Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network Error

• 13-12-2008 3:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

erroreh2.jpg

I get this anytime I try to look at my workgroup computers

Now, there is only one profile on my machine, spec in signature, and I'm getting this error.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Can you fill in some details....

OS

How that computer and the rest of the computers on the network get their IP address

The current IP address of that computer from an IPCONFIG /ALL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ttm wrote: »
    Can you fill in some details....

OS

How that computer and the rest of the computers on the network get their IP address

The current IP address of that computer from an IPCONFIG /ALL

From my signature you can see the OS as stated, XP Media Centre Edition SP3

I suppose they are automatically assigned from the Network Wizard, which is set to connect to the internet via a residential gateway and so is the other PC

IP Address: 192.168.1.4

Even with the other PC on the network off, it gives me this error.

If any more info is required, please ask!

Thanks in advance

Dempsey wrote: »
    From my signature you can see the OS as stated, XP Media Centre Edition SP3

Nope - never seen a signature on this forum and if I could I'd look for the option to switch them off. May be I should have a sig that says I can't read you signature :o

Anyway first thing I would take a look at is running the sharing wizard. Just make a new folder on the C: drive and share it (rt click properties sharing).

If your really stuck I have a XP Media Center System so I can try and duplicate the issue.

Yea, I forgot to have stuff sharing but now onto the next problem :pac:

PC1 - Can see MSHOME workgroup, can see itself and PC2 but cant access PC2

PC2 - Cannot access workgroup MSHOME

Error:

77421050do5.png

Both PC's are connected via the router and both can use the internet

Both Machines are running XP Media Centre SP3

FYI

The 1st post was referring to PC1 but I followed you advice and thats now not the problem. PC2 is just been formatted and clean install of the OS.

Don't worry about forgetting the sharing stuff I've seen it cost customers 100's of euro when a qualified network engineer forgets it ;)

Your new error is a bit strange as I've never seen an error msg that says the connection limit has been reached normally you just can't connect once the limit of 10 connections has been reached - doubt you have ten connections to one PC in a 2 PC setup?

Must try that and see what happens.....

but if that is the real reason for the problem rebooting both machines will fix it.

I'd never even bother browsing for PC's on a network on a small network go straight for the share you want so on PC2 if you type [URL="file://\\PC1"]\\PC1[/URL] at the run command do you see the share (if there is one) on PC1?

• Advertisement

Tried making multiple connection from an XP Pro box to a Windows Media Centre Box and gave up as unless I got very clever Windows just went back to the existing connection and woudn't notch up a new one.

If you get that msg again go to the server machine (one you are trying to connect to) and take a look at My Computer> rt click> manage > sessions and see if there really are 10 connections to the system and where they are comming from?

Edit> Expletive!!!! Forgot to ask the obvious! Can you ping PC1 from PC2 and vice versa using the hostname?

I dont understand this error either

There are no sessions running, I checked and I've rebooted a few times

Is there anything else that could be done.

I'm using onboard lans, hardly an issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Start/Run/services.msc

Make sure the 'computer browser' service is set to Automatic and is running (Right-click & restart if needed)

The_Edge wrote: »
    Start/Run/services.msc

Make sure the 'computer browser' service is set to Automatic and is running (Right-click & restart if needed)

Good advice but if it isn't running all it means is you can't browse for network shares and why would you need to bother in a two PC network?

[URL="file://\\PC1"]\\PC1[/URL] on PC2 will work if the browser service is not running (just tried it to be 100% sure).

Dempsey wrote: »
    I dont understand this error either

There are no sessions running, I checked and I've rebooted a few times

Is there anything else that could be done.

I'm using onboard lans, hardly an issue?

One of the std things I always try is connecting to the IP address of the PC that has something shared as in [URL="file://\\192.168.x.x"]\\192.168.x.x[/URL]

Then you need to check that the share is shared and eveyone has full control of the share (just for trouble shooting).

And then I suppose you need to check that file and print sharing is allowed on the firewall of both machines.

Edit>>>>> One of my favorite tricks when network connections arn't working as they should is to unistall the network adaptor in Device manager then allow device manager to find it again and reinstall, I've dumbfounded a few people with that simple trick after they and other "experts" have tried everything else they can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

there may be an easier answer to this - did you re-run the "Set up a home or small office network" wizard and enable file sharing?

Setup.GIF

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Have you checked you user permsions on both machines?

Advertisement