Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Christmas

• 13-12-2008 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi, I'm caternig for 10 adults and 4 children this Christmas, but thank the Lord I only have to do the spuds and veg.

Any ideas on what quantities I'm looking at as I have never done this before? Gonna be doing the usual: roast spuds, mashed spuds, brussels, carrots, roast parsnips etc...

Any ideas and tips greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I see some people getting quanities bizarrely wrong at some parties. I remember going to one with cocktails, they knew the amount coming and it looked like about 2 litres of fruit juice per person!

I would not expect a normal person to eat over 600g of food for the main dinner. Most microwave meals are ~400g, but you eat more at christmas, but you probably have starters & deserts.

A normal chicken fillet is around 150g of meat. So say 200g turkey each max, but you must account for bones in the weight. I am not sure what yeild you get off a full turkey. On chicken I got about 40% per weight see here http://www-srv-4.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055264686
    I expect a turkey might be more.

I hate seeing food go to waste, and most cook too much at xmas. You could keep some fresh uncooked croquet potatoes in the fridge, these cook fast enough, and you can keep the oven on and if it looks like you are running out then pop them in. Same with mash, you could boil potatoes the day before and store them cold in the fridge, and only take them out if needed. Baby carrots in jars are already cooked and just need quick reheating.

Advertisement