Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not impressed by Leixlip

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Is that an offer on my house ?
    lovely 4bed semi in abbey farm with a big garden :D

Id love to move to Leixlip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I'll tell them to keep an eye out in Abbey farm. They're in Rinawade and are looking in Oldtown Mill at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There is plenty to do in Leixlip, you just need to get out an look for it. There is also a great community spirit.

True Maynooth and Celbridge have much bigger town centres, but their connections to Dublin city centre are nowhere near as good, especially Celbridge's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

So how does Leixlip compare to Celbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

livEwirE wrote: »

Its like asking how does a mars bar compare to a twix..!!!

• Advertisement

Leixlip is better :D:rolleyes:

dep on what you looking for,Leixlip is a town and celbridge is still a village with alot of houseing around it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Stealthirl wrote: »

dep on what you looking for,Leixlip is a town and celbridge is still a village with alot of houseing around it :P

'Leixlip', is a town with a supervalu and lidl. celbridge is a 'village' with tesco, aldi and lidl.
    I lived in leixlip for 3 years, spent my time going to celbridge, thought I'd save petrol, moved to celbridge ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Leixlip has a street of pubs, no shops, no supermarket, and a petrol station halfway to Celbridge.

Celbridge, much as I dislike the place, has shops, has Tesco, etc, etc. Leixlip's the bloated village in this case.

so the supervalue and eurospar dont count ?
    Tesco in celbridge is very bad,i end up in maynooth tesco most of the time.

celbridge main street is full of pubs,theres better small shops in leixlip and leixlip has a fire station,town council ect

so tesco go to maynooth as its a better store
    aldi ? shure there all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

This thread reminded me of this

• Advertisement

so the supervalue and eurospar dont count ?
    Tesco in celbridge is very bad,i end up in maynooth tesco most of the time.

celbridge main street is full of pubs,theres better small shops in leixlip and leixlip has a fire station,town council ect

so tesco go to maynooth as its a better store
    aldi ? shure there all over the place.

Supervalu and Spar are large convenience stores, not supermarkets.

Leixlip having a toothless "town council" does not counteract the massive structural deficit it has. It is a small village with gargantuan poorly planned 70s and 80s housing developments around it.

I don't live in either of them so I'm not suffering the "my town's better so nyah!" blindness you seem to have.

Surely admitting that you usually end up shopping in Maynooth shows that Leixlip doesn't have the suitable facilities to be called a town?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

How are the estates poorly planned? Granted Castle Park was built on a floodplain but there's nothing wrong with the likes of Ryevale (issue with 4 houses built on a dump but that has been fixed..), Castletown, Oaklawn, Forest Park, Elton Court and Leixlip Park. All are close to or beside shops and schools, same story with bus stops and the train station. Some of them are very big estates alright, but nothing wrong with that? They all have active residents associations and they all do well in Tidy Estates etc.

It is the newer estates- Cluain Dara, Gleneaston, Rinawade, Loughnamona that weren't planned the best. All of them are a considerable walk to schools, bus stops, train station though they do have the one shop. Even then it could be a lot worse..

Supervalu and Eurospar are not supermarkets, but plenty of people find them sufficient day-to-day. Even then Dunnes and Tesco aren't far away at all.

Leixlip's not poorly planned (as this is Ireland that's more of an accident really). For it's many housing estates, they're quite densely packed meaning the delivery of services is relatively easy. How many towns of its size can support two train stations, 4 Dublin Bus routes (66/a/b/x) and a full Nitelink service? The only badly planned bit was Beech Park, which co-incidentally is the only real celtic tiger era estate.

As for supermarkets, between Supervalu and Lidl there is really no need to leave the town to do grocery shopping.

Leixlip sprawled along a railway line that wasn't serving it at all at the time, and never had any proper provision of services at the time of its sprawl - that which came later was only the essentials.

Its still a village with no shops, and 15k people. That it had a two storey cottage as its Garda station until recently and a sewerage system that leaves the village stinking in summer shows this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Leixlip is essentially a village in the river Liffey Valley that was surrounded by extensive housing estates in the 1970s and 1980s.

The town has a distinctive "wedge" shape with the town "centre" at its southernmost extremity and the rail line acting as a barrier to development to its north and west. As MYOB opined, Leixlip was not well planned when it was developed - the town does not have the retail services required for its 15k population. But many Irish dormitory towns also suffered from these problems and Celbridge is actually another good example.

It is fortunate that it is served by a rail line but this line doesn't even run near the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I've only been living in Leixlip for the past year, but I've generally found it to be a nice place to live. Although, as the previous poster said, it does have its flaws. But I'm willing to overlook them as the town itself has character, which is more than you can say for many towns & villages around Ireland (especially satellite towns).

MYOB wrote: »
    Its still a village with no shops
    Please, stick to facts. No need for exaggeration or mis-truths.
    That it had a two storey cottage as its Garda station until recently
    All in the past. Now home to the divisional HQ.
    and a sewerage system that leaves the village stinking in summer shows this.
    Ironically other towns being connected into the Leixlip system is a large part of the problem.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It is fortunate that it is served by a rail line but this line doesn't even run near the town centre.
    The areas of most population are not in the town centre either, so this is a good thing.

n97 mini wrote: »
    The areas of most population are not in the town centre either, so this is a good thing.

A denuded village centre due to poor planning is never a "good thing".

Neither is having your Garda station a massive distance from it due to the self same poor planning.

A denuded village centre due to poor planning is never a "good thing".
    Pretty much every town in Ireland has almost no-one living in the town centre. I learned this is Geography class in the 80s. It's not new. You can't build many/any 3-bed semis in town centres. Most live in estates and houses built around towns.
    Neither is having your Garda station a massive distance from it due to the self same poor planning.
    It's a quarter of a mile from Main St., but we won't let truth stand in the way of exaggeration. Besides that it's a divisional HQ, covering a massive area. By definition it can't be near everyone at once.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Pretty much every town in Ireland has almost no-one living in the town centre. I learned this is Geography class in the 80s. It's not new. You can't build many/any 3-bed semis in town centres. Most live in estates and houses built around towns.

It's a quarter of a mile from Main St., but we won't let truth stand in the way of exaggeration. Besides that it's a divisional HQ, covering a massive area. By definition it can't be near everyone at once.

Very few towns have their town centre shoved off to one side with nobody living in it.

The only people who try and justify Leixlip not being poorly planned are those that have bought property there, it appears.

Very few towns have their town centre shoved off to one side with nobody living in it.
    Please, enough exaggeration already. Leixlip has its fair share of apartments in and around the town centre.
    The only people who try and justify Leixlip not being poorly planned are those that have bought property there, it appears.
    It appears the only people who argue it's poorly planned are those didn't!

Personally I wouldn't be telling someone whose house is less than 5 minutes walk from a suburban train station, DB bus stops, a primary school, a secondary school, supermarket, a couple of pubs, a couple of take-aways, church, library, community centre, barbershop, hairdressers, dry cleaner, etc etc etc that their area is badly planned.

No, each to their own I say. There are better and worse places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I have to say I've lived here for 23 years and not one been negatively affected by its poor planning except maybe the opening times of the old garda station. I live in one of the older estates, I've had short walks to primary and secondary schools, short walks to shops, very short walk to the good network of bus routes to town. I'm not sure how much you can expect of the a town that was a sleepy village in the 1960's. Maynooth is different, it was always a town but Leixlip is not a prime example of bad planning. The garda station is beside Ryevale, Ryemount, Rockingham and Louisa Valley, opposite Green Lane and a short walk from Cedar Park and Oaklawn. It's located at a major junction. Yes it's not in the village but the village is not a centre of population- maybe it could have been but the rivers and the Guinness lands block it off quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aagghh

From spending a lot of thime in these towns but not actually from them i think Leixlip is deffinitely the best as it has real character, Maynooth used to be a good student town but has turned into a rough kip if you ask me, Celbridge isnt bad, some of the pubs are decent

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

5 year old thread. Please check the date if the last post before resurrecting really old threads. If it's more than a few weeks old, probably best left sleeping

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement