! or if u speak "Gaelish" like mise ya welcome freisin LOL
    Are you aware of Teach na nGealt? It's a subforum of After Hours dedicated to informal discussion of topics as Gaeilge and Irish speakers of all ability levels are welcome. Most Gaeilgeoirí on this site use it (I haven't been on in a while, should post there more).

I don't think there's been a link to this topic posted there yet, so I'll do that now :)
    and again PLEASE, for god's sake, if there's any Gaeilge speaker out there reading this I'd like to know if the manga has spelling mistakes or not, that's important for me to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll give them a more thorough read through later. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about spelling, grammar or translations.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

To be honest I hate to see most things dubbed. I believe so much of a story is lost in translation.
    Did anyone see the dub of gurren lagann? That was really awful, Kamina's over the top speeches were all messed up, and what was with his voice?
    If the manga is written in Irish to begin with, I have no problem with it, but then again manga is a Japanese word, maybe they should have a unique name for the Irish alternative.
    Well that's my 2 cents.

btw, I still can't read Japanese fluently, so I may have been a little hypocritical. I always need the dictionary :(

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Hope these corrections / suggestions help. Please be aware that even though I consider I have reasonable Irish, I do make mistakes.

--> le mo grá agus mo croí... (with all the love in my heart; or something similar. No lenition coz it's a girl who's speaking...at least I think so, but not sure)

le mo ghrá agus le mo chroí ( 'mo' always lenites - but lena croí = with her heart)

--> ...is leat mé agus is leam tú...

Is leatsa mise agus is liomsa tusa (I think the emphatic form is best but I cannot explain why)

(I'm yours and you're mine)

--> go cinnte (sure)

Cinnte (Normally 'cinnte' is used on its own)

--> seo an fáth atá cónaí orm sa hÉire! duhh (that's why I live in Ireland! duhh)

Sin é an fáth go bhfuil cónaí orm in Éirinn

Gabhaigí mo leithscéal

seo í mo dheis

Ní fheidir liom caint

Ní féidir liom caint

--> cad chuige ar sin? ("why?", literally. I guess if I would say "why is that?" I'd scríobh like this: cad chuige atá é? but again I'm not sure)

Cén fáth ( 'cad chuige ar sin' is not correct, but I can't explain why)

Níl Gaeilge ag muintir Bhláth Cliath (I think the abbreviated version is better for the sake of brevity)

Is go dté tú mo mhuirnín slán = May you go safely

Níl ann ach gurbh é mo mhuirnín é (not sure of my own translation - must be a better way of phrasing it.)

--> suí siós (sit down)

suigh síos

Míshásta wrote: »
    Hope these corrections / suggestions help. Please be aware that even though I consider I have reasonable Irish, I do make mistakes.

le mo ghrá agus le mo chroí ( 'mo' always lenites - but lena croí = with her heart)

--> ...is leat mé agus is leam tú...

Is leatsa mise agus is liomsa tusa (I think the emphatic form is best but I cannot explain why)

(I'm yours and you're mine)

--> go cinnte (sure)

Cinnte (Normally 'cinnte' is used on its own)

Sin é an fáth go bhfuil cónaí orm in Éirinn

Gabhaigí mo leithscéal

seo í mo dheis

Ní fheidir liom caint

Ní féidir liom caint

Cén fáth ( 'cad chuige ar sin' is not correct, but I can't explain why)

Níl Gaeilge ag muintir Bhláth Cliath (I think the abbreviated version is better for the sake of brevity)

Is go dté tú mo mhuirnín slán = May you go safely

Níl ann ach gurbh é mo mhuirnín é (not sure of my own translation - must be a better way of phrasing it.)

--> suí siós (sit down)

suigh síos

ohh thankss a lot, finally the manga's goin somewhere!! I must correct any mistake b4 uploadin to deviantart anyways :D it's not the easiest thing in the world finding help w/Irish grammar in Brazil, so I do need a little help here ^^ I'm like "I understand but I still don't speak very well" xDD

--> thankss for the "cén fáth"...I knew that but I just couldn't remember :P

"suigh siós"?? ya sure?? where ya from? xDD I've never heard it before but I'll take the suggestion anyways :D

• Advertisement

Drakmord wrote: »
    but then again manga is a Japanese word, maybe they should have a unique name for the Irish alternative.

hahahahah OMG I created a new kind of comic then? am I to become world famous?? hauhauhauhauhauah kiddin'ya :D

Advertisement