Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Switch boxes be earthed.

• 13-12-2008 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I can't remember the exact regulations at the time. My house is about 12 years old, It would have been wired in 1996. I went to install a metal dimmer during the week and I noticed there was no earth wire available in the switch box. they are plastic boxes with plastic conduit.

Was there any requirement at the time to earth the switch boxes or provide an earth wire for future use.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Was there any requirement at the time to earth the switch boxes or provide an earth wire for future use.
    There is now and I dont think there was then. Even if there was there is little you could do about it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I don't think there was at the time, earthing on domestic lighting circuits was never really an issue before dimmers and fluorescents became more popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Thanks,

The light fittings (Rose) are earthed it is just the switches that are not.

Thanks

Advertisement