Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October

Options
  • 13-12-2008 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

On the basis that Lisbon 2 is next October, can we take a rest from Lisbon threads, please?

We can all return in 7 months as insane and intransigent as we leave it now.

Just a thought.

Goodbye from Dresden anyway, it's been fun, even if I didn't answer all of OB's questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

dresden8 wrote: »
    On the basis that Lisbon 2 is next October, can we take a rest from Lisbon threads, please?

Just a thought.

Goodbye from Dresden anyway, it's been fun, even if I didn't answer all of OB's questions.

Au revoir!

On the question, though - no, I'd prefer to have nine months of relatively calm consideration than forget all about the Treaty for seven months and then have two months of hysteria.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Too important that it passes to toss it by the wayside for such an extended period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

dresden8 wrote: »

Just a thought.

Very much agreed, there's only so much of the same rhetoric one can take. One of my new years resolutions is to try and stop arguing with people who's opinions aren't going to change no matter what you say. The hair splitting & repitition get too much. I've decided to spend more time over on the poker boards and make some more money out of a passing hobby. Don't worry about not answering ob's questions, even when you do answer them he claims you haven't or accuses you of backtracking or evading - yadda, yadda, yadda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

As people keep saying its too complex to understand, maybe this will be enough time for everyone to understand it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

brim4brim wrote: »
    As people keep saying its too complex to understand, maybe this will be enough time for everyone to understand it :D

That's assuming those gobsheens in Government actually bother their backsides to inform people about it. Time will tell.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Very much agreed, there's only so much of the same rhetoric one can take. One of my new years resolutions is to try and stop arguing with people who's opinions aren't going to change no matter what you say. The hair splitting & repitition get too much. I've decided to spend more time over on the poker boards and make some more money out of a passing hobby.
    In other words, you're going to shut your eyes tightly, stick your fingers in your ears and then, come October 2009, vote 'No' again whilst claiming "Lisbon is bad for Ireland - I've yet to see anyone demonstrate otherwise"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Irish treatment of EU politics in a nutshell...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Heaven forfend we should consider this apparently world-changing treaty at leisure. Far better, surely, to spend a minimum of time on soundbite campaigns instead!

not really,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

djpbarry wrote: »
    In other words, you're going to shut your eyes tightly, stick your fingers in your ears and then, come October 2009, vote 'No' again whilst claiming "Lisbon is bad for Ireland - I've yet to see anyone demonstrate otherwise"?

You've come up with some classics on this board but how you read that into my post is reason enough for a break from the EU forum, now where's my poker theory book gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

how you read that into my post is reason enough for a break from the EU forum,

Honestly its a valid way of reading the post.

One of the biggest flaws of the first lisbon referendum is that EU politics are ignored by the electorate until a referendum appears and then there is a sort of mad panic of activity.

Lisbon was not an issue a year before hand at a general election, the european election turn outs are very low and the issue with the commissioner has shown that a large number of voters dont understand how the EU actually works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

brim4brim wrote: »

Indeed, yet when it's pointed out to No voters that this was one of the major objections to Lisbon, No voters take great offence and say "we are calling them stupid" ???????

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement