Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not impressed by Leixlip

Options
  • 13-12-2008 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I started working in Leixlip in August and i was told it was a great village with lots of great pubs and lots do but every pub has been dead since we moved out and cant think of anything interesting out there. The only good thing about Leixlip is the Football pitches near Louisa Bridge.
    Does anybody else find Leixlip the same and has anybody ideas on good places in Leixlip that i might have missed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Zatman wrote: »
    I started working in Leixlip in August and i was told it was a great village with lots of great pubs and lots do but every pub has been dead since we moved out and cant think of anything interesting out there. The only good thing about Leixlip is the Football pitches near Louisa Bridge.
    Does anybody else find Leixlip the same and has anybody ideas on good places in Leixlip that i might have missed
    The parts in Bold are true, the parts in red are false :D
    Nope you haven't missed anything Leixlip is just pubs pubs and more pubs.
    P.s Welcome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Its a satelite town, a small town. What do you really expect. If its a younger crowd your looking for, then Maynooth might be a bit more suited to your tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bunnyfox7

I moved to Leixlip in March because of work - knew what to expect from my initial house search up here! It really is just a small town, but Maynooth is close by - and if you really dislike it then move into Dublin & commute from there! I guess I'm lucky since I did move up here with friends :) But yes...a very dead town indeed! Make the most of it though or it'll end up getting you down...badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I'm 21 now and grew up in Leixlip.

Just curious, in a town of Leixlip's size, what sort of facilities etc do you want / expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I've also grown up in Leixlip. I'm 24. Outside of football clubs, Gaa clubs etc there isn't a whole lot to do but i'm also curious to as what you're looking for from the town?

There's a par three inside leixlip, you could try that. Or plenty of nice courses within a few miles. Liffey valley is down the road, cinemas are there and kinda decent shopping. There's tennis courts and a small gym in the same place as those astro pitches you spoke of.

And which pubs do you visit that are dead? I'm assuming you're youngish, in which case i'd try the Court yard on a saturday, live music and its always packed with people. I'm pretty sure theres live music all week in there. You won't get much of a young crowd out during the week, but like sugested you could try Maynooth (college students and all that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the reason leixlip has practically nothing is because we are so close to dublin.30 mins on the train.liffey valley is up the road,blanch is within striking distance.the courtyard is the only half decent pub but tbh most people i know anyways head into town at the weekend.i certainly spend every weekend in town.leixlip has a bigger population than many towns down the country that have a lot more to offer in terms of shops,going out etc but like i said the reason we dont is failry simple-DUBLIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

There's the cycle/running track up in Carton House, tag rugby in June and July up in Barnhall, knitting classes in Colaiste Chiarain of a Wednesday night... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Salmon Leap Canoe Club, Barnhall Rugby Club, All weather soccer pitches and golf driving range close by in Celbridge. Many active volunteer groups or other groups that you can join. All depends on what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 grainne whale

What about the numerous night classes that Colaiste Chiarain offer, also tennis at the Amenities Centre. There's plenty happening in Leixlip, or maybe its clubs and pubs you want!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Just give in and go to the hÓzone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Zatman wrote: »

To be honest, Leixlips not impressed by YOU Zatman!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

so the feeling is mutual :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 proudtobeirish

There is so much wrong with Leixlip. It has little activities and an even more limited night time scene. I have lived here for 10 years and it seems year by year it deteriorates a little more. It is simply a s**t hole. Some may view these comments as a little harsh and may say that it is only a satellite town and its population should make its way into Dublin City centre, we can and often do, but that fact simply does not change this one "Leixlip offers little and its citizens don't seem to be happy here" (exhibit A: the above comments by Zatman). I have but one last statement which may explain its lifelessness, so to speak, because of its geographical location in at the centre of the town (louisa bridge) there lies the "Rye River Valley" this uneven height of land around the town splits the town into two parishes "Leixlip" and "Confey" this may explain the scarcity and spread out services, which means many cannot travel to specific services in the town, owing indeed to the need for the town of Leixlip to have two separate train stations.
    This hypothesis however is only my personal attempt to justify the town of Leixlip's lack of services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

did thay ever sort that horrible smell out? I lived there for a year or 2. The sewage smell would make a man sick after his dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You have two options: get the f**k out :P or tell us what you enjoy doing, and we can help you out, be it fishing, canoeing, football, golf, snooker, pool, etc.
    gsxr1 wrote: »
    did thay ever sort that horrible smell out? I lived there for a year or 2. The sewage smell would make a man sick after his dinner.
    Yup. But it's still there a bit during the very hot summer months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Who told you it was a great place with great pubs and lots to do?

They lied :D

Ah no, Leixlip is alright. Some nice restaurants there. Pack your bags and move over to Maynooth if you want more life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that there was a cycle/running track in Carton-how do you get to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that there was a cycle/running track in Carton-how do you get to it?

Go in either gate and park up near the hotel.

Map:
    http://www.cartonhouse.com/upload/docs/Carton-Walking-Trails.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Just give in and go to the hÓzone.

its ZINC now!!! night life really isnt great but the court yard is a good night out!!! grab a train or bus to maynooth and theres loads of places to try!!!

i just depends on your taste...sadly the last few times i was out it was to zinc...and to beat the queues i am indeed a member... embarrassing i know!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

its ZINC now!!! night life really isnt great but the court yard is a good night out!!! grab a train or bus to maynooth and theres loads of places to try!!!

QUOTE]

ah the War-zone....(was it not called rockafellas once) me old. regarding the pubs the courtyard while not a great pub isn't a bad spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    a cycle/running track in Carton-how do you get to it?

If its running you are interesed in,there is a 400m grass track behind the Leixlip Amenities Centre - Le chéile Athletic Club have just started an adult Meet & Train group there on wednesdays at 8pm - caters for all abilites - www.lecheileac.com if you want more info ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

lecheile wrote: »
    If its running you are interesed in,there is a 400m grass track behind the Leixlip Amenities Centre - Le chéile Athletic Club have just started an adult Meet & Train group there on wednesdays at 8pm - caters for all abilites - www.lecheileac.com if you want more info ;)

Is that LeCheile club a descendent of the old Leixlip Athlethic Club?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

gatecrash wrote: »
    Is that LeCheile club a descendent of the old Leixlip Athlethic Club?

Yes gatecrash. Leixlip Athletic Club merged with Le Cheile a few years ago. Up until recently a junior club but loads of local interest in recently started adult sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 zonic.

Love Leixlip, one of my favorite towns :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

zonic. wrote: »
    Love Leixlip, one of my favorite towns :)

get out....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MTT

I have lived in Leixlip for ten years. We are a very active family and never have time to be bored. We have always felt safe and privilaged to live in such a beautiful scenic area, steeped in history and so close Dublin. I'm not sure what your hobbies are or indeed if you have any but here are just some of the activities various members of our family have been involved in over the years. (all within walking distance) Played hurling and Gaelic (women's and men's) at Our local GAA club, Soccer at our local Confey soccer club, Canoeing at the Salmon Leap canoeing club, golf at the local lucan golf club, (walking distance from Leixlip village), attended the well equiped gym at the Leixlip amenities, where some of us have also done various classes including, tennis, badminton, martial arts, gymnastics, basketball and once a week I go running with the Lé Chéile running club at the amenities. none of us are particularly sporty but do activities for fun aswell as fitness. There are tons of different night classes you can take at Colaiste Ciaran, everything from languages to learning the guitar. St. Catherine's Park is a gorgeous place to walk the dog or listen to music while having a stroll.
    Liffey Valley is only down the road, about 15mins on the bus, if you don't drive and so is Maynooth (which has bustling night life)
    There's a musical sociey if that's your thing and a lively trad music scene which host weekly sessions, Zumba dance classes too. These are only a few of the things Leixlip has to offer.....I could go on and on
    You sound like you might be one of those people who sits at home moaning that the pub was quiet instead of actually actively looking for things to do and people to meet. If you are, I don't think it will matter where you live!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm actually surprised its even classed as a town. My impression was that it was a village. Its a good commuter town for Dublin, but then again so is Maynooth.

The main street needs a facelift, like so many towns around the country.

If its good pubs then Maynooth is your place

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Orion wrote: »
    Go in either gate and park up near the hotel.

Map:
    http://www.cartonhouse.com/upload/docs/Carton-Walking-Trails.pdf

are they just for walking or can kids bring their bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Well I am 31 and live in Celbridge but my mother and her family is all in Leixlip [she was born and reared on the main street]
    I say I am from Leixlip as well as most of my younger years were mostly spent there.
    Leixlip is a hell of allot nicer to live in then Celbridge.
    Unless you tell us what it is you are looking for none of us can help. if your young head to Maynooth and hang out with the collage crowed.

Yes the pub/club area is poor but show me any town without a collage that is any different in the last three years
    its far from a pub town like Athy or Celbridge ect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Well I am 31 and live in Celbridge but my mother and her family is all in Leixlip [she was born and reared on the main street]
    I say I am from Leixlip as well as most of my younger years were mostly spent there.
    Leixlip is a hell of allot nicer to live in then Celbridge.
    Unless you tell us what it is you are looking for none of us can help. if your young head to Maynooth and hang out with the collage crowed.

Yes the pub/club area is poor but show me any town without a collage that is any different in the last three years
    its far from a pub town like Athy or Celbridge ect

Go back to Leixlip so :D
    I've family who think the opposite to you (Celbridge nicer than Leixlip that is) it's all about personal preference.
    Some people don't take to an area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement