Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with the short evenings?

Options
  • 13-12-2008 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

It's getting dark at 8pm in Sydney at the moment, is this going to get later through the summer? Is it the same in the rest of Aus/NZ?

Back home has miserable weather but at least you can sit out with a drink until well after ten throughout the summer if its dry.

After that storm yesterday, I'm starting to think that this Sydney weather is a tad overrated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

The closer you are to the equator the shorter the evenings are (I think). So Sydney will get darker quicker than Ireland. On the flip side it will stay brighter for longer on the winter evenings, while in Ireland it will get dark at 4:00pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭88show

It's getting dark at 8pm in Sydney at the moment, is this going to get later through the summer? Is it the same in the rest of Aus/NZ?

Back home has miserable weather but at least you can sit out with a drink until well after ten throughout the summer if its dry.

After that storm yesterday, I'm starting to think that this Sydney weather is a tad overrated.

be patient obiwan,
    the sun will come and the beer will flow
    soon you will forget the shorter days
    in nz south island the days are a bit longer will be dark around 9 30 10ish i'd say by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The summer weather has been declining in quality for a few years now, according to a few I spoke to. Best to get in there before it ends up like here.

Weather is certainly overrated, the weather in my month was pretty much like when we used to get a decent summer- a few scorchers, mainly warm and maybe 20% overcast or rainy.

Anyone know what time it gets dark in Darwin in winter? Im chasing the weather essentially (tbh if Ireland had decent summers and a low cost of living Im not sure Id be arsed about going abroad), Sydney is a depressing place on its bad days and I am told that, although its a bit nippy at night, generally Darwin is guaranteed sunny 25C plus days even in their winter. Question being, exactly when does aytime end up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Weather aint over rated in Brizzy thats for sure, just completed my 1st year here and no more than 2 or 3 days in a row has weather ever not been "satisfactory". It only gets "cold" for a month in July / Aug
    ( its only "cold" once you have acclimatised to a preceding summer )

Winters are dry stable and mid to high 20s by day and are just the most perfect times, as nights are cold - duvet weather and days are not stifling.

The summers on the other hand are awesome. We are getting hot hot hot 30 + days scorching sun perfect beach weather and then almost 5 pm on the dot a massive storm rolls in chucks more rain than even a Donegal man has ever seen - in an hour! smashes a few trees and destroys a few neighbiurhoods built from timber and tin, then slips away to leave a nicely cooled down evening with a beautiful day to follow, its quite awesome to watch so regularly.

Th thing about the short evening ....

Just get up earlier ! Sun rise is 4.30 here !! Get off the beer, get out of bed and enjoy the outdoors as is the whole reason to come here in my books :)

If the early sun sets bother you tha much dont come to Qld we dont have day light savings here so sun set is an hour earlier than Sydney although we are technically in the same tiome zone!

Advertisement