Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jameson 12 and 18 year old.

Options
  • 13-12-2008 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Got me a bottle of 12yo the other day, its quite nice. Just wondering what the difference is between that and the 18? Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Got me a bottle of 12yo the other day, its quite nice. Just wondering what the difference is between that and the 18? Thoughts?

I think the Jameson range are overpriced to be honest. I'd love to try the 18 year old, but I don't think it is €100 worth of whiskey. As for the vintage reserve, €400 sounds crazy to be honest.

Other whiskies, of a similar price to the Jameson 12 year old are Redbreast 12 year old (my favourite whiskey), Greenspot & bushmills 10 year old. Each of these whiskies are far superior IMO to the Jameson 12yo, and that makes me very unwilling to splash out €100 on the 18 year old.

If you want to try it, ask in celtic whiskey shop, or else go to that pub in Temple Bar (The VAT house) which does whiskey tastings

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

The 18 year old is very nice, but as mentioned, it's not worth 100 euro. It is nicer than the Midleton Very Rare, though, in my opinion.

For 120 euro, you could get a bottle of Redbreast 15, which is excellent.

The Rarest Vintage Reserve is one of the nicest whiskeys I've tasted, but it's a crazy price. I believe they were originally going to sell it for 150 euro...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Brockagh wrote: »
    The 18 year old is very nice, but as mentioned, it's not worth 100 euro. It is nicer than the Midleton Very Rare, though, in my opinion.

Midleton is very nice, but I suspect it's high price is due more to it's collectable status and appeal to the US market rather than to quality.
    For 120 euro, you could get a bottle of Redbreast 15, which is excellent.

It used to be 90. I don't think Redbreast 15 is 3x the whiskey that Redbreast 12 is.
    The Rarest Vintage Reserve is one of the nicest whiskeys I've tasted, but it's a crazy price. I believe they were originally going to sell it for 150 euro...

It's something I'd love to try, but €400 a bottle is ridiculous.

I'm beginning to think that the best whiskies are all around the 30-60 range, and that all the ultra high price whiskies are overpriced.

Greenspot, Redbreast, Crested 10 & Bushmills 10 y.o are as good whiskies as you will find.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Midleton is very nice, but I suspect it's high price is due more to it's collectable status and appeal to the US market rather than to quality.

It used to be 90. I don't think Redbreast 15 is 3x the whiskey that Redbreast 12 is.

It's something I'd love to try, but €400 a bottle is ridiculous.

I'm beginning to think that the best whiskies are all around the 30-60 range, and that all the ultra high price whiskies are overpriced.

Greenspot, Redbreast, Crested 10 & Bushmills 10 y.o are as good whiskies as you will find.

The Redbreast 15 was 55 euro in Germany and France. They are completely ripping us off over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have always found the pricing to be odd on "high end spirits", after taking duty & VAT into account there always seems to be huge differences.

• Advertisement
Advertisement